Wimbledon: Britain's Heather Watson almost causes huge upset against Serena Williams

Blackleaf
British tennis star Heather Watson almost knocked out five-times champion Serena Williams in a match that has stunned Wimbledon.

In a battle of David versus Goliath, relative unknown Miss Watson, 23, pushed her American opponent, 33, to her limit.

But, proving why she's the world number one, Williams snatched the victory after an intensely fought game.

It's only the second time the plucky Brit, who ranks 59 in the world, has even reached this stage of the tournament, while world champion Williams was the heavy favourite to take home this year's title.

Guernsey girl Watson won the second set to take the match into a third and deciding set and she even found herself 3-0 up and two breaks up in that deciding set. Yet even that wasn't enough to see her claim a famous victory over Williams.

Wat a tragedy! Heather Watson wins nation's heart as she nearly knocks red hot favourite Serena Williams out of Wimbledon

British No 1 Heather Watson took on her childhood hero Serena Williams

The 23-year-old revealed she even had a poster of her idol on her wall

Plucky Brit tested the five-time Wimbledon champion in close fought game

After one of the greatest matches on centre court she lost out to Williams

By Stephanie Linning for MailOnline and Hannah Parry For Mailonline
3 July 2015
Daily Mail

Serena William (US) beat Heather Watson (GB) 6-2 4-6 7-5

British tennis star Heather Watson almost knocked out five-times champion Serena Williams in a match that has stunned Wimbledon.

In a battle of David versus Goliath, relative unknown Miss Watson, 23, pushed her American opponent, 33, to her limit.

But, proving why she's the world number one, Williams snatched the victory after an intensely fought game.

It's only the second time the plucky Brit, who ranks 59 in the world, has even reached this stage of the tournament, while world champion Williams was the heavy favourite to take home this year's title.

Proving why she's the champion: Serena Williams snatched victory back from Watson after a closely fought game

British tennis star Heather Watson (left) nearly defeated her childhood hero - five-times champion Serena Williams (right) - in game that has stunned Wimbledon.

Williams of the United States shakes hands after victory with Watson of Great Britain after their Ladies Singles Third Round match

A good sportswoman: Watson applauds the victor after a tough game which took its toll on both players

But in an incredible game, the young player shocked tennis fans by producing what is probably one of the best points of her career.

Henman Hill was packed out with staff craning for monitors to watch the action as Watson captivated Wimbledon.

It was incredibly close as the reigning champion, who has won 21 grand slams, and the relative unknown appeared to be neck and neck.

Veteran Williams, rattled by the challenger, had to battle to level up after Watson took an early lead.

She went onto win three games in a row as the pressure appeared to get to the rising Wimbledon star.

But the 23-year-old, who said she grew up with posters of her idol Williams on her walls, refused to give up.

After being pegged back, Watson turned the tables on Williams and breaked to go 5-4 up with the crowd right behind the Brit.

Williams later returned the favour to give Watson a taste of her own medicine.

Emotional: Guernsey girl Heather Watson only narrowly lost out against her childhood tennis idol Serena Williams

Watson and her mother Michelle (right) react to the game which was incredibly close as the reigning champion, who has won 21 grand slams, and the relative unknown appeared to be neck and neck until Williams took a late win

The crowd - who was behind Watson for the game - react to the news that the 23-year-old Brit had lost

Watson fails to emulate Sue Barker

It is 36 years since a British woman last beat a world number one, when Sue Barker -who is now the BBC's Wimbledon TV coverage presenter - beat Chris Evert in Boston in 1979.

In a game fans will be talking about for years, the 20 grand-slam champion pushed back with everything she had to beat Watson 6-2, 4-6, 7-5.

However, it was Watson who won the hearts of the crowds who backed her throughout the game.

After the match, Williams praised her opponent and admitted: 'That was definitely one of my toughest ever matches on Centre Court.

'She absolutely has every chance to reach the top 20 in the world and beyond Ö she was playing so good at times, there was little I could do.

'Heather played unbelievably. She gave her all.'

Within minutes of the game ending Britain's men's No 1 Andy Murray had paid his own tribute to her brave performance, telling his Twitter followers the display had made him 'really effing proud'.

Rattled: The world no 1 was battling to keep up with the young challenger

Despite the disappointment of coming so close to defeating the best player on the planet, Watson took heart from her pulsating display at SW19 while praising the mental fortitude of her opponent.

