Britain is world's 2nd-most powerful nation, says think tank (Most Powerful Countries)

Blackleaf
China Ranks Korea as Ninth Most Powerful nation

World's most powerful nations (ranked according to GDP, military power, diplomacy, capital strength, technological power, natural resources, human resources, government coordination and control capability, information and communication)

1) United States - 90.69
2) Britain - 65.04
3) Russia - 63.03
4) France - 62
5) Germany - 61.93
6) China - 59.10
7) Japan - 57.84
8 ) Canada - 57.09
9) South Korea - 53,2
10) India - 50.43

Korea has been ranked the ninth most powerful nation by the Chinese government's top think tank, the Academy of Social Sciences.

The U.S. was predictably in the top spot. China came sixth, one level above Japan. The CASS released a report on Thursday which ranked countries in nine areas -- GDP, military power, diplomacy, capital strength, technological power, natural resources, human resources, government coordination and control capability, information and communication -- with the average in each field determining a country's overall rank.

Among the top 10, the U.S. came first by a long chalk with a composite national power index of 90.69, followed by the U.K. with 65.04, Russia with 63.03, France with 62, Germany with 61.93, China with 59.10, Japan with 57.84, Canada with 57.09, Korea with 53.2 and India with 50.43.

Korea ranked third in information and communication with a score of 80.88, following the U.S. and Japan, and in technological power, Korea was ahead of Canada, Russia, China and India. But in terms of natural resources, capital strength and diplomacy, Korea did no better than ninth and 10th.

englishnews@chosun.com

hermanntrude
maybe britain and russia should have a fight. they're pretty evenly matched. we could televise it like a boxing match

Daz_Hockey
we'd get our asses whooped like we did in the crimea

hermanntrude
yeah but if we watch from Canada we get the best of both worlds. entertainment and lots more space in britain, admittedly under mr ruski, but let's be fair, they own us already thanks to oil and gas.

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
The reality is, after the United States everbody else is effectively last.

Daz_Hockey
true...and I suppose it's like at school, where you've got the big kid (could either be a bully or VERY benevolent) and there's always the little kid who ALWAYS sides with him so that he's not picked on and is hard by de-facto.

I think this is the reasoning that makes Britain number two.

athabaska
Britain? France? that's stupid. China has influence over 1.3 billion people and. At any time, could mobilize human resources to do anything from swamp the world's economic markets to change the culture of the world.

I'd put the rankings as

USA
China
EEC (Europe)
India
Russia
Brazil

jimmoyer
I'd say Britain is 2nd most powerful because it
seems to have leaders who have the will to put
their sons and daughters in harms way over a cause
like former Yugoslavia, or in Afghanistan today.

EastSideScotian
We are atleast on the top ten, I bet if we had more Millitary Power we would move up a few spots

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by EastSideScotian

We are atleast on the top ten, I bet if we had more Millitary Power we would move up a few spots

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. If you have a military and are prepared to use it you carry political clout, if you don't, you're on the sidelines.

I don't agree with it, but that's the way the world works.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Or, one could get another list

link

#juan
No Party Affiliation
I don't know how Russia and Brazil didn't make that list.

Toro
"Brazil is not a serious country"

Charles de Gaulle.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
And Norway?

Toro
Norway's not a serious nation either?

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Seriously,

The only way the U.K. is more powerful than Russia is if we take into account that they are allied with the U.S. Without that, Russia is sitting there with many times the number of warheads and the capability of delivering them, that dwarfs whatever Britain has.

Gonzo
It doesn't matter who is number 2. And really, who cares?

Said1
Free Thinker
Are there any lists anywhere that we're actully on?

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Gonzo

It doesn't matter who is number 2. And really, who cares?

It matters if number two and three could kick the hell out of number one.

Gonzo
Number 2 and 3 could. I dont even think it matters who is #1. Because if enough people are against you, you loose. Besides, #1 couldn't win in Vietnam, and they are not winning now.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
I read somewhere that something like ninety percent of the U.S. military is already deployed. I guess what that means is that they are stretched pretty thin.

Check this out, compare any two countries:

link

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
Hey, if the U.S. really wanted to beat the crap out of any other two nations on the planet, they could do it. They have the technology, the nukes, the resources, the economic strength, and the manpower, if they really wanted to do it. The U.S. lost in Vietnam because they committed only a fraction of their resources to it; they could have blown the place back into the Stone Age if they'd really wanted to. But they didn't want to, and don't want to do that to anyone else either, for which we should all be grateful. Anyone who doubts that they could is deluded.

We should, in my view, be grateful that the U.S. is as sane and civilized as it is, and that its founding fathers were as wise as they were. They created institutions and safeguards that have protected their Great Republic from leaders who were stupid, ignorant, corrupt, arrogant, even insane; the nation has endured all of that and more, and still for most of its history has been held up as a shining example to the world of all that is best and most noble in human nature. Read the Declaration of Independence, and the U.S. Constitution. The great ringing phrases in those documents are powerful statements of what any free person values most. Yes, sometimes the U.S. fails to live up to the values and virtues that created it, but as Christ said, let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Yes we should criticize the U.S. when we disagree with its policies and behaviours, yes we should criticize its leaders when we think they're behaving badly, but never forget the ideals that lie at the heart of the United States. I believe they will triumph eventually, because there have always been enough intelligent and forceful people in the United States to force decency upon it. The U.S., for instance, didn't really lose the war in Vietnam as much as it was forced to quit by the revulsion of its own citizens against their government's behaviour. I expect something similar will eventually happen with Iraq.

