Central Alberta school trustee accused of racist, homophobic tweets

mentalfloss

A central Alberta school trustee, accused of tweeting racist, sexist and homophobic material, says he regrets his behaviour, but will not step down.

Jim Andre, a newly-elected trustee for the Battle River School Division based in Camrose, tweeted and retweeted profane comments and jokes denigrating black people, Jewish people and others.

"Watching black people on maury povich ... not hard to tell the porch monkey gene still runs wild" --Andre tweeted May 24th under the username @hotone1963.
"The real crime of Aushwitz? All those carbon emissions," -- retweeted May 19th from an account labelled @TheFunnyRacist.
"F--K u BRSD (Battle River School Division)..." -- tweeted May 17th.

The tweets were brought to the attention of Kris Wells, with the Institute for Sexual Minority Studies & Services at the University of Alberta.

"There can be no question that Mr. Andre's personal comments, and his retweets, are incredibly offensive and inappropriate for any member of public office," he wrote in a letter to Education Minister Jeff Johnson, the BRSD and the Alberta School Board Association.

"His pattern of tweets clearly indicate that this is not a simple mistake in judgment or one time occurrence," Wells said. "It is questionable as to whether a person who publicly ascribes to these views is fit for public office."

CBC My Region - Central Alberta school trustee accused of racist, homophobic tweets

CDNBear
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
Dude, did you really just hunt down a Ford-esque dude, who spouted off bigoted comments and won't step down?

Or is that a coincidence?

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

A central Alberta school trustee, accused of tweeting racist, sexist and homophobic material, says he regrets his behaviour, but will not step down.

Jim Andre, a newly-elected trustee for the Battle River School Division based in Camrose, tweeted and retweeted profane comments and jokes denigrating black people, Jewish people and others.

"Watching black people on maury povich ... not hard to tell the porch monkey gene still runs wild" --Andre tweeted May 24th under the username @hotone1963.
"The real crime of Aushwitz? All those carbon emissions," -- retweeted May 19th from an account labelled @TheFunnyRacist.
"F--K u BRSD (Battle River School Division)..." -- tweeted May 17th.

The tweets were brought to the attention of Kris Wells, with the Institute for Sexual Minority Studies & Services at the University of Alberta.

"There can be no question that Mr. Andre's personal comments, and his retweets, are incredibly offensive and inappropriate for any member of public office," he wrote in a letter to Education Minister Jeff Johnson, the BRSD and the Alberta School Board Association.

"His pattern of tweets clearly indicate that this is not a simple mistake in judgment or one time occurrence," Wells said. "It is questionable as to whether a person who publicly ascribes to these views is fit for public office."

CBC My Region - Central Alberta school trustee accused of racist, homophobic tweets

Okay, well I'm thinking buddy didn't include any of this on his campaign leaflets.

But I have to say just how freaking sad it makes me that we are all judging a person (who happens to be a real douchebag apparently) based on something called "a pattern of tweets." That's just so, I don't know, game over, the human race is done now.
Last edited by SLM; Nov 6th, 2013 at 08:46 PM..