'I've learnt I can compete with the best in the world,' said Watson.

'I feel like when she needs to hit the line or hit a winner, she can. And that's what she did.'

'This time around this isn't my first or second Wimbledon, I've been here a few times now, I've got a feeling for playing against the top players.

'At the end of the day everybody's human, everybody's going to make mistakes, and have good days and bad days.

'But she's the one to beat, she's always the favourite in every tournament she plays.'

Miss Watson, from Guernsey, has already won a minimum of £77,000 in prize money in this year's tournament, bringing her total career winnings to just under £1million.

While it is a bank balance most women in their early 20s could only dream of, it is just a fraction of the £44million Serena Williams has won in her 20 years since turning pro.

Miss Watson, who falls 59 places below Serena in the world rankings, has been a fan of the tennis ace since she was a girl and had a poster her powerhouse sister, Venus, on her bedroom wall.

'I first became aware of her when I came to Wimbledon when I was seven or eight years old and I bought two posters,' she told the Daily Mirror.

'One was Venus and Serena together and one was Roger Federer. So those were the three players that I liked. They went straight up on my wall.'

The British No 1, who played Venus Williams in China last year, said she was 12 or 13 when she met Serena while she was training at the Bollettieri academy in Florida.

'I don't really know her but she does have a presence about her. She is a strong woman, and even if she wasn't a tennis player she would have a presence,' she added.

'Serena's an amazing athlete, a great champion. In matches like this you've got a lot to gain, so it's a real positive to play her,' Watson had said ahead of the match.

Plucky Brit Heather Watson was close to defeating five-times Wimbledon champion - and her childhood idol - Serena Williams

In a real David versus Goliath battle, relative unknown Miss Watson, 23, lost out to her American opponent, 33, who is ranked world No 1

Working for victory: In an incredible game, the young player shocked tennis fans by producing what is probably one of the best points of her career

Veteran Williams, rattled by the challenger, had to battle to hard to level up - winning three games in a row as the pressure appeared to get to Watson

Support: Miss Watson was cheered on by a large group of her family including her mother Michelle, pictured, who wolf-whistled loudly and called out encouragement to her daughter

Miss Watson edged past the number 32 seed Caroline Garcia of France in her opening match. On Tuesday she cruised past former world number five Daniela Hantuchova in straight sets.

The 32-year-old Slovakian is ranked 46 in the world compared with Miss Watsonís ranking of 64.

But the Briton triumphed 6-4 6-2 in just 81 minutes, earning a standing ovation from the crowd on Court One and becoming the first Briton through to this year's third round.

Miss Watson was cheered on by a large group of her family including her mother Michelle, who wolf-whistled loudly and called out encouragement to her daughter throughout the game.

After her victory, Miss Watsonís grandmother Jean Watson, 85, said: ĎIím very, very proud. When I get home, Iím going to go right to the top of Blackpool Tower and shout about it as loud as I can!í

Miss Watson will need all the support she can get when she steps out on to Centre Court today, with Andy Murray warning she faces 'the biggest test in tennis'.

He said: 'I saw a bit of Serena's match yesterday. She looked highly motivated from the beginning.

'She looked pretty fired up, so it's going to be an extremely difficult match for Heather. Probably the biggest test in tennis right now, I'd think.

'She's going to have the crowd with her and has to try to use that to her advantage, try not to be intimidated.

'I'm not going into tactics, but she needs to go for it, try not to let Serena dictate and serve well. If she can do that it will make a big difference.'

On Tuesday Watson cruised past former world number five Daniela Hantuchova in straight sets (pictured)

Serena Williams, pictured after her match with Timea Babos, is the favourite to take home the title

Former tennis player Sue Barker admitted it would be a 'tall order' for Heather but said 'everybody is beatable'.

'She has got to go out there and say "People have done this before",' she told the Daily Mirror.

'If Serena is on, she is going to be hard to beat. But Serena has had defeats here, and if you are going to beat Serena here at Wimbledon it is probably going to be earlier on, because she gets better and better as the tournament goes on.

'Heather is feisty and I don't think she is going to be intimidated.'
And it appears Williams was not complacent going into the match, saying it 'won't be easy'.

'She has got nothing to lose,' she said. 'Home court will be a huge advantage for her and it will be a big match for us both.