The U.S. is a global superpower much the same as Britain was in the 19th century, but in the 19th century there was serious competition from other nations. Now there isn't. The U.S. stands alone at the pinnacle as no other nation ever has. Bitch and criticize, sure, with the U.S. you can do that without being shot. Be glad it's as benign as it is.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Maybe it's just me,

but I always thought the U.S. behaved a lot better when Russia was still considered a superpower. Meaning that neither the U.S. or the USSR could just storm into a country and bomb the hell out of it. Admittedly they bombed the hell out of VietNam but they didn't use nukes because both Russia and China said they would retaliate in kind. Bush has said publicly that he would use nukes if he saw fit.

Russia still has half again as many deliverable nuclear warheads as the U.S. I think the U.S. and the USSR are still capable of Mutual Assured Destruction.

I do not feel all that comfortable because the U.S. is the only "superpower". If Canada had something the U.S. needed badly, they would simply come and get it. I don't know that the U.S. is that big benevolent giant that is basically "sane and civilized". The U.S. is run by big oil interests, and they don't give a damn about anyone.

Dexter Sinister
No Party Affiliation
No #juan, it's not just you. It's me too, and a whole lot of other thoughtful people as well. I'm far from content with much U.S. behaviour over the last 50 years, and as a thoughtful Canadian it's often hard not to be anti-American, but I remain an optimist. At the heart of the American experiment is a core of idealism, and it can be appealed to. I think the present U.S. government is a long way from upholding the ideals of the founding fathers, but so was the Nixon administration, and it was eventually discredited and repudiated by most Americans. And I have to say that every individual American I've ever met, both in Canada and the United States, has been a thoroughly decent person who wants nothing but good things for everybody. With one lamentable exception, a student I met when I was doing a degree at the University of Alberta. Michael G. Steinman, a racist, bigot, and all around fascist asshole of the sort that gives America a bad name all over the world. If you know him, please do the world a favour and shoot him. I will come vigorously to your defence.

elevennevele
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister

No #juan, it's not just you. It's me too, and a whole lot of other thoughtful people as well. I'm far from content with much U.S. behaviour over the last 50 years, and as a thoughtful Canadian it's often hard not to be anti-American, but I remain an optimist.

I use to love driving through Montana and Wyoming.
I like some of the people.
I hate what they have become.

#juan
No Party Affiliation

No #juan, it's not just you. It's me too, and a whole lot of other thoughtful people as well. I'm far from content with much U.S. behaviour over the last 50 years, and as a thoughtful Canadian it's often hard not to be anti-American, but I remain an optimist. At the heart of the American experiment is a core of idealism, and it can be appealed to. I think the present U.S. government is a long way from upholding the ideals of the founding fathers, but so was the Nixon administration, and it was eventually discredited and repudiated by most Americans. And I have to say that every individual American I've ever met, both in Canada and the United States, has been a thoroughly decent person who wants nothing but good things for everybody. With one lamentable exception, a student I met when I was doing a degree at the University of Alberta. Michael G. Steinman, a racist, bigot, and all around fascist asshole of the sort that gives America a bad name all over the world. If you know him, please do the world a favour and shoot him. I will come vigorously to your defence.

.Well done Dexter.

I've mentioned before on these forums that both my parents were American, and while I am a Canadian through and through, I also agree that there is an idealistic, Norman Rockwell-ish, core in the American consciousness that makes them generally, good people. Americans, over the last forty years or so have become complacent and are slipping away from those ideals, in that half of them don't even bother to bloody vote. If they did all vote, they might get a better class of politicians. We suffer from an increasing bit of that in Canada. Some of the things that the Americans have done, are doing, get me so pissed I can't raise spit. Reading that you are optimistic, makes me feel better. The Michael G. Steinmans of this world suffer from a possible delivery room accident that happens
now and then when the attending surgeon performing the circumcision, throws away the wrong bit. The resultant "racist, bigot, and all around fascist assholes", if I know the type, richly deserve to be shot. Justifiable homicide, in my estimation.

athabaska
Quote: Originally Posted by elevennevele

No #juan, it's not just you. It's me too, and a whole lot of other thoughtful people as well. I'm far from content with much U.S. behaviour over the last 50 years, and as a thoughtful Canadian it's often hard not to be anti-American, but I remain an optimist.

I use to love driving through Montana and Wyoming.
I like some of the people.
I hate what they have become.

I still like driving through the American west. I feel much more at home than driving through Ontario and Quebec.

The Gunslinger
The really neat thing about this is power projection. We have an extremely powerful #1 position, and a whole slough of #2-10 positions that lack the ability to fool around over much of the world. With the collapse of the USSR we really have one superpower and a variety of great powers. It makes for a neat geo-politcal world.

jimmoyer
Good conversation between #juan and
Dexter Sinister.

Rational points.

Curiosity
Back on Topic

I would vote Britain as the World's Number One Friend over any country in the planet. There is no other ally better.