Budget 2018: Ontario Can't Afford Doug Ford's Cuts

mentalfloss
Ford to eclipse Wynne's deficits with absolutely no revenue and Ontario will be paying for generations for his mistakes.

Driving Ontario over the cliff: Doug Ford’s fiscal plan

U.S. President Donald Trump has taught us all about so-called political discourse based on “huge” exaggerations and falsehoods.

As I write this, Trump is pushing the stock market into a vertical nose dive with trade-war threats that hardly tally with the business acumen he loves to boast about. Americans are paying a very steep price for voting for his slogan, “Make America great again,” instead of a platform grounded in down-to-earth reality.

None of this, of course, is new. But Trump’s hyperbole and lies do provide a disquieting note of caution to Ontarians as they head toward the polls with new Conservative leader Doug Ford promising to use his own business perspicacity to weed out $6 billion in spending from the province’s books by eliminating “inefficiencies” without any loss of public-sector jobs.

That money is supposed to pay for Ford’s promises, including a decrease in hospital wait times, meaning that Ford certainly isn’t going to find any savings in the health sector, which accounts for a whopping 42 per cent of program spending in the province. If anything, more money is needed for health.

Nor is there any real money lying around in the broad sector of education and training (another 27 per cent of the provincial program budget).

Investing in our future labour force is the only sure ticket to prosperity in the years ahead. But, what would it really mean if Ford were to look for his $6 billion in education. Either closing more than 1-in-5 elementary and secondary schools throughout the province and laying off about 66,000 teachers, or ripping out more than half of the budget for colleges, universities and skills development.

If Ford were to wipe out the entire justice system— $4.7 billion — he still wouldn’t have his $6 billion in savings.

He could get it from Children’s and Social Services ($16.9 billion), but that would mean slashing those vital services by roughly 35 per cent. Great if he believes that thousands of kids, abused women, disabled Ontarians and welfare recipients should join the already far too many homeless people now sleeping on the streets.

Or he could get his $6 billion by wiping out about 30 per cent of every other government program, including transit and transportation, agriculture, tourism, the environment, and municipal affairs.

Alternatively, if Ford thinks public servants are inefficient, he could generate his needed savings by firing all 60,000 of them. That would save nearly $6 billion but it would leave him to run the province all by himself.

Oh yes, slogans are appealing. If it didn’t already belong to General Electric, the slogan “Imagination at work” could accurately describe Ford’s fiscal plan.

But don’t take my word for it. Just consider Conservative estimates of how many jobs would have to be eliminated to generate savings of $6 billion. Back in 2014, then-Conservative leader Tim Hudak promised to eliminate 100,000 public-sector jobs in Ontario for savings that he estimated at $2 billion. When the reality of what those job losses would mean took hold in the minds of Ontarians, they sent Hudak packing.

And with Ford basing Ontario’s future on $6 billion in fictitious efficiencies — a figure clearly picked out of thin air — a prudent election outcome is possible only if, and it’s an awfully big if, Ontarians wake up in time to what this huckster is selling.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/cont...scal-plan.html

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+1

mentalfloss
That's what I'm saying.
(but that's only because I'm well off and it doesn't matter to me)

White_Unifier
For crying out loud. That's how the Conservatives always make me hesitate to vote for them. You want to promise expenditure cuts, by all means. You want to mention tax cuts as an aspirational goal, great. But for crying out loud, you sink your credibility the moment you promise expenditure cuts.

Ontario Liberals bet big on seniors' care, drug and dental coverage in 2018 pre-election budget | CBC News

Whither the fiscal conservatives?

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

That's what I'm saying.
(but that's only because I'm well off and it doesn't matter to me)

LOL, the fakenews communism you always preach about like it was a religion takes from the well off and then shoots them for not owning a gun

this should be fun either way.

mentalfloss
I've never endorsed communism.

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
No? Every post is drowning in Canada hating communismfascismnazism and globalism...

petros
+2
I just heard him says the interest Ontario's debt is $1B a year.

What a waste.

Danbones
Free Thinker
Yeah with interest rates at almost zero...

petros
+1
Uh uh. An A+ credit rating doesn't get the cheap money.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+2 / -1
Trumpites love debt. Ford will cut taxes more than spending and the debt will pile up. Walter will be happy about that

White_Unifier
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Trumpites love debt. Ford will cut taxes more than spending and the debt will pile up. Walter will be happy about that

But whom can we vote for? The liberals want to spend our way into debt. the Dippers think the liberals aren't maxing the credit card fast enough. The Tories want to reduce our taxes into debt. I don't know about the Libertarians this year, but in the past they too just wanted to slash taxes and let the debt balloon out of control. I'm not sure where the Green party stands on this, but it doesn't look like we have a heck of a lot of options. Where the hell is the fiscally conservative politician? Our our voters really so stupid that even with three pro-debt leaders dividing the pro-debt vote, there still is no place for at least one fiscally conservative party? Ontario's screwed.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1 / -1
I wouldn't vote for anybody. I'd move out of Ontario. It's quite a silly place.

White_Unifier
+2

I wouldn't vote for anybody. I'd move out of Ontario. It's quite a silly place.

I don't live in Ontario right now, but we might be moving into Ontario in the next year. Sometimes we go where the opportunities are. But damn! I can't vote in this Ontario election, but I just hope they vote for some sensible MPs. But when the population itself is illiterate, whom do we expect it to vote for?