'She plays well on grass but I don't know her at all. I see her around the locker room, she is always smiling and seems super sweet.'

Read more: Heather Watson nearly beats Serena Williams at Wimbledon winning Britain's heart | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Blackleaf
Britain's Andy Murray has taken the first set 6-4 against Canada's Vasek Pospisil in the Wimbledon Quarter Final. It's currently 4-4 in the second.

The Centre Court roof is closed due to rain so the loud, partisan crowd cheering for the British player will be even louder under the roof.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Another Brit almost winning? For the rest of us almost winning is referring to as losing.

DaSleeper
TLDR

Blackleaf
Wimbledon: Men's Singles Quarter Final

Murray breaks Pospisil and takes the second set 7-5.

The Canadian has it all to do now to beat the British No1 and Wimbledon second favourite.

When will Pospisil learn? He attracts the former champion to the net with a dropper - but Murray is to it in a flash, crunching a forehand down the line. From balletic to brutal as he lasers an ace by Pospisil for 40-15, and the game comes to a satisfactory conclusion, the Canadian sent floundering on the baseline as Murray bosses it from the middle of the court.

Get involved via #bbctennis

BHF26: Andy Murray two sets! Brilliant tennis from Andy, all tactics/game strategy going to plan! Andy will seal the match in this set.
Alice: Pospisil is playing really well, but Murray's just too good right now, two sets up!

David Beckham and Ashley Young discussing the Raheem Sterling transfer saga as Pospisil vanished for a comfort break. (Disclaimer: no idea what they're laughing about).

Wimbledon 2015: Andy Murray v Vasek Pospisil plus Federer, Djokovic - BBC Sport

Wimbledon: Men's Singles Quarter Final

Murray (GB) beats Pospisil (CAN) 6-4 7-5 6-4

Marking his tenth anniversary of playing at Wimbledon, and being spurred on by a loud, partisan Centre Court crowd, which sounded even louder under the roof, Britain's No1 Andy Murray has beaten Canada's Vasek Pospisil 6-4 7-5 6-4 to reach the Wimbledon Semi-Finals for the fifth time in seven years.

Next up for No3 seed Murray, the 2013 Wimbledon winner, is a mouth-watering Semi-Final against No2 seed Federer.

Stinky sweatband ahoy

Camilla received one of Murray's stinky sweatbands in the first week, but today it's a chance for the masses to fight over his discarded prize.

Andy Roddick
Former world number one on BBC Radio 5 Live

"It's what we thought would happen. We didn't think Pospisil would threaten Murray's serve too much. Murray was so solid.

"I think the roof helped Murray, not that he needed it, though. He looked so comfortable."

Andy Murray: "I have loved playing here over the years. I have always played some of my best tennis here. I hope I can get to another final but it will be a tough one.

"I enjoy the two weeks of Wimbledon. On the court it is stressful but when I look back, I enjoy that. Great support. I know Roger very well, we walked to the practice courts together this morning. Friday is a different story and hopefully we can have a great match."

Murray brothers in the semi-finals

Murray 6-4 7-5 6-4 Pospisil

By reaching the semi-finals of the men's singles and men's doubles events here, Andy and Jamie Murray have become the first brothers to reach the semis in the men's singles and men's doubles events at the same Wimbledon since Australians John and Neale Fraser in 1962.

The Frasers both reached the men's singles and men's doubles semifinals (with different partners) at the 1962 Wimbledon.

Wimbledon 2015: Andy Murray, Novak Djokoic and Roger Federer - BBC Sport
Last edited by Blackleaf; Jul 8th, 2015 at 11:21 AM..

Tecumsehsbones
Murray's a Scot. Wilson's a loser.

England almost won the World Cup (any World Cup).

EagleSmack
+1
#7  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Wat a tragedy! Heather Watson wins nation's heart as she nearly knocks red hot favourite Serena Williams out of Wimbledon

Once again an American defeats a brit.
Quote:

British No 1 Heather Watson took on her childhood hero Serena Williams

The 23-year-old revealed she even had a poster of her idol on her wall

Plucky Brit tested the five-time Wimbledon champion in close fought game

After one of the greatest matches on centre court she lost out to Williams

And brits need to look to Americans for their heroes naturally.

And the Brits are sore losers at their defeat...

