Birth control for men in one injection

Free your mind
Birth control for men in one injection

Quote:

Chinese scientists succeed with testosterone jab trial on 1,000 volunteers
By Jerome Taylor

Tuesday, 5 May 2009

Scientists believe they are one step closer to developing an effective male contraceptive jab after successfully carrying out the largest feasibility study to date.
Researchers at the National Research for Family Planning in Beijing injected 1,000 healthy, fertile male patients with a testosterone-based jab over a two-year period and found only 1 per cent went on to father a child. The men were all aged between 20 and 45 and had fathered at least one child in the two years before the testing began. They were also all involved with healthy female partners between the ages of 18 and 38 who had no reproductive problems of their own.
The trial was the largest effectiveness study of a testosterone-based male contraceptive ever undertaken. At the end of the two-year period only one in 100 men had fathered a child. No contraception is 100 per cent effective 1 to 2 per cent of women still become pregnant while they are on the Pill but the jab's success rate puts it on a par with the effectiveness of the female Pill or injections.
Dr Yi-Qun Gu, one of the researchers involved in the testing, said: "For couples who cannot or prefer not to use only female-oriented contraception, options have been limited to vasectomy, condom and withdrawal. Our study shows a male hormonal contraceptive regimen may be a potential, novel and workable alternative."
When the contraceptive Pill was introduced in the 1960s it revolutionised sex lives but also placed the onus of reproductive responsibility on women. Scientists have been looking to try to find a suitable alternative for men but have struggled to control male hormones with the same level of efficiency. Previous attempts to develop an effective and convenient male contraceptive have encountered problems over reliability and side-effects, such as mood swings and a lowered sex drive.
Like the female Pill, most testing for a male pill or injection has centred on using hormones to stop the production of key elements of the reproductive process. For the testing in China, a country which has invested heavily in reproductive technology because of its overpopulation problems, the men were given 500mg of testosterone undecanoate (TU) in tea seed oil. The injections resulted in a reduction of two regulatory brain chemicals, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinising hormone (LH) which in turn disrupted sperm production.
The scientists claim that there were none of the usual side-effects and say the process is reversible. Six months after coming off the injections, the men's sperm count had returned to healthy levels. Dr Gu said further testing would be needed to check how safe testosterone injections are.
Family planning campaigners have welcomed the news and said they hoped an injection would result in men taking a greater level of responsibility over contraception.

Birth control for men in one injection - Science, News - The Independent

Contraception using injections, im not happy about this ,most people dont like injections at the best of times,tho making males responsible in this way would prevent unwanted births.

Your thoughts.?

Cliffy
I'm mixed about it. I too don't like the idea of injections, but I do think men should take more responsibility toward child production. This would take a lot of the burden off women. On the other hand, messing with hormones inevitably produces side effects as women know all too well.

I think vasectomies are still a safer bet at this point. I do not understand why they cannot make a valve that could fit in the Vas Deferens tubes so that it can be turned on or off.

Unforgiven
Ha! If we men can control when a woman gets pregnant, that will really put us back in the driver seat with these broads! No fuss no muss no child support payments!
Take that you gold digging baby mommas!

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

Ha! If we men can control when a woman gets pregnant, that will really put us back in the driver seat with these broads! No fuss no muss no child support payments!
Take that you gold digging baby mommas!

There is also the option that Alley suggests: keep you dick in your pants. Not much fun though.

Cannuck
I've created my own male contraceptive. I put a marble in my shoe. It makes me limp.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

There is also the option that Alley suggests: keep you dick in your pants. Not much fun though.

Oh yeah, history shows that is going to happen. I remember back to my ill spent youth and seeing some fresh young thing giving it up for me in the back of my car and thinking, "Hey maybe I should keep my dick in my pants and drive this nice young lady home." Oh wait a sec, that wasn't me. That was your imagination.

Now come on Jimmy Page, let's just get back on the tour bus and off we go to help President Obama to rock this economy back into shape!

L Gilbert
Put a cork in it. lol Seems to work to keep wine in the bottle.

El Barto
I thought her having a headache was contraceptive enough..............oh wait, she sleeps and can't really say no.

How many times I've waken my ex that way

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by El Barto View Post

I thought her having a headache was contraceptive enough..............oh wait, she sleeps and can't really say no.

How many times I've waken my ex that way

karrie
My question is, is it reversible? Is it safer for cancer than the hormones they pump us full of?

And why on earth is it the better way to prevent unwanted pregnancies? You just know that some poor girl is going to end up crying herself to sleep at night saying 'He said he was on birth control!!'

s_lone
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

My question is, is it reversible? Is it safer for cancer than the hormones they pump us full of?

And why on earth is it the better way to prevent unwanted pregnancies? You just know that some poor girl is going to end up crying herself to sleep at night saying 'He said he was on birth control!!'

Exactly what I'm thinking... If I was a woman, I'd much prefer trusting myself than any other man... Of course, I can understand how this could be interesting for stable long term relationships...

