Nova Scotia may turn Orange

Jersay
So we already have two NDP provinces. Wouldn't it be great if the NDP controlled each and every province.

Corporate Research Associates June 5

Cons: 38

NDP: 36

Liberal: 20

Jay
Ya sure! Ontario would love to be controlled by anti-corporation freaks.

FiveParadox
Liberal
I quite favour Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition (in my own Province of British Columbia , the New Democratic Party of British Columbia ). However, as for the other Provinces of Canada , I am largely unaware of their opinions and practices and, to that end, it would be somewhat inappropriate for me to be an advocate for that party in those other jurisdictions.

Jay
I thought they sunk your province?

FiveParadox
Liberal
They caused major problems, yes; however, I am convinced enough that the conduct of this party under Carole James , M.L.A. , the Member for Victoria—Beacon Hill and the Leader of the Official Opposition , would be quite different from that of this party in previous Parliaments of British Columbia . Just my opinion, of course.

EastSideScotian
Quote: Originally Posted by Jersay

So we already have two NDP provinces. Wouldn't it be great if the NDP controlled each and every province.

Thats a bad idea....They do have some good points though...I will be voteing NDP, because for Nova Scotia right now, we need a change, and they are offering some good ideas, so I say why not give them a try....

As for them running evry province, no...NS isnt in a very good spot right now...NDP can probly get us out of that spot, But Liberals and Torys know how to run something...leave the real work to the big boys

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation

That is a pipe dream at best. There is no need to have Jack Layton clones running provincial affiars. Ontario still has a bitter taste in it's mouth from the Rae Days...

Jay
If I'm not mistaken the NDP lost official party status in Ontario, again....

FiveParadox
Liberal
I think everyone was surprised in the Province of British Columbia , when the New Democratic Party of British Columbia captured thirty-three of the seventy-five seats, and garnered more than forty per cent of the popular vote.

Jay
I'll bet they were....

BitWhys
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka

...Ontario still has a bitter taste in it's mouth from the Rae Days...

Bob Rae spared Ontario from five straight years of full blown recession and considering it hosts a financial hub probably the rest of the country in the process.

not that its appreciated.

Doer might not last much longer in Manitoba. He's done alright for us and he's good on the national stage and all but his cabinet is getting pretty damn creaky and there's been some MAJOR snafus the last few years.

Jay
Poor Bob....

Did anyone like him when he was done?

aeon

This is good news, i've always dreamed of an alliance beetween the bloc and NPD, and we never know, if separation of quebec doesnt work, we could see the bloc allying themselves with NPD, they have basically the same agenda.

Chake99
Personally I think the NDP make an excellent official opposition, though I do not have the greatest faith in them when it comes to forming governments. Both in Ontario and in BC, where I actually know the story of what happened when they came to power, they seemed to have seriously messed things up.

Quote:

Bob Rae spared Ontario from five straight years of full blown recession and considering it hosts a financial hub probably the rest of the country in the process.

not that its appreciated.

You're right.

About the latter part I mean, the issue of appreciation.

BitWhys
Do you have any idea what would have happened to Ontario if Rae hadn't run those deficits?

Most people don't.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
Here is a little tidbit about Bob Rae from wiki. He not the saviour you would like to make hiom out to be. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Rae
In addition, the Rae government initially underestimated the extent of the North American recession. Their first budget projected a deficit of almost ten billion dollars, and enacted a series of spending programs to mitigate the worst effects of an economic lag. Some have described this budget as following a Keynesian orthodoxy, spending money in the public sector to stimulate employment and productivity. Unfortunately, the monies provided for in the budget were insufficient against the recession, and did not create enough productivity. Thomas Walkom described the budget as "the worst of both worlds" -- angering the business community, but not doing enough to provide for public relief. For some, the budget reinforced a popular stereotype of the NDP as irresponsible spenders.

Mogz
Conservative
Alberta and Ontario will never turn fully NDP. That just won't happen, neither will Quebec. The NDP are living in a time warp, their views and/or practices don't fit in to the 21st Century. Then again, that's just my views. I'd rather see the Liberal Party in power any day of the week over the NDP, and I hate the Liberals. Imagine what I think of the NDP. Hell I even like the Bloc more than the NDP....kidding on that one :P

aeon
Quote: Originally Posted by Mogz

Alberta and Ontario will never turn fully NDP. That just won't happen, neither will Quebec. The NDP are living in a time warp, their views and/or practices don't fit in to the 21st Century. Then again, that's just my views. I'd rather see the Liberal Party in power any day of the week over the NDP, and I hate the Liberals. Imagine what I think of the NDP. Hell I even like the Bloc more than the NDP....kidding on that one :P

The one who doesnt fit for the 21st century, are the conservatives, They would abolish the women abolition right, if they could, something, that we have never heard since the 70s, they are against gay period, something we have never heard since at least the 80s, they are using repetitive stupid propaganda on terrorism just like many others in history, which i won't name, you know i feel like i am back in the 40's with conservatives in power.