Goatofmendez, Mansfield, United Kingdom

The Williams sisters should be banned from womens tennis, it's obvious they are men.

Mike, Hull,

What a truly hateful piece of work Serena is.

Nancy Cholesterholes, on state benefits, United Kingdom,

Watson is a typical loser, I am appalled at her. She should quit the game.

Kreskin
Posposil was totally gassed. Playing doubles and singles and going reasonably deep in both took its toll.

gopher
+1
Queen Serena = # 1 in Ladies tennis!

Tecumsehsbones
+1
And Andy Murray just got shown his place by Roger Federer, proving once again that the great British sporting tradition is of losers who suck so pathetically that they consider third place a stunning victory.

coldstream
So it'll be two 34 year olds.. Roger Federer and Serena Williams competing for the championship come the weekend. It undermines the accepted wisdom that Tennis is a game for early 20 somethings and you are washed up at 27.

Serena is the sole American in the finals, in a game they used to dominate. There is no American man in the top 10.

There is a Canadian though, Milos Raonic at #7. The highest yank is John Isner at #17. What are they going to do when Serena retires. We seem to be all over them in a game they used to consider their own. Tch.. tch.. tch.. hope they're not as sore losers as their reputation alleges.

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

Serena is the sole American in the finals, in a game they used to dominate. There is no American man in the top 10. There is a Canadian though. What are they going to do when Serena retires. We seem to be all over them in a game they used to consider their own.

We will continue to not GAF about tennis as usual.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

So it'll be two 34 year olds.. Roger Federer and Serena Williams competing for the championship come the weekend. It undermines the accepted wisdom that Tennis is a game for early 20 somethings and you are washed up at 27.

Serena is the sole American in the finals, in a game they used to dominate. There is no American man in the top 10.

There is a Canadian though, Milos Raonic at #7. The highest yank is John Isner at #17. What are they going to do when Serena retires. We seem to be all over them in a game they used to consider their own. Tch.. tch.. tch.. hope they're not as sore losers as their reputation alleges.

I think Roger Federer is the greatest tennis player in history. I have no doubt, though, than Raonic "would" undoubtedly beat him in every match they don't play. Federer will likely fare better against Raonic in matches they actually do play, in the real world.

The Old Medic
As we used to say in the Army, "Close" only counts in Horseshoes and Hand Grenades.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old Medic View Post

As we used to say in the Army, "Close" only counts in Horseshoes and Hand Grenades.

As we used to say in the Air Force, "And H-bombs."

gerryh
close/almost is only good in horseshoes and hand grenades.

The head line should read "Brit LOSES to Williams.

Blackleaf

Federer and Williams are both 33. Each is probably also the greatest tennis player ever to grace a tennis court for their respective genders. Britain's No1 Andy Murray, who has played brilliantly throughout his home championships, was just unlucky last night that he came up against a Federer who was playing at the top of his game, and nobody can beat Federer when he's at his best. Federer will beat Djokovic on Sunday - the men's singles Wimbledon final is the most-watched tennis match in the world - to win a record eighth men's singles Wimbledon title if Federer plays like he did yesterday.

Countries with the most Wimbledon men's singles titles:

Great Britain: 36
USA: 33
Australia: 21
France/Sweden/Switzerland: 7
Germany/New Zealand: 4
Spain: 3
Serbia: 2
Croatia/Czechoslovakia/Egypt/Netherlands: 1 (although the only Egyptian to win Wimbledon men's singles title, in 1954, was born Czechoslovakian and then later became British)

Players with the most Wimbledon men's singles titles:

Wille Renshaw (Great Britain): 7
Pete Sampras (USA): 7
Roger Federer (Switzerland): 7

If Federer beats Djokovic in Sunday's final, he will gain a record eighth Wimbledon men's singles title.

Wimbledon 2015: Was this Roger Federer's greatest ever match?

Roger Federer's display was genius but fine margins cost Andy Murray

Greg Rusedski: Briton will not dwell on this defeat and he must now work on his second serve and forehand

Roger Federer was too good for Andy Murray on Friday Photo: AFP

By Greg Rusedski, former British No1
11 Jul 2015
The telegraph
38 Comments

Wimbledon Men's Singles

Semi-Final

Roger Federer (
SUI) beat Andy Murray ( GB) 7-5 7-5 6-4

Andy Murray will be bitterly disappointed, as we all are, that he did not make the final, but in the cold light of day he will come to realise there is little more he could have done to beat Roger Federer, who was close to unplayable.

