Need an Explanation Please !!!!

charlesbb
I'm studying English . Someone plz explain this to me !

A person who looks camp means that person is ???

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by charlesbb View Post

I'm studying English . Someone plz explain this to me !

A person who looks camp means that person is ???

Corny, funny, odd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_(style)
Last edited by lone wolf; Apr 9th, 2010 at 08:50 AM..

wulfie68
This looks like an error to me. "Camp" can be a noun or verb but this case it seems like someone is attempting to use it as an adverb, which is foreign in my experience, but it could be some kind of regional slang.

CDNBear
Gay? Try looking in here...

Urban Dictionary: camp

Curiosity
Um do people still say "camp"???

To CharlesBB - best wishes - English is a roughie to learn - I thank the fates for giving me English as my natal language.

Praxius
I think I've heard it mentioned once or twice in my life, but it's a term not commonly used around where I live.

Curiosity
Praxius.... the word brings back tapping toes and snapping fingers.... is that "camp"????

I mean other than the obvious being imprisoned during summer months in one of those terrible girl only or boy only places where people get rid of the kid for a few weeks haha....

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Praxius View Post

I think I've heard it mentioned once or twice in my life, but it's a term not commonly used around where I live.

I use it all the time, but I'm a metrosexual Roughneck.

Cliffy
I've always heard it in reference to campy movies. It may be a gay term but there are very few gays in this neck of the woods, so I haven't heard it used that way.

YukonJack
My dictionary defines "CAMP" (adj.) as 'theatrical, exaggerated', 'effiminate', 'homosexual'.

Also, (dating myself) I remenber that the late actor Victor Mature was defined as 'camp'. Contemporary equivalent would be Sylvester Stallone or George Clooney: so BAD, it's good.

charlesbb
Thank you guys ! So in conclusion , camp is referred to homosexual right ? Yet , Urbandictionary says that a camp person doesn't have to be gay ?!?! So confused !

Cliffy

Thank you guys ! So in conclusion , camp is referred to homosexual right ? Yet , Urbandictionary says that a camp person doesn't have to be gay ?!?! So confused !

That is the nature of colloquial terms. They change from region to region.

charlesbb
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

That is the nature of colloquial terms. They change from region to region.

Yea , that's why English is hard to learn . I'm trying my best !

YukonJack
charlesbb, compared to me and the way I had to learn English, you are one lucky dude.

When I arrived in Canada all by myself as a seventeen-year-old kid, there was no internet. There were no classes for the lame-brained, politically correct idea of English as Second language.

Learn on your own! Learn with common sense. Buy a dictionary and learn how to use it. Unless you want to become a life-long slave of the Liberal Party.

TenPenny
Quote:

Learn on your own! Learn with common sense. Buy a dictionary and learn how to use it.

And then you, too, can have masturbatory dreams of moving to the US, wishing you had moved there, slavishly drooling over unsuccessful candidates for the Vice Presidency.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny View Post

And then you, too, can have masturbatory dreams of moving to the US, wishing you had moved there, slavishly drooling over unsuccessful candidates for the Vice Presidency.

Bingo!

YukonJack
TenPenny and cliffy,

Masturbation only exits in the mind of some pathetic little human wanna-be, who doesn't get (and maybe never did) get enough at home.

And his similarly cursed soul-mate who blindly and typically unthinkingly says BINGO.

Please explain to charlesbb why you had to drag this thread to your level in the sewer.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJack View Post

TenPenny and cliffy,

Masturbation only exits in the mind of some pathetic little human wanna-be, who doesn't get (and maybe never did) get enough at home.

And his similarly cursed soul-mate who blindly and typically unthinkingly says BINGO.

Please explain to charlesbb why you had to drag this thread to your level in the sewer.

Because it already dropped here
Last edited by lone wolf; Apr 9th, 2010 at 11:10 AM..Reason: Bo-boo

CDNBear

So that's why you're such bitch!!! Go! Get laid, should we take up a collection so you can rent a date?

YukonJack
"So that's why you're such bitch!!! Go! Get laid, should we take up a collection so you can rent a date?"

Your charitable intentions warm my unfeeling, cruel and insensitive heart.

Please use your money and efforts in something you probably NEVER experienced before: give your money to the Salvation Army and your time to Habitat for Humanity.

And a little bit of civility on your part might go a long way.

CDNBear

Your charitable intentions warm my unfeeling, cruel and insensitive heart.

If you get something else 'warmed', you might be a little easier on the senses.

Quote:

Please use your money and efforts in something you probably NEVER experienced before: give your money to the Salvation Army and your time to Habitat for Humanity.

1, I do not contribute to any form of organized religion. 2, Anything Jimmy Carter is involved, can not be good for anybody.

Quote:

And a little bit of civility on your part might go a long way.

What can i say, I give what I get and I am very much a Bear.

YukonJack
Back to the topic:

charlesbb, in spite of all the yahooes, all I wanted to do was to give my you the valuable lessons I learned from my experience as a young immigrant in a country that was strange to me at the time. I prevailed, because of my efforts, my hard work and ignoring the bigots and pseudo-patriots who tried to stop me, and still try to stop you and all the immigrants from enjoying the fruits of your labour, which you earned, but was provided for the above-mentioned yahooes and free-loaders by their daddies.

