Vegans demand that village of Wool change its name

Blackleaf
An animal rights group has been roundly mocked after suggesting the Dorset village of Wool change its name - as it currently ‘promotes cruelty to sheep’.

Instead PETA want the 1,000 year old village to be called ‘Vegan Wool’ - to the derision of residents.

Elisa Allen, a director at PETA, has written to Wool Parish Council with the ‘ridiculous’ request. She said the change in name would promote kindness to sheep...

‘So Cheddar Gorge could be Vegan Cheddar Gorge?’ Neighbours ridicule Animal rights group PETA after it says the 1,000-year-old English village of Wool should change its name because it currently ‘promotes cruelty to sheep’

The village of Wool, near Dorchester in Dorset, dates to the 11th Century

The name comes from the Anglo-Saxon word ‘welle’, a water spring, and has nothing to do with sheep or the wool industry

Formal letter from animal rights group PETA is expected to be laughed out of the room by parish councillors at forthcoming meeting

Village residents took to social media to mockingly suggest other name changes

By Joel Adams For Mailonline
22 November 2018

An animal rights group has been roundly mocked after suggesting the Dorset village of Wool change its name - as it currently ‘promotes cruelty to sheep’.

Instead PETA want the 1,000 year old village to be called ‘Vegan Wool’ - to the derision of residents.

Elisa Allen, a director at PETA, has written to Wool Parish Council with the ‘ridiculous’ request. She said the change in name would promote kindness to sheep.

The activist said they would give a ‘cruelty-free’ woollen blanket to all 2,000 households in the village if they agree to the suggestion.

PETA claim to have uncovered cruelty shown to sheep in the British wool industry that includes animals being punched in the face, trampled on and beaten with electric clippers.

Ms Allen said that the people of ‘Vegan Wool’ would show an act of kindness to sheep if they changed the name of the village.

Animal rights group PETA asked Wool in Dorset to change its name to Vegan Wool so as to stop 'promoting cruelty to sheep'. The name derives from the Anglo-Saxon word "welle", a well or spring
+6

Because PETA has made the suggestion in writing members of Wool Parish Council are obliged to list it on the agenda at their next meeting - but the matter is likely to be laughed out of the room.

Local councillor Cherry Brooks said: “It is a ridiculous request and it’s caused quite a stir in the village.

“A few people are quite offended but most people seem to find it amusing.

“The proposal will now need to be discussed at the next council meeting, which will be interesting.”

Mrs Brooks also accused PETA of getting its facts wrong on Wool as the village name is derived from the Anglo-Saxon word ‘welle’, a water spring, and has nothing to do with the wool industry.

Other villagers took to social media to defend the name of Wool and slam PETA’s suggestion.

Members of the parish's Facebook group wasted no time in sharing their thoughts on the suggestion, many of which were not positive

Jayne Merchant said: “The name Wool should remain as it is, the idea of renaming the village is utterly ridiculous. It’s the most idiotic idea I have come across in a long time.”

Leanne Welsh wrote: "So Cheddar Gorge could be Vegan Cheddar Gorge? Burgar in Scotland could be Veggie Burgar!"

Jo Holloway added: “It’s not April 1st yet surely!”

And Anne Vincent said: “The name Wool has nothing to do with sheep. It comes from the Saxon word for spring (welle).”

In her letter Ms Allen said: “I’m writing on behalf of PETA with a suggestion that would put Wool in the spotlight and promote kindness to sheep: renaming the village ‘Vegan Wool’.

“Why make this animal-friendly update? Unlike wool that is stolen from sheep, vegan wool is good for animals and the environment.

“Sheep’s wool, on the other hand, has been shown to be a product of extreme cruelty.

“A recently released PETA Asia eyewitness investigation of the British wool industry revealed that shearers punched sheep in the face, stamped and stood on their heads and necks, and beat and jabbed them in the face with electric clippers.

“Fast, rough shearing left sheep with large, bloody wounds that shearers crudely stitched up using a needle and thread - and no pain relief.

Holy Rood church in Wool sits near the centre of the 1000-year-old Dorset village

Wool Bridge over the River Frome in Dorset might be renamed Vegan Wool Bridge if the activists' request is granted - but councillors say consideration of their letter is a formality

“Several sheep even died during shearing from possible shock - or what one farmer called a ‘heart attack’.

“With a simple name change, your village can take a stand against this cruelty and remind everyone that it’s easy to stay warm and be warmhearted to sheep by choosing vegan wool and other animal-free materials.”

Wool has a population of 5,310 and has its origins in the 11th century.

On its outskirts is Woolbridge Manor House which was the location of Tess’s honeymoon in Thomas Hardy’s beloved novel Tess of the D’Urbervilles.

Earlier this week it emerged a pub in York changed its name from ‘Shoulder of Mutton’ to ‘Hemworth Inn’ to attract more vegans to eat there.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...egan-Wool.html

Dixie Cup
OMG, how "utterly" asinine! LOL

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Dixie Cup View Post

OMG, how "utterly" asinine! LOL

So is veganism.