I am struggling to remember a better performance by Federer, even in his 2004-05 vintage. Andy is considered one of the best returners in the world but he was unable to win a single point off the Federer first serve in the second set. That has probably never happened to Andy in his career. It was just a masterclass. I donít care which player you put in front of Federer yesterday, they would have lost.

He kept Andy off balance from the start. When you hit 56 winners that means you are going for your shots and they are all coming off. It was ridiculous. He also served like a genius and apart from that opening game, Andy was never given a sniff.

Andy showed a lot of heart at 4-5 to get it to 5-5 in the second but then Federer stamped his authority in the next two games. It was not like Andy went into his shell. His resilience was exceptional; he fought from the first ball to the last. It just happened that he was playing a guy who was absolutely inspired. That happens in every sport. Thereís no shame in that.

Andy Murray cannot hide his dismay as his day deteriorates

Genius: Roger Federer (shown above in the match against Andy yesterday) is the greatest tennis player in history. Whoever would have played him yesterday would have lost

Andyís first serve percentage was not remarkably dissimilar to Rogerís (74 per cent v 76 per cent), but the difference was that Andy had one or two games in a set where he was missing the first serve consistently. There was probably not enough variety on the second serve, which Roger exploited.

I also felt he needed to come forward more frequently. Yes, Federer was hitting his passing shots but by staying back he allowed Federer to dictate play from the beginning until the end of the match. He was the one who was bossing it.

These are tiny, tiny margins. Really, Andy did not do too much wrong. It was a sublime performance and for Andy to stay as close as he did for the first two sets is a credit to him because most top-50 players would have been 0-6, 0-6 down.

There should be no knee-jerk response to his defeat. It was a Federer masterclass and there are some days where players just have these days where everything worked. Federer was just too good. It is as black and white as that.

The two players - the world No2 and the world No3 - meet at the net after the match

Andy will get some time off, get ready for the Davis Cup and getting us into the semi-finals. He loves being part of the team and this is probably one of the biggest ties we have had in a long time. After that he will start getting ready for the US Open by working on those two little areas: the second serve and the forehand, which was a little loopy at times.

They are good enough against probably 96 of the top 100 players. Against Federer, Novak Djokovic, Stan Wawrinka and possibly Rafa Nadal then maybe they are not. He just needs to keep on working on those areas and reinforcing them.

What you also have to remember is that Andy is playing in an incredibly competitive era of tennis with Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. Those guys have eight, 14 and 17 major titles each; Andy has two.

It is so difficult to be a multiple grand slam winner because those three have separated themselves as three of the greatest players of all time. Andy is a great player and a great champion, but the other three are just on that rung ahead of him.

Roger Federer served superbly on Friday

The final will be a fascinating psychological and tactical battle. Novak feels he belongs in that same category as Federer, now he has the chance to prove it. Of course, we would have loved a Murray-Djokovic final but Federer issued another reminder as to why he is the greatest player in the history of our game. This was just one of those displays.

Djokovic knows he must take risks in final

Since losing the French Open final, Novak Djokovic has reverted to his natural instincts by playing more defensively in these Championships.

Although his serve has been very impressive, there are areas of vulnerability. The forehand has not been as sharp as it can be and the forehand up the line has not been as effective as it has been throughout the year.

But he has been doing what heís needed to do. We have not seen the best of him in these Championships, but that is the sign of a great champion. Against a very tired Richard Gasquet, he did not need to get out of second gear.

Novak Djokovic has played it safe for much of the tournament

Gasquet offered up far too many unforced errors and cheap points that Djokovic feasted on. It is unlikely he will get half as many in the final when he will have to adopt a different frame of mind. It will not be enough simply to batten down the hatches; he has to take risks.

At his best, Djokovic is by far the No 1 player on the planet. The question mark for him has always been proving that in finals. The statistic I keep coming back to is that he has lost six of his last nine grand-slam finals. Harsh as it sounds, but that needs to improve.

If you look at the French Open final against Stan Wawrinka in the first set he was flying and then in the second set his forehand got a little bit shorter as he got more nervous. The pace of his ball when he gets tight grows shorter and does not have as much penetration. When he is relaxed and loose, he is second to none with his connection.