CDNBear

Back to the topic:

charlesbb, in spite of all the yahooes, all I wanted to do was to give my you the valuable lessons I learned from my experience as a young immigrant in a country that was strange to me at the time. I prevailed, because of my efforts, my hard work and ignoring the bigots and pseudo-patriots who tried to stop me, and still try to stop you and all the immigrants from enjoying the fruits of your labour, which you earned, but was provided for the above-mentioned yahooes and free-loaders by their daddies.

You know YJ, if you don't like or can't handle being chastised, stop begging for it.

You're the kind of ungrateful immigrant we can do without.

YukonJack
"1, I do not contribute to any form of organized religion. 2, Anything Jimmy Carter is involved, can not be good for anybody."

Therin lies the loving, selfless and humanitarian essence of a liberal.

I DO give to the church of my choice. Being a Catholic, I must admit, sometimes I wonder - in the light of recent allegations - if I should.

I worked along with Jimmy Carter in Florida on Habitat for Humanity projects. I worked along with Ed Schryer, former NDP Premier of Manitoba on Habitat for Humamnity blitz in Regina in 1998.

Much as I disliked Jimmy Carter, I always gave him credit for being a humanitarian. Much as I told Premier Schryer that it is a pity that he is so misguided politically, I gave him credit for getting dirty, swing the hammer and help the deserving poor.

Based on your posts you would rather see nothing done. For 'people' like you nothing is more important than s**t in the woods. And about as kind and charitable.

AnnaG
As far as I know, "camp" is UK slang for gayish, although you never know about kids from other countries. They may have picked it up and contorted its meaning.
No, it's not an adverb, it's an adjective in this sense. Adverbs usually describe adjectives. "His clothes are utterly camp": "utterly" would be the adverb and "camp" would be the adjective.

AnnaG

One can be effeminate (or camp) without being gay.

YukonJack
"You know YJ, if you don't like or can't handle being chastised, stop begging for it.

You're the kind of ungrateful immigrant we can do without."

CDNBear, I don't mind being chastised when I deserve it. And even when I am undeservedly chastised, I can handle it, proven by the fact that your comeback to my post was expressed by your anti-immigrant hate message you and your fellow hate-mongering liberals seem to be so excellent at.

Sorry, but however you wish that I wasn't here or I was dead, I am not quite ready for exit in either way.

CDNBear

Therin lies the loving, selfless and humanitarian essence of a liberal.

You and SJP should get together so you two can figure out what label to correctly apply to me, if it helps you out that much. Especially since he thinks I'm the caricature of Conservatism.

Quote:

I DO give to the church of my choice. Being a Catholic, I must admit, sometimes I wonder - in the light of recent allegations - if I should.

That's great. Although I will not knock the good work of the SA, I do not give to organized religion as a rule. Consistent to my principals, that means not one single one will get my cash.

Quote:

I worked along with Jimmy Carter in Florida on Habitat for Humanity projects. I worked along with Ed Schryer, former NDP Premier of Manitoba on Habitat for Humamnity blitz in Regina in 1998.

You're my hero. This sort of flies in the face of your "Get off your ass and do something with yourself" attitude.

Quote:

Much as I disliked Jimmy Carter, I always gave him credit for being a humanitarian. Much as I told Premier Schryer that it is a pity that he is so misguided politically, I gave him credit for getting dirty, swing the hammer and help the deserving poor.

Oh so you gauge the poor? I watched the "Habitat for Humanity" work in Keswick, not far from where I live. I talked to the guy who would be getting the house. I think some people get away with getting something for nothing, or in this case very little.. While others work hard to get where they are.

Quote:

Based on your posts you would rather see nothing done.

Really? What posts would those be?

Quote:

For 'people' like you nothing is more important than s**t in the woods. And about as kind and charitable.

I'm not sure how s**t in the woods comes into play, can you expand on that? And you really aren't qualified to comment on my charitable contributions. I'd suggest if one were so inclined to do so, (Although I'm not generally, because I believe true charity is when you give without seeking reward). If you were to tally the time I spend and the money, in areas such as forest and wildlife management, as well as both Native and non Native organizations, it would dwarf yours by a long shot.

CDNBear

CDNBear, I don't mind being chastised when I deserve it. And even when I am undeservedly chastised, I can handle it, proven by the fact that your comeback to my post was expressed by your anti-immigrant hate message you and your fellow hate-mongering liberals seem to be so excellent at.

I'm not anti immigrant, I'm anti asshat. A category all its own, and one you fit perfectly.

Quote:

Sorry, but however you wish that I wasn't here or I was dead, I am not quite ready for exit in either way.

Please, by all means show me where I said you should be dead or not here.

If you can remove your head from your ass for a few minutes, I'm sure the oxygen will once again start being supplied to you brain and you'll be able to think much clearer.

charlesbb

Back to the topic:

Thank you YukonJack for having shared ur experience . But I'm trying to learn North American speaking English , the informal one . I'm trying to integrate with my college friends . Sometimes I don't understand what they say and it doesn't seem to be official English .
I think I'm good enough at common English . Just sort of unfamiliar with slang terms and idioms .

Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

As far as I know, "camp" is UK slang for gayish, although you never know about kids from other countries. They may have picked it up and contorted its meaning.
No, it's not an adverb, it's an adjective in this sense. Adverbs usually describe adjectives. "His clothes are utterly camp": "utterly" would be the adverb and "camp" would be the adjective.

thanks for ur clearly explanation ^^