Ron in Regina
+2
#4  Top Rated Post
Vegetarianism is a dietary choice, where as Veganism is a political choice, as we can see with this story.

petros
+2
I'm not impressed with Lima Peru being named after a bean.

MHz
The local term was 'Limeytown', any idea why?

Blackleaf
How long before they ask that West Ham in East London change its name? Or Fryup, North Yorkshire?

Danbones
Change the name to "MEET"!

that will mess those vegetable heads up.

It is NOT cruel to let sheep sweat to death in the summer as god wants when you could relieve their suffering by trimming their fur.

Trust me, when the vegetarians realize they are in competition for the same food and it's driving up the prices, they will be all about wiping out the sheep because the MAY get some strange disease, like they did with the hoof and mouth cattle they genocided a few years ago...

which were slaughtered to save them...by SHARPSHOOTERS!!!...Then BBQed, which was OK, because no one used them for meat.

Quick shoot them before we are over run!...OH my gawd! They are in the trees!!!!
(The cows, not the vegetarians..sadly)
Last edited by Danbones; 2 weeks ago at 06:13 AM..

Danbones
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

The local term was 'Limeytown', any idea why?

Likely it was a town...or town like..or aspired to be a town, or something.

Also in the veg world "limey" is sometimes short for "slimey", as in:

"The slimey lime, he doth lie madly on my thyme!" - by S. Lime Rick.

Blackleaf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

Change the name to "MEET"!

that will mess those vegetable heads up.

It is NOT cruel to let sheep sweat to death in the summer as god wants when you could relieve their suffering by trimming their fur.

Trust me, when the vegetarians realize they are in competition for the same food and it's driving up the prices, they will be all about wiping out the sheep because the MAY get some strange disease, like they did with the hoof and mouth cattle they genocided a few years ago...

which were slaughtered to save them...by SHARPSHOOTERS!!!...Then BBQed, which was OK, because no one used them for meat.

Quick shoot them before we are over run!...OH my gawd! They are in the trees!!!!
(The cows, not the vegetarians..sadly)

One argument against changing the name of Wool is that it's derived from an old Anglo-Saxon name and therefore it would lose its a bit of its heritage.

But if they were to change its name they should do it to really piss the vegans off: Sausagebaconhamlambporkchickenbeefspareribchester has a nice ring to it.
Last edited by Blackleaf; 2 weeks ago at 07:08 AM..

Blackleaf
Sunset Over Wool - Drone 2K Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1STnS4R8mo

Wool /wʊl/ is a large village, civil parish and electoral ward in the Purbeck district of Dorset, England. In the 2011 census the parish – which includes Bovington Camp army base to the north – had 2,015 households and a population of 5,310.[1] The village lies at a historic bridging point on the River Frome, half-way between Dorchester and Wareham. Woolbridge Manor House, a 14th-century building, is a prominent feature just outside the village and the location of Tess's honeymoon in Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles . Other prominent features of the village include the medieval church of Holy Rood, the railway station on the South Western Main Line from London Waterloo to Weymouth, and the thatched cottages along Spring Street.

The place-name 'Wool' is first attested in Anglo-Saxon Writs from 1002 to 1012, where it appears as Wyllon. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it appears as Wille and Welle, and as Welles in 1212 in the Book of Fees. The name means 'springs' in the sense of the related word wells.[2]

Near Wool, to the east of the village, are the ruins of Bindon Abbey, which was demolished in the Dissolution of the Monasteries of 1539, the stone being used to build castles in Portland, Lulworth and Sandsfoot.

According to local knowledge, only one building was destroyed during the war – on 3 May 1941. The building was a small bungalow by the name of "Two Birches", located on Bailey's Drove. The house was later rebuilt.

A small single-lane hump-backed stone bridge, a Grade II* listed structure about 200m north from the railway station, is no longer used for vehicular traffic. The place name Wullebrigg, recorded in 1244, indicates a crossing here in the thirteenth century and there is an extant record from 1343 of a bridge crossing the River Frome at this point. It has a stone half-way along it stating that those who deface or damage the bridge will be transported (sent to Australia or another penal colony) for the rest of their lives. In January 2018 one of the bridge's stone parapets collapsed, undermined by floodwater, but the arches remained undamaged.[3] [4]

Local places of interest include The Tank Museum and Monkey World. It also boasts surrounding hamlets, including East Burton and Giddy Green.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wool,_Dorset

Serryah
+1
Hell hath indeed frozen over.

I agree with Blackleaf on something.

This, coupled with the idiocy over getting 'permission' from dogs before they become service dogs/seeing eye dogs just proves the AR people are really starting to lose their minds.

Is it possible eating too much veg can cause mold/rot on the brain?

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Hell hath indeed frozen over.

I agree with Blackleaf on something.

This, coupled with the idiocy over getting 'permission' from dogs before they become service dogs/seeing eye dogs just proves the AR people are really starting to lose their minds.