Jay
Quote:

They would abolish the women abolition right

Thanks for the laugh Aeon!

Have a good weekend.

FiveParadox
Liberal
[quote="Jay"]
Quote: Originally Posted by [i

aeon[/i]]]They would abolish the women abolition right

I am a steadfast opponent of the right to abolish women.

O_o

BitWhys
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka

Here is a little tidbit about Bob Rae from wiki. He not the saviour you would like to make hiom out to be. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Rae
In addition, the Rae government initially underestimated the extent of the North American recession. Their first budget projected a deficit of almost ten billion dollars, and enacted a series of spending programs to mitigate the worst effects of an economic lag. Some have described this budget as following a Keynesian orthodoxy, spending money in the public sector to stimulate employment and productivity. Unfortunately, the monies provided for in the budget were insufficient against the recession, and did not create enough productivity. Thomas Walkom described the budget as "the worst of both worlds" -- angering the business community, but not doing enough to provide for public relief. For some, the budget reinforced a popular stereotype of the NDP as irresponsible spenders.

Factor out the direct contribution Rae's defict spending had on the provincial GDP and Ontario would have been treated to 4 straight years of negative growth, not just the one he walked into and the one he dealt with during his first year in office. That alone would have had businessmen running for the hills, not just the manufacturers who were abandoning the branch plants courtesy of the FTA. Ontario's economy was already pooched when he got strapped with the job and already running a deficit of over $3B.

Exclude the deficit he inherited, factor for inflation and in straight numbers alone Ontario came out over $14B ahead of the game forget about the people he kept employed and the Bay Street suicides he prevented.

ok

maybe that last part isn't exactly a plus but I'd rather leave consideration of that sort of morals out of the debate if you don't mind.

BitWhys
hang on

I think I goofed a formula...

BitWhys
nah

that's right

$14.75B

ON EDIT:

found it.

$18.24B, but I really will need a second opinion.

BitWhys
here Toro, I'm sure you'll think of something so let me get you started.

BitWhys, you are being disingenuous because...

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
I hope the NDP wins in Nova Scotia and I am looking forward to them returning to power here in BC

Vicious
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadox

I think everyone was surprised in the Province of British Columbia , when the New Democratic Party of British Columbia captured thirty-three of the seventy-five seats, and garnered more than forty per cent of the popular vote.

A petty point that I wouldn't bring up with anyone other than you. BC has seventy-nine seats. Currently 46 are Liberals and 33 are NDP.

And you forgot to mention that Gordon Campbell is even more uncomfortable in his skin than Stephen Harper, was busted for DUI in Hawaii and still won a majority. That tells you how bad the NDP is in BC or how good the Liberals have been for BC. Carole James has alienated labour to move closer to business and hasn't gained any support from the business side. Her best feature is that she's not Glen Clark.

Karlin
Having THREE major Federal political parties is good for democracy.

It is a big advantage over the USA system, where we see the two parites both being on the same path. With three, that cannot happen as easily.

However, since Canada has never elected an NDP government, they are somewhat irrelevant. Only until they are elected tho.

I think we should give them a try!!

Nuggler
Scotia could probably do worse.

I remember Bob Rae and people whining about "Rae Days", where one worked 4 days instead of 5, thusly keeping people employed. The loss of one days pay hurt, but not as much as loss of a job.

We were in a recession when he was Ont. premier; he didn't create it.

He did get continuously broadsided by big business for "not doing enough", and by labour for "not doing enough".

I think he blinked. Too bad.

Tried to be all things to all people

However, I don't believe I would ever vote for "photo-op" Layton. Too smooth fer a rough hewn workie like meself.

But, then again, politicos pretty much all suck. IMHO

Jersay
From what the NDP was in B.C at only 2 seats in the last election to get an extra 31 seats and almost make a run for government in the early stages in B.C was glorious watching it on t.v.

And watching those teenagers or young twenties guys saying NDP NDP was really great.

Now, I wouldn't say never, say never for the NDP in all provinces. It has been in Ontario, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, B.C, now possibly Nova Scotia.

dekhqonbacha
In my map on the wall the whole Canada is orange; does it mean that NDP is ruling all over Canada?