After that defeat, this is a really important final for Djokovic to prove his class.

Wimbledon 2015: Roger Federer's display was genius but fine margins cost Andy Murray - Telegraph

WIMBLEDON WOMEN'S SINGLES FINAL 2015

SERENA WILLIAMS VS GARBINE MUGURUZA

It's the penultimate day's play at the 2015 Wimbledon Tennis Championships at the All England Club in Wimbledon in the London Borough of Merton.

No1 seed Serena Williams and No20 seed Garbine Muguruza - the 21-year-old is making her first appearance in a Grand Slam Final - have just entered Centre Court for the 2015 Women's Singles Final.

Keep up to date with proceedings here.

Wimbledon women's final: Serena Williams v Garbine Muguruza - BBC Sport
Last edited by Blackleaf; Jul 11th, 2015 at 06:32 AM..

DaSleeper
Just more Blackie Flag waving............................................ .

coldstream
Quote:

Quote originally by Blackleaf - Federer and Williams are both 33. Each is
probably also the greatest tennis player ever to grace a tennis court for their
respective genders. Britain's No1 Andy Murray, who has played brilliantly
throughout his home championships, was just unlucky last night that he came up
against a Federer who was playing at the top of his game, and nobody can beat
Federer when he's at his best. Federer will beat Djokovic on Sunday - the men's
singles Wimbledon final is the most-watched tennis match in the world - to win a
record eighth men's singles Wimbledon title if Federer plays like he did
yesterday

Well okay Roger will turn 34 in August, Serena in September.. so you get my point.

Djokovic is going to be odds on favourite to beat Federer tomorrow. Aging for these truly great players like Federer doesn't usually characterise itself in a steady dissipation of skills.. what goes is the rail like consistency match in and match out.

They can still bring out superlative performances, like Federer did against Murray, and look every bit as good as they did in their prime.. they just can't do it as predictably. I'll pull for Federer.. but i wouldn't be putting money on him.. if i was a betting man that is.
Last edited by coldstream; Jul 11th, 2015 at 02:01 PM..

Tecumsehsbones
So, Blackleaf, not going to make excuses for Murray's loss?

Perhaps there is hope.

Blackleaf

Well okay Roger will turn 34 in August, Serena in September.. so you get my point.

Djokovic is going to be odds on favourite to beat Federer tomorrow. Aging for these truly great players like Federer doesn't usually characterise itself in a steady dissipation of skills.. what goes is the rail like consistency match in and match out.

They can still bring out superlative performances, like Federer did against Murray, and look every bit as good as they did in their prime.. they just can't do it as predictably. I'll pull for Federer.. but i wouldn't be putting money on him.. if i was a betting man that is.

Somme British bookies are making Djokovic the favourite, whilst others are making Federer the favourite. I'm tipping Federer. If he plays like he did against Murray on Friday then nobody has a chance against him, even Djokovic.

As for age, there was a guy on Test Match Special's coverage of the Ashes between England and Australia on BBC Radio 5 Live yesterday who was talking about the fact that a lot of the Aussies players are getting on a bit as cricketers. He mentioned that batsmen in cricket are actually often better in their early 30s than they are when they are 20 or 21 because they are stronger mentality, having got used to the pressure over the years of playing at such a high level in front of thousands of spectators and with the press scrutiny etc, and they are also better physically, because bones in the human body don't finish hardening until you are in your mid-20s, so batsmen in their early 30s, say, will be more physically suited to batting than batsmen who are ten or fifteen years youngers. So cricket batsmen are often at their best when they are in their early 30s. So I'm sure that if all that applies to cricketers then it must apply to tennis players.

Blackleaf
Djokovic has taken the first set of the Wimbledon Men's Singles Final 7-6 after winning the tiebreak 7-1.

But BBC Sport has run a poll on who most people think will win the match.

The vote is now closed. Here are the results:

Novak Djokovic
27.7%

Roger Federer
72.3%

Federer is looking to overtake Great Britain's Willie Renshaw and USA's Pete Sampras and claim a record eighth Wimbledon Men's Singles title.

Tecumsehsbones
Always good to have a sports final without whiny-a ss Briddish in it.

Happens an awful lot, mind, but it's still nice.

Blackleaf
Federer has taken the second set 7-6 after winning the tiebreak 12-10. It's all square. It looks as though it's going to be a mammoth five set thriller. This is what sporting entertainment truly is.