Is it possible eating too much veg can cause mold/rot on the brain?

https://www.theguardian.com/notesand...-83446,00.html.......

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/notesand...-83446,00.html.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y7QhnjyDXU

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Vegetarianism is a dietary choice, where as Veganism is a political choice, as we can see with this story.

Nothing to do with it. A vegetarian abstains from all animal products (e.g. meat and fish). A vegan abstains from all animal products and byproducts (including milk, eggs, and honey for example). Then there exist quasi-vegans (e.g. those who buy and prepare vegan but will eat meat when offered it).

Veganism is not necessarily political, though obviously some do politicize it.

Danbones
Well, since the word "vegetable" sometimes refers to really stupid people

The term "vegetarian" likewise sometimes has a really creepy ring to it.

Last edited by Danbones; 2 weeks ago at 05:38 PM..

Ron in Regina
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Nothing to do with it. A vegetarian abstains from all animal products (e.g. meat and fish). A vegan abstains from all animal products and byproducts (including milk, eggs, and honey for example). Then there exist quasi-vegans (e.g. those who buy and prepare vegan but will eat meat when offered it).

Veganism is not necessarily political, though obviously some do politicize it.

Explain why a Vegan won't use honey, or wear a leather coat. Why will a Vegan eat or wear whatever they eat or wear that has been produced or delivered to them using fossil fuels?

(Does a Vegan source their fossil fuels based upon whether it is generated from prehistoric plant or animal remains?)

Bar Sinister
I must say that I really don't cotton to the idea of Wool having to change its name. And I wonder if vegans plan to go after these towns.

• Alaska: Fox, Chicken
  • Arkansas: Deer
  • California: Antelope
  • Colorado: Dinosaur
  • Florida: Flamingo
  • Georgia: Parrot
  • Kansas: Partridge
  • Louisiana: Trout, Pelican
  • Michigan: White Pigeon, Wolverine
  • Minnesota: Badger
  • Mississippi: Alligator
  • Missouri: Crane
  • Montana: Anaconda, Monarch, Otter
  • Nebraska: Eagle
  • Nevada: Carp
  • New Jersey: White Horse
  • New Mexico: Coyote
  • New York: Buffalo
  • Ohio: Fly
  • Oklahoma: Mustang
  • Pennsylvania: Sturgeon
  • South Dakota: Porcupine
  • Texas: Falcon, Turkey, Marlin
  • Utah: Beaver
  • Washington: Elk, Tiger, Cougar, White Swan, White Salmon
  • West Virginia: Duck, Man
  • Wyoming: Wolf, Moose

And then there are Sturgeon and Beaver County in Alberta, as well as Shrewsbury, Buzzard, Oxford, and so on in Britain.

Serryah
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

I must say that I really don't cotton to the idea of Wool having to change its name. And I wonder if vegans plan to go after these towns.

And then there are Sturgeon and Beaver County in Alberta, as well as Shrewsbury, Buzzard, Oxford, and so on in Britain.

Check Wikipedia for Newfoundland Town names.

They'd be years there alone trying to change names.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
I understand that, in honour of the Prime Minister, the village of May in Hampshire is changing its name to May-Up-Shit-Creek.

Danbones
To may or may not...that is the question...

Quote: Originally Posted by Serryah View Post

Check Wikipedia for Newfoundland Town names.
They'd be years there alone trying to change names.

Yeah, then the newfs, after changing all the meat names to something else

would then have to change all the new fish word names to something not eaten by man.

I wonder how they will deal with terms like "Peggy's Cove"
Last edited by Danbones; 2 weeks ago at 11:29 AM..

petros
Dildo Run Provincial Park NL

That's a keeper as is Blow Me Down Provincial Park

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Dildo Run Provincial Park NL
That's a keeper as is Blow Me Down Provincial Park

In southwestern Virginia: Big Bone Lick State Park.

petros
I'm not surprised Big Bone Lick is in Virginia.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

Maybe they'll soon start asking Nicola Sturgeon to change her name. She's been leader of the SNP and Scotland's First Minister since taking over from... Alex Salmond.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

Maybe they'll soon start asking Nicola Sturgeon to change her name. She's been leader of the SNP and Scotland's First Minister since taking over from... Alex Salmond.

Heh-heh. Blackshirt thinks a "salmond" is a fish.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Heh-heh. Blackshirt thinks a "salmond" is a fish.

Frig off, troll. Just sod off to Friggery and don't come back.

Tecumsehsbones

Frig off, troll. Just sod off to Friggery and don't come back.

Sad, ineffectual little twat.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Sad, ineffectual little twat.

Twatt is in Orkney. Some snowflakes probably find that name offensive, too. Probably wouldn't surprise me if you're one of them.

Tecumsehsbones

Twatt is in Orkney. Some snowflakes probably find that name offensive, too. Probably wouldn't surprise me if you're one of them.

The truly sad part is that you thought that clever.