Tesla to cut thousands of jobs as Elon Musk warns the ‘road ahead is very difficult’


petros
+3
#1951
gasoline-fueled...

Sweet! Diesel engines on NG rock.
 
taxslave
+1
#1952
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

gasoline-fueled...
Sweet! Diesel engines on NG rock.

Except they lack power and the trucks I have seen lack tank capacity.
 
taxslave
+1
#1953
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Ya almost have to wonder why they didn't pass the legislation for immediate effect.... Interesting, non?

What? And have to suffer the consequences of their incompetence?
 
petros
+1
#1954
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Except they lack power and the trucks I have seen lack tank capacity.

Have you seen a shift of short haul vehicles to NG or to electric recently?
 
taxslave
+1
#1955
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Have you seen a shift of short haul vehicles to NG or to electric recently?

NG yes. Not electric. It was a guy driving for Dayfoss that I was talking to abut his NG truck while fuelling up. He is hauling Nanaimo to Victoria and is not happy with the power or having to fuel up at least twice a day. All our new busses are NG powered. Electric only really works for onsite stuff.
 
Hoid
#1956
Walmart ups their Tesla semi order from 15 to 130 trucks.

Why?

Tesla Semi consumes less than two kilowatt-hours of energy per mile at Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and highway speed, significantly reducing operating costs per mile compared to diesel.
500 miles range allows a driver to go to their destination and back without recharging (500 mile range at maximum weight at highway speed)
Capable of 0-60 mph in 20 seconds with a full 80,000-pound load and can climb 5 per cent grades at a steady 65 mph (compared to 45mph for same grade in a diesel truck)
Regenerative braking technology recovers 98 per cent of kinetic energy to the battery
Surrounding vehicle cameras and sensors aid object detection and minimize blind spots, automatically alerting the driver to safety hazards and obstacles
Additional driver safety features including Automatic Emergency Braking, Automatic Lane Keeping, Lane Departure Warning
Walmart notes that the range of 500 miles on a single charge is one of the main reasons they chose to go with the Tesla Semi:

“The ability to travel 500 miles per charge is in line with Walmart Canada’s general fleet system, which consists mainly of single day round trips – allowing for the ability to convert from diesel at a faster pace. The enhanced driver safety features also offer a significant opportunity for the company to continue to address this critical issue.”
 
Hoid
#1957
^btw the "critical issue" is driver error. Autonomous drive is obviously the future. One driver can cost a company millions with one mistake. In BC they recommend everyone carry a minimum of $5 million liability. As Tesla eliminates the autoworker and looks toward eliminating the driver and all the costs of having to have them.
 
Hoid
#1958
oh, and eliminate the dealerships and the salesmen.

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/09/20...oing-business/

State of Michigan trying to ban EV makers (especially Tesla) from operating in their state.

“Motor Vehicle Franchise Act” was created specifically to block Tesla from doing business there, an obvious favor to the dealerships.'

Yes. Those dealerships. They like their jobs but they are not part of the Tesla future.

I only wish Tesla would get into housing and start developing neighborhoods with no brokers or salesmen.
 
petros
+1
#1959
Tesla Short Interest Set to Hit $20 Billion

Tesla Inc.’s skeptics are undeterred by Elon Musk poking fun at them over the carmaker’s stock surge, with the amount of shares being sold short heading for a milestone.

The Model 3 maker’s stock is poised to be the first to hit a short-interest level of $20 billion, according to research firm S3 Partners. The value of shares that have been sold short has climbed recently to $19.95 billion.

S3 said in a report Thursday that both Tesla and Nikola Corp. shares look like candidates for a short squeeze, referring to when short sellers are forced by a stock’s gain to close their position, which in turn drives the price even higher.

Tesla’s squeeze is more obvious -- its 233% gain this year likely is forcing out short sellers who’ve hit their limit for losses. The potential for a squeeze in Nikola, which is developing fuel-cell and battery-electric semi trucks, has more to do with high borrowing fees, S3 said.
 
pgs
+1
#1960
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Tesla Short Interest Set to Hit $20 Billion

Tesla Inc.’s skeptics are undeterred by Elon Musk poking fun at them over the carmaker’s stock surge, with the amount of shares being sold short heading for a milestone.

The Model 3 maker’s stock is poised to be the first to hit a short-interest level of $20 billion, according to research firm S3 Partners. The value of shares that have been sold short has climbed recently to $19.95 billion.

S3 said in a report Thursday that both Tesla and Nikola Corp. shares look like candidates for a short squeeze, referring to when short sellers are forced by a stock’s gain to close their position, which in turn drives the price even higher.

Tesla’s squeeze is more obvious -- its 233% gain this year likely is forcing out short sellers who’ve hit their limit for losses. The potential for a squeeze in Nikola, which is developing fuel-cell and battery-electric semi trucks, has more to do with high borrowing fees, S3 said.

Yes the shorts have been taking a bath on Tesla .lots of green funds have an interest in Tesla’s success and profit up .so far they are winning however unless the companies balance sheet and performance improves the support will falter .Those short sellers still standing will finally get rewarded .
 
taxslave
+1
#1961
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

oh, and eliminate the dealerships and the salesmen.
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/09/20...oing-business/
State of Michigan trying to ban EV makers (especially Tesla) from operating in their state.
“Motor Vehicle Franchise Act” was created specifically to block Tesla from doing business there, an obvious favor to the dealerships.'
Yes. Those dealerships. They like their jobs but they are not part of the Tesla future.
I only wish Tesla would get into housing and start developing neighborhoods with no brokers or salesmen.

So without a dealer network who does the warranty work? As we know from experience with autonomous and semi autonomous equipment you need a full time tech to keep up with computer failures if you have more than five units.And who is liable every time one of these computer controlled units causes an accident? In mines the Autonomous trucks and scoop trams are on a dedicated route that no other equipment or people can use.
 
Hoid
#1962
People have been busily unwrapping the new battery pack news, scant as it has been. What we know is that they have significantly changed the basic construction to remove the so-called "snake" in favor of two plates to which batteries are connected directly reducing the polar moment of inertia.

The speculation is that charging times for this pack - which is currently only meant for the semi the truck and the model S plaid - have been reduced to 15 minutes for 10-80% - the standard filler up level and 7 minutes to 50% which represents about 90% of charges.

It will cost you 7 minutes to charge this battery pack to 50% which should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 400kms.

Quite a leap forward for a company already widely reputed to be 10 years ahead of the competition.
Last edited by Hoid; 1 week ago at 11:26 PM..
 
pgs
+1
#1963
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

People have been busily unwrapping the new battery pack news, scant as it has been. What we know is that they have significantly changed the basic construction to remove the so-called "snake" in favor of two plates to which batteries are connected directly reducing the polar moment of inertia.

The speculation is that charging times for this pack - which is currently only meant for the semi the truck and the model S plaid - have been reduced to 15 minutes for 10-80% - the standard filler up level and 7 minutes to 50% which represents about 90% of charges.

It will cost you 7 minutes to charge this battery pack to 50% which should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 400kms.

Quite a leap forward for a company already widely reputed to be 10 years ahead of the competition.

Great , have you purchased yours yet ? Didn’t think so .