God is Just and Remembers

Motar
In elaborating on “the things that have to do with salvation”, the apostle Paul exhorts:

“God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love your have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hope for may be fully realized” (Hebrews 6:10-11, New International Version).

The principle of experiencing the support of God in supporting God’s people is expressed to Abram in the opening book of the Bible: “I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you” (Genesis 12:3).

As the policies of the current administration in Washington D. C. reflect support for God’s people at home and abroad, what hope will be fully realized by those who love and help the people of God?

DaSleeper
Aaarg..............Put a sock in it, preacher boy!

Motar
Quote: Originally Posted by Motar View Post

As the policies of the current administration in Washington D. C. reflect support for God’s people at home and abroad, what hope will be fully realized by those who love and help the people of God?

Every warrior’s boot used in battle and every garment rolled in blood will be destined for burning, will be fuel for the fire. For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this” (Isaiah 9:5-7)

The hope of peace through the government of Christ.

Motar
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Aaarg..............Put a sock in it, preacher boy!

Hello DS. Thanks for your comment. I am not a boy.

Cliffy

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Fakebook Spam

From the addict!

DaSleeper

Hello DS. Thanks for your comment. I am not a boy.

Who cares!

Motar
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Who cares!

God cares, DS.

“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7j

Dexter Sinister
+1

“God is not unjust..."

Yes he is. God in the Old Testament is one of the most unpleasant characters to be found anywhere in literature: arbitrary, jealous, spiteful, a mass murderer, and worse, and apparently proud of it. He doesn't appear as himself in the New Testament that I can recall, he's shifted his modus from direct personal intervention to working through messengers, but most of them really aren't much better. Paul, for instance, appears to have hated and feared women, an aspect of Christianity that's caused untold suffering and oppression for over half the population for almost two millennia.
Quote:

As the policies of the current administration in Washington D. C. reflect support for God’s people...

Seriously? You're a Trump supporter? If so, I am appalled. How any woman professing to be a Christian could support that jumped up ogre is beyond me.

Motar
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

Yes he is. God in the Old Testament is one of the most unpleasant characters to be found anywhere in literature: arbitrary, jealous, spiteful, a mass murderer, and worse, and apparently proud of it. He doesn't appear as himself in the New Testament that I can recall, he's shifted his modus from direct personal intervention to working through messengers, but most of them really aren't much better. Paul, for instance, appears to have hated and feared women, an aspect of Christianity that's caused untold suffering and oppression for over half the population for almost two millennia. Seriously? You're a Trump supporter? If so, I am appalled. How any woman professing to be a Christian could support that jumped up ogre is beyond me.

Your thoughtful responses are a tremendous blessing and encouragement to me, Dex. You actually read my posts, digest and respond to the content. I sincerely appreciate and benefit from these discussions.

Motar
How do you feel about the justice dispensed by the SCOTUS?
Last edited by Motar; Sep 20th, 2020 at 02:41 PM..

Dexter Sinister

You actually read my posts, digest and respond to the content.

Not much point in talking otherwise.

Cliffy
The world is literally your mirror, enabling you to experience in the physical plane what you hold as your truth.....until you change it.

Dexter Sinister
+1

How do you feel about the justice dispensed by the SCOTUS?

Don't think I'm familiar enough with enough of it to have an opinion. I will, however, offer the opinion that I don't think justice and the legal system have much to do with each other. What's legal and what's just aren't the same thing, and courts don't dispense justice, they interpret the law, sometimes quite unjustly.

Motar

What's legal and what's just aren't the same thing, and courts don't dispense justice, they interpret the law, sometimes quite unjustly.

Yes, this is true, Dex.

The Bible references justice 130 times, 30 of which are found in Isaiah.

“But the Lord Almighty will be exalted by his justice,
and the holy God will be proved holy by his righteous acts.“ (Isaiah 5:16)

Motar

The world is literally your mirror, enabling you to experience in the physical plane what you hold as your truth.....until you change it.

That is an interesting philosophy, Cliffy. Here is another opinion:

“The world is not our mirror–the world is the world. The truth is we can never completely know the world, and the world was not created for our introspection or our personal growth. Introspection and personal growth are choices we make in response to life situations, and can be very helpful at times. But we should not confuse our choices for some Ultimate Truth.”

https://beyondgrowth.net/personal-de...t-your-mirror/

DaSleeper

That is an interesting philosophy, Cliffy. Here is another opinion:

“The world is not our mirror–the world is the world. The truth is we can never completely know the world, and the world was not created for our introspection or our personal growth. Introspection and personal growth are choices we make in response to life situations, and can be very helpful at times. But we should not confuse our choices for some Ultimate Truth.”

https://beyondgrowth.net/personal-de...t-your-mirror/

You sound like a jehovah witness...
Is posting in a forum the same as going door to door in your religion?
To most people religious belief is a personal thing and they don't proselytize on line!

