Basis for Kilogram Changed

Ocean Breeze

For more than a century, the kilogram was based on a hunk of metal. The world just redefined it using quantum physics.

Since the 19th century, the world had based the kilogram on a prototype, which was stored in a safe in France. When that prototype was examined in the 1980s, it weighed less than it should, creating an international uproar.

Now representatives of more than 60 countries have approved a new definition for the kilogram by tying it to an unchanging feature from quantum physics called Planck��s constant. The new definition, unlike a physical object, should be constant across space and time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...ational&wpmk=1

MHz
I don't this holding the attention of everybody for a few years.

Blackleaf
What the hell's a "kilogram"?

MHz
+1
Ask the Royals, that is what size heroin comes in when they order some.

Blackleaf
+2
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

Ask the Royals, that is what size heroin comes in when they order some.

MHz
I'm making in-roads with you, wow. There is an unexpected consequence.

It was probably the Queen who stole the original one, check under her bed next time you are there.

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze View Post

For more than a century, the kilogram was based on a hunk of metal. The world just redefined it using quantum physics.

Since the 19th century, the world had based the kilogram on a prototype, which was stored in a safe in France. When that prototype was examined in the 1980s, it weighed less than it should, creating an international uproar.

Now representatives of more than 60 countries have approved a new definition for the kilogram by tying it to an unchanging feature from quantum physics called Planck��s constant. The new definition, unlike a physical object, should be constant across space and time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/scien...ational&wpmk=1

There are no material constants in the universe. The famously declared gravity constant isn,t and requires adjustment every so often.

taxslave
The only important item is that it won't affect your bathrro scale. Diet still on.

MHz
Seismic crews in the far north had a crew called 'gravity testers' who were able to tell if the crust under their feet was solid rock or it had voids that would be filled with gas or oil. I had different duties so I didn't get to chat with them very much.