Benedict Cumberbatch offers his father a sip of his bottled water at the changeover.

Everyone catching their breath after a supernaturally good finale to the previous set. Federer soaking up the applause. Phew.

But the Swiss must prepare to battle once more, gifting his opponent two break points.

Joy for the Federer fans on Henman Hill

Wimbledon 2015 men's final: Novak Djokovic v Roger Federer - BBC Sport

Djokovic has taken the third set 6-4 after a brief break in play due to rain.

Why they've not closed the roof is beyond me.

Wimbledon 2015: Novak Djokovic beats Roger Federer in final

By Piers Newbery
BBC Sport at Wimbledon
12 July 2015

Djokovic (Ser) beats Federer (Sui) 7-6 (7-1) 6-7 (10-12) 6-4 6-3

Djokovic overtakes the likes of Jimmy Connors, Andre Agassi and Ivan Lendl in the all-time list of major winners.

Defending champion Novak Djokovic saw off seven-time champion Roger Federer in four sets to win his third Wimbledon and ninth Grand Slam title.

The Serb, 28, won 7-6 (7-1) 6-7 (10-12) 6-4 6-3 to overtake the likes of Jimmy Connors, Andre Agassi and Ivan Lendl in the all-time list of major winners.

Federer, 33, had hoped to become the first man to win Wimbledon eight times.

The Swiss won a thrilling second set tie-break but Djokovic came through to win in two hours and 56 minutes.

He adds a third victory at the All England Club to one US Open and five Australian Open titles, and the Serb has now won 48 matches and lost just three in 2015.

The world number one's most recent defeat came against Stan Wawrinka in last month's French Open final, but five weeks later he has gone some way to making up for missing out on the one major title to still elude him.

Andy Roddick, three-time Wimbledon finalist

"Coming off the back of the disappointment of the French Open, in the first week he was a little understated. To get through and win is a great effort from Djokovic. Great effort from Federer, but there is a reason why Novak is number one in the world."

Federer had given his supporters real hope that he could overturn last year's final defeat by Djokovic after his stunning serving performance in the semi-final win over Andy Murray.

It was Djokovic who came up with the big serves when it mattered, however, saving six of seven break points, two of them on set points in the opening set.

The Serb gets his hand on tennis's greatest trophy for the third time

After Federer failed to consolidate an early break his first serve deserted him in the tie-break and Djokovic took advantage, moving into a 6-1 lead before the Swiss double-faulted to hand it over.

The Serb won 14 of 15 points and then fended off two more break points in game five with his forehand as Federer continued to play catch-up.

When Djokovic worked his way to a set point for a two-set lead, he appeared to be closing in on victory, but the top seed sent a forehand long and a breathtaking half hour of tennis followed.

Three gripping games of cut and thrust heralded another tie-break, and the 15,000 spectators on Centre Court could barely contain themselves as Djokovic saw a 6-3 lead slip away after a stunning Federer backhand.

Djokovic became increasingly animated as the set points came and went, a seventh when he missed a regulation rally ball, and the crowd erupted when Federer converted his second at the net.

Amid the cheering in the stands, the top seed smacked his racquet angrily into his foot and shook his head in disbelief as he returned to his chair.

It was apparently enough to clear his head and, far from suffering a crisis in confidence, the defending champion would dominate the remainder of the match.

He pushed hard for a break at the start of the third, missing two break points in game one before Federer netted under pressure in game three.

A rain delay might have disrupted the Serb's rhythm but the shower passed within 15 minutes, with no need for the roof to be brought over, and Djokovic saw out the set comfortably on the resumption.

Now constantly threatening the Federer serve, a sharp return to the 17-time Grand Slam champion's feet gave Djokovic the crucial breakthrough for 3-2 in the fourth.

There were tense moments for the champion when he had to recover from 0-30 at 4-3, seemingly angered by someone in the crowd, and he roared in their direction after holding serve.

The altercation merely fired up Djokovic even more and he won six straight points on his way to match point, before firing a forehand into the corner and flinging his arms in the air in celebration.

Djokovic then repeated his tradition of previous Centre victories by eating some of the famous court's grass, while coach Boris Becker and his team celebrated in the stands.

BBC Sport - Wimbledon 2015: Novak Djokovic beats Roger Federer in final