Dexter Sinister
+1

Truth is a pretty slippery concept here. Seems to me that if your truth and my truth are not the same, then in some fundamental sense whatever's under discussion is not actually true for at least one of us, it's not objectively true in any sense, it's just a belief. To me, for something to be true means it's in accord with the facts, and would be the same for everybody. If by truth one means some transcendental ideal beyond the reach of logic or perception, which seems to be what a lot of people mean when they talk about The Truth (and sometimes you can hear the capital letters in their tone), I'd argue that there's no such thing. If something is true, it's true for everybody, and there's a clear body of evidence and reasoning that demonstrates it with sufficient force that it would be unreasonable to doubt it. Anything else is speculation, wishful thinking, philosophical musing, or something similar, or just plain old BS. It might well be interesting, amusing, challenging, to discuss such things, that's a common motive for me in my contributions to these forums and things that aren't I just don't bother with, but I don't think I'm talking about The Truth.
Last edited by Dexter Sinister; Sep 21st, 2020 at 12:22 PM..

DaSleeper
That is why I avoid discussing religion even in real life ..... much less on line!
I leave these ramblings to philosophers and scholars.
My religious beliefs are personal and I don't impose them on anyone, not even family members...

Dexter Sinister
I've always found that things are easier to make sense of if you don't overlay religious beliefs on them, that explains nothing, and in fact often strikes me as just avoiding an explanation. Don't understand something? Well then, god did it. That's a non-explanation, and the end of any sensible attempt to understand it, there's no place to go from there. I don't think it's useful to explain something complex and difficult to understand by invoking something even more complex and difficult to understand.

Especially when I think the latter is a fiction.

Tecumsehsbones
Everybody needs something to believe, and right now I believe I'll have a drink.

Dexter Sinister
I believe I'll join you. Pity we can't do it together, I think you'd be fine company. What do you favour, beer, wine, rye, gin, vodka, single malt scotch? That last is my favourite tipple.

Tecumsehsbones
Irish whiskey. I don't drink much, being Native and all. Usually Green Spot or Redbreast. More like Speysides than Islays. Not as smoky.

Motar

I've always found that things are easier to make sense of if you don't overlay religious beliefs on them, that explains nothing, and in fact often strikes me as just avoiding an explanation. Don't understand something? Well then, god did it. That's a non-explanation, and the end of any sensible attempt to understand it, there's no place to go from there. I don't think it's useful to explain something complex and difficult to understand by invoking something even more complex and difficult to understand. Especially when I think the latter is a fiction.

Concerning religion, James the brother of Jesus observes:

“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” (James 1:27, NIV)

Dexter Sinister

“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”

That's it? That's all there is to it? Somehow, I doubt it.

Motar

That's it? That's all there is to it? Somehow, I doubt it.

The apostle Paul adds:

“Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need. But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God.“ (1 Timothy 5:3-4)

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Irish whiskey. I don't drink much, being Native and all.

Don't think I understand what being Native has to do with it. I know there's a lot of racist crap around about Natives and alcohol, but it's not true in my experience, it seems to be mostly the confirmation bias fallacy.
Quote:

Usually Green Spot or Redbreast. More like Speysides than Islays. Not as smoky.

Yep, I'm with you on that one, don't much like the heavy, smoky ones like Laphroaig or Lagavulin, I'll take a Macallan, a Glenmorangie, or a Balvenie. Unfortunately the list of what's available where I live is rather limited, no doubt something to do with the small market, have to go next door to Calgary or Winnipeg for a good selection. And Scotland of course is the best place to go, it'd take years to sample everything available there. I've spent a total of four weeks there in two visits and barely got started. There was a bar around the corner from where we were staying in Edinburgh called Mathers which claimed to have over 150 different kinds, and that's by no means all of them.

DaSleeper

Don't think I understand what being Native has to do with it. I know there's a lot of racist crap around about Natives and alcohol, but it's not true in my experience, it seems to be mostly the confirmation bias fallacy. Yep, I'm with you on that one, don't much like the heavy, smoky ones like Laphroaig or Lagavulin, I'll take a Macallan, a Glenmorangie, or a Balvenie. Unfortunately the list of what's available where I live is rather limited, no doubt something to do with the small market, have to go next door to Calgary or Winnipeg for a good selection. And Scotland of course is the best place to go, it'd take years to sample everything available there. I've spent a total of four weeks there in two visits and barely got started. There was a bar around the corner from where we were staying in Edinburgh called Mathers which claimed to have over 150 different kinds, and that's by no means all of them.

Having played music in bars in my younger days, I found that natives were quiet drunks and whites were the rowdy ones....

Motar
The prophet Daniel receives and records a prophecy concerning a future Israeli covenant with many:

“Seventy ‘sevens’ are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the Most Holy Place. Know and understand this: From the time the word goes out to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until the Anointed One, the ruler, comes, there will be seven ‘sevens,’ and sixty-two ‘sevens.’ It will be rebuilt with streets and a trench, but in times of trouble. After the sixty-two ‘sevens,’ the Anointed One will be put to death and will have nothing. The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. The end will come like a flood: War will continue until the end, and desolations have been decreed. He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering. And at the temple he will set up an abomination that causes desolation, until the end that is decreed is poured out on him.” (Daniel 9:24-27, NIV)

How do the current peace treaties between Israel and neighboring Arab countries fit into this prophesied scenario?

Dexter Sinister
+1
They don't, that has nothing to do with contemporary times. The apocalyptic bits of Daniel are about the persecution of Jews by the Seleucids during the period of the exile.