An arrest warrant has been issued for Const. James Forcillo, Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit said in a statement Monday morning. Because the warrant was just issued, the agency said, Forcillo has not yet been taken into custody.
The statement from the agency said that SIU director, “Ian Scott, has reasonable grounds to believe that a Toronto Police Service (TPS) officer committed a criminal offence in relation to the shooting death of 18-year-old Sammy Adib Yatim in July of 2013.”
Forcillo was suspended with pay while the SIU conducted its investigation.
Earlier this month, Ontario’s ombudsman announced he was launching a formal investigation into provincial guidelines issued to police for de-escalating conflict situations.
Andre Marin said his investigation will look at how police forces across the province train officers to respond to conflict situations, and whether the Ministry of Community and Correctional Services should consider implementing a province-wide standard.
Marin said his probe will also look at what became of recommendations that came out of coroners’ inquests and other reports into police shootings dating back to 1994. The investigation will take between six and 12 months.
Yatim’s shooting also sparked an online petition calling for criminal charges to be laid. Within days, the petition had more than 30,000 signatures.