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by s_lone View Post

Exactly what I'm thinking... If I was a woman, I'd much prefer trusting myself than any other man... Of course, I can understand how this could be interesting for stable long term relationships...

I used to take birth control, but, its effects on my system were HORRIBLE. If hubby could have taken a reversible shot, it would have saved us a lot of headaches. As it is we're all past that point now... both of us have had surgeries that have ended any possibilities. If its reversibility is questionable though, I'd take mechanical interventions like surgery over chemical interventions. I've come to highly distrust drugs.

s_lone

I used to take birth control, but, its effects on my system were HORRIBLE. If hubby could have taken a reversible shot, it would have saved us a lot of headaches. As it is we're all past that point now... both of us have had surgeries that have ended any possibilities. If its reversibility is questionable though, I'd take mechanical interventions like surgery over chemical interventions. I've come to highly distrust drugs.

If you don't mind, what were the effects of the birth-control pill on you Karrie?

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by s_lone View Post

If you don't mind, what were the effects of the birth-control pill on you Karrie?

It made me essentially bi-polar. My husband and I now fondly refer to how many years I've been 'clean'. I'm a different person without it. The ups and downs I had on it were ridiculous, even at the lowest possible dosages.

#juan

My wife had the same problem with birth control pills. We decided that we would stop having children after two and after our daughter was born, I went in and had a vasectomy. As far as I'm concerned this is the way to go. About twenty minutes in the doctor's office and a few checks over a month to make sure you're shooting blanks and you are all set.

Dexter Sinister
I'd like to know how many women would actually believe a man who said, "I've had the shot." Probably wouldn't be an issue in a committed long term relationship, but there's a lot of casual sex going on out there.

L Gilbert
lol @ Dex.

Um, I think the thing with BC pills is that they fool a woman's body into "thinking" it is already pregnant. Changes hormonal balances.

L Gilbert
hehe Anyway, I like science cuz it comes up with choices, unlike religions and governments. Think I'll stick with what makes us happy here....... marsbar wrapper & elastic band, and some little doodad the wife calls a "softcup" or something.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

I'd like to know how many women would actually believe a man who said, "I've had the shot." Probably wouldn't be an issue in a committed long term relationship, but there's a lot of casual sex going on out there.

well, it would presumably be a moot point outside of a committed relationship anyhow, because everyone wears condoms. Right? Right?

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

hehe Anyway, I like science cuz it comes up with choices, unlike religions and governments. Think I'll stick with what makes us happy here....... marsbar wrapper & elastic band, and some little doodad the wife calls a "softcup" or something.

hubby went for the 'no stitch' vasectomy. Done in 10 minutes, healed in two days. Finis.

Of course, in the end, it was a waste of his time, since as of two weeks ago I'm drastically fixed... lol... but, the 4 worry free years between kids and my surgery were still worth it.

Free your mind

Put a cork in it. lol Seems to work to keep wine in the bottle.

In which one tho lol he/she

L Gilbert
Quote:

well, it would presumably be a moot point outside of a committed relationship anyhow, because everyone wears condoms. Right? Right?

Right, I hope. lol
Kinda disappointed no-one even loled at my joke about marsbars n soft cups. We both use non-invasive methods.

Free your mind
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister View Post

moot point indeed Dexter what proof would there be.? a small red mark hrmm

karrie

Right, I hope. lol
Kinda disappointed no-one even loled at my joke about marsbars n soft cups. We both use non-invasive methods.

I laughed, sorry for not saying it out loud.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by Free your mind View Post

In which one tho lol he/she

lol Be "safe", try both.

L Gilbert

I laughed, sorry for not saying it out loud.

ty I'm happy again.
Apparently I get confused between softcups and UIDs or whatever they are. lol Anna's laughing at me.

karrie

Right, I hope. lol

I have to ask though... what's considered non-invasive? When I read that it struck me that you must be talking surgery, because what the doc did to me two weeks ago is WAY less invasive than what the pill does to me... lol. This made me suspect that different people have different views on it.

L Gilbert
Yes, I meant invasive as in surgery. lol Obviously sticking some contraption (whatever it's called lol ) is invasive, too, but I meant as in perforating skin.

tracy
People are such babies about injections. I've used injectable birth control for years. It's the best thing!!! I can't say I'd trust a man to be in charge of the birth control, but I'm happy it will give them the same option I have.

coldstream
I'll bet there are all kinds of unforseen health consequences. Fooling around with hormome levels usually ends up wreaking havock on the immune system, so beware. Frankly if you are in a secure, monogamous relationship.. natural birth control, also known as the rhythm method, if done properly, is as effective as synthetic alternatives. A woman is fertile for something like 100 to 120 hours of the 700 in her cycle, and a little abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.

If you're playing the field, well no birth control is fool proof from pregnancy or disease
Last edited by coldstream; May 12th, 2009 at 01:23 PM..