Soccer in Canada

lo2
I have been wondering recently about how big Soccer is in Canada, and I therefore decided to ask you, so how big is Soccer in Canada? You have not qualified for the WC.

Daz_Hockey
nah....theyre not great, most of their players go on to play for their parents national sides, for example Owen Hargreaves, both his parents are English, but he was born and lives in Calgary, so he chose to play for England.

Either way, Soccer still isnt that popular in Canada, why should it be?, theyve got Hockey, Lacrosse all the other American sports, also, I'm afraid, as a British Commonwealth dominion, they dont tend to bother with Soccer, I'm actually very suprised theyre not better at Cricket and Rugby!

glossprincess
Football is the greatest sport in the world! And finally I can cheer for my own country in the World Cup!!!! Though we've got Brazil in our group so my hopes arent high.......

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

Either way, Soccer still isnt that popular in Canada, why should it be?, theyve got Hockey, Lacrosse all the other American sports

So maybe that's a good enough reason for them to start liking "soccer."

Toro
A lot of kids play it, more than hockey, but they start losing interest as they get older.

There's no infrastructure in the country for kids to grow up and become professionals since Canadians generally don't watch it as a spectator sport.

Blackleaf
It amazes me how much North American sports are based on sports invented in England for schoolgirls.

A Canadian invented basketball, but he based it on the traditional English game of netball - which is played by little girls at school. It's almost identical to netball in every way except that in netball running or walking with the ball is not allowed.

America's national sport, baseball, is based on ANOTHER English game for schoolgirls. This time, it's based on rounders, a game in which nearly every schoolgirl has played a million times (and the schoolgirls don't wear helmets).

The only North American popular team sport that I know of that isn't based on an English schoolgirls' game (but is still based on a game invented in England) is Gridiron - that's absed on rugby, which really is a game for the tough guy. But, even then, Gridiron players wear 10 tons of kevlar body armour, silly helmets, and stupid looking gigantic shoulder pads. Rugby is much more of a dangerous game, but the players wear virtually no body armour and certainly don't wear huge helmets. (Even cricketers, who have rock hard cricket balls bowled at them at 90 - 100 mph wear less protection than Gridiron players)

Maybe the British male is just tougher, hardier and braver than the Canadian ansd American male.

Daz_Hockey
I like the way I mention a sport and blackleaf has to turn it into a way to knock americans......

although I have heard this:
"A lot of kids play it, more than hockey, but they start losing interest as they get older."

several times before, it simply doesnt wash in my opinion though, it's the world's most popular game, you should really make much more effort if you dont wanna be seen as aloof.

I wont say the same about canada because, as I say, as a old colony, the people responsible for rousing the masses tended not to be your "average joe" on the streets of the poorer parts of england playing football with nothing more than a tin can and some sticks.....I just think though, the type of people responsible for rugby etc....are the people that are used to beat the english as being snobbish and arrogant...they dont see the real people, they didnt then, unfortunatly, they still dont

Semperfi_dani
I think that its a larger sport that my fellow patriots here say that it is..but i have a biased view coming from Edmonton. Edmonton has a strong soccer league for minors that rivals minor hockey. But we also have quite a few adults that participate, particularly in our cultural areas. In addition, Edmonton is a frequent host of various soccer events for Team Canada. And those events draw a fair sized crowd. We even had a few sell outs for example when Team Canada played Team Brazil @ the Commenwealth Stadium.

And i know alot of people that tune into World Cup games, and follow the English Premier League amongst others. And don't forget the indoor soccer league.

But i think there is a legitimate issue that unlike in hockey, where there is successful transition into major league from minor league, it does lack in Canada.

That i think ties into the fact that Soccer struggles to compete for attention in sports media from hockey and football...hell..even curling gets more attention.

But i genuinely believe that the desire is there for Canada to be more prominant, but noone is really tapping into that, certainly not in sports funding or media coverage.

dekhqonbacha
Soccer is not played nation wide. Football, however, is an imporant game.

Zan
I agree, Semperfi.

My son has played soccer year round for the last 8 yrs. Being as immersed in the sport as we are, I see a thriving interest in soccer. In fact, I'm pretty sure it does rival hockey for membership. With lower registration fees and equipment costs, it offers an much more affordable alternative to many families who want to encourage their kids to be active without costing a small fortune to do it. Also at the community level, the time committments are much more reasonable than what hockey seems to require? I don't know what happens if they go to the club level to play and wish to continue on to a professional level since we've always kept it at the community level. I know several schools now offer Soccer Programs as well - I'm assuming this isn't something seen only in Edmonton though? I dunno, where I come from, soccer is THE sport - check out the fields on almost any weeknight or weekend - games everywhere. It also seems to have almost replaced baseball as the organized sport to play in the spring/summer months? Most of the communities in our area have a very difficult time garnering enough registrations to create a team - whereas the soccer teams often have to create 2 teams or ship players to other leagues due to lack of room on their home league teams.

Daz_Hockey
sometimes I wish I could get a time machine and sew Charles Wreford Brown's mouth together so that he wouldnt come up with such a silly nickname.

I think one day Association football will take over the whole of north america, Toronto is doing the decent thing and calling their side "Toronto FC" I suspect a few other teams will follow, we'll have uniformity and north america will become a football hotbed, thats all it takes.

Trust me

Finder
Our soccer teams are sooooo bad....

Daz_Hockey
try calling them football teams and they'll do much better....trust me

Finder
naaa they'd still suck...

Any real Canadian Soccer fan calls the team from there ethnic orgin there soccer teams. It gets crazy around here during the world cup because everyone goes to there bar and cheers a different nation.

razorgrade
soccer is for kids.
when they grow up, they play a real sport.
very boring to watch and not very exciting to play.
skill element is very overhyped, because you rarely get to actually use them.

the "world game" thing is also much hyped IMO.
a lot of the countries that play soccer haven't had much exposure to more exciting sports, and because it is a fairly simple game with little invested needed in equipment or grounds they are able to compete on a world stage.

in the end it just becomes a cultural thing.

dekhqonbacha
Quote: Originally Posted by razorgrade

soccer is for kids.

a lot of the countries that play soccer haven't had much exposure to more exciting sports, and because it is a fairly simple game with little invested needed in equipment or grounds they are able to compete on a world stage.

I believe you don't have enough information to compare soccer with other kinds of sports.

You won't think anymore that it is boring if you are within 20000-200000 spectators watching a soccer game.

Hockey is also a cultural thing, isn't it?

Daz_Hockey
Quote: Originally Posted by razorgrade

soccer is for kids.

See, it's attitudes like that, that make you think the whole of north america are ignorant and aloof....it's played by grown men, grown men who quite regularly break their legs etc....it's not a "soft" game, a lot of players have died on the pitch, thousands of fans have too.

take that attitude anywhere else in the world and see if it doesnt get you a bloody nose

Toro
Who cares what razorgrade thinks?

Thats his opinion.

But the majority of the world disagrees with him.

So who cares?

Daz_Hockey
just pointing it out...because he's not in the minority though is he, I may be english, and everyone around me agree's with yours and my opinion, but coming from Florida, you'll also know there are many people with that viewpoint.......problem is when they take it abroad, it's just not wise to say that stuff anywhere other than north america, thats all.

Finder
Yeah I know many Americans think Soccer isn't a man's game. I think they believe it competes with (American)football. This reminds of of that episode of King of the Hill when Bobby leaves the football team for the (Liberal minded, European like) Soccer team and it was so Disgraceful for Hank. Anyone else see that?

edit:

BTW I like Soccer, I always Cheer on Ireland, and if they don't make it I'll usually cheer on England or France.