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+2

I've never endorsed communism.

No you endorse red fascism, which is what most people mistakenly refer to as communism.

mentalfloss
Never endorsed any form of fascism whether it's red, white, blue, stars or stripes.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Wynn has already driven us off the cliff. She put on the gas with her last budget. All we can do now is try to control the rate we are falling.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Sometimes we go where the opportunities are.

Then you should be heading west

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Wynn has already driven us off the cliff...

Yup. That's why smart people go west.

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
You mean let's pretend smart people.

Everyone in Ontario should go buy a house in vancouver out of their pocket change.

Oh wait....no one in Ontario has any because we have had a liebarrel government wrecking the place and buying votes with other people's money.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
I don't know what "let us pretend" smart people means

Danbones
Free Thinker
+1
Of course you don't...

that's the biggest symptom

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

....no one in Ontario has any because we have had a liebarrel government wrecking the place and buying votes with other people's money.

And yet they continue to stay there. Not very smart. They probably arent the type of folks we need anyway. At least the immigrants from shytehole countries have something to offer

Danbones
Free Thinker
+2
Yes I can see how you might say that, but the truth is cowards run and make the same mess where they go...instead of fixing their own messes where they made them.

Look at the map...YOU are HERE

Jinentonix
No Party Affiliation
+4
#24  Top Rated Post

Never endorsed any form of fascism whether it's red, white, blue, stars or stripes.

You keep telling yourself that, bud. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

..cowards run and make the same mess where they go..

No. Cowards are too afraid to leave their safe haven. I'm fine with them staying in Ontario, coddled as they are

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

You keep telling yourself that, bud. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Your bumba clot is leaking.

Gilgamesh
+1

Ford to eclipse Wynne's deficits with absolutely no revenue and Ontario will be paying for generations for his mistakes.

Driving Ontario over the cliff: Doug Ford’s fiscal plan

U.S. President Donald Trump has taught us all about so-called political discourse based on “huge” exaggerations and falsehoods.

As I write this, Trump is pushing the stock market into a vertical nose dive with trade-war threats that hardly tally with the business acumen he loves to boast about. Americans are paying a very steep price for voting for his slogan, “Make America great again,” instead of a platform grounded in down-to-earth reality.

None of this, of course, is new. But Trump’s hyperbole and lies do provide a disquieting note of caution to Ontarians as they head toward the polls with new Conservative leader Doug Ford promising to use his own business perspicacity to weed out $6 billion in spending from the province’s books by eliminating “inefficiencies” without any loss of public-sector jobs.

That money is supposed to pay for Ford’s promises, including a decrease in hospital wait times, meaning that Ford certainly isn’t going to find any savings in the health sector, which accounts for a whopping 42 per cent of program spending in the province. If anything, more money is needed for health.

Nor is there any real money lying around in the broad sector of education and training (another 27 per cent of the provincial program budget).

Investing in our future labour force is the only sure ticket to prosperity in the years ahead. But, what would it really mean if Ford were to look for his $6 billion in education. Either closing more than 1-in-5 elementary and secondary schools throughout the province and laying off about 66,000 teachers, or ripping out more than half of the budget for colleges, universities and skills development.

If Ford were to wipe out the entire justice system— $4.7 billion — he still wouldn’t have his $6 billion in savings.

He could get it from Children’s and Social Services ($16.9 billion), but that would mean slashing those vital services by roughly 35 per cent. Great if he believes that thousands of kids, abused women, disabled Ontarians and welfare recipients should join the already far too many homeless people now sleeping on the streets.

Or he could get his $6 billion by wiping out about 30 per cent of every other government program, including transit and transportation, agriculture, tourism, the environment, and municipal affairs.

Alternatively, if Ford thinks public servants are inefficient, he could generate his needed savings by firing all 60,000 of them. That would save nearly $6 billion but it would leave him to run the province all by himself.

Oh yes, slogans are appealing. If it didn’t already belong to General Electric, the slogan “Imagination at work” could accurately describe Ford’s fiscal plan.

But don’t take my word for it. Just consider Conservative estimates of how many jobs would have to be eliminated to generate savings of $6 billion. Back in 2014, then-Conservative leader Tim Hudak promised to eliminate 100,000 public-sector jobs in Ontario for savings that he estimated at $2 billion. When the reality of what those job losses would mean took hold in the minds of Ontarians, they sent Hudak packing.

And with Ford basing Ontario’s future on $6 billion in fictitious efficiencies — a figure clearly picked out of thin air — a prudent election outcome is possible only if, and it’s an awfully big if, Ontarians wake up in time to what this huckster is selling.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/cont...scal-plan.html

Not only can we afford Dougs cuts, we desperately need to do so.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post

Not only can we afford Dougs cuts, we desperately need to do so.

They need to cut spending more than taxes. Don't hold your breath. Too many entitled seniors in Ontario

White_Unifier
+1

Then you should be heading west

Yup. That's why smart people go west.

That depends on both my and my wife's specific skills.

And yet they continue to stay there. Not very smart. They probably arent the type of folks we need anyway. At least the immigrants from shytehole countries have something to offer

We also need to balance how far we're willing to move away from family and friends. It's not all about money. If it was, there would be no rich people in Canada. They'd all have moved to tax havens.

They need to cut spending more than taxes. Don't hold your breath. Too many entitled seniors in Ontario

Are you saying that tax cuts should dovetail with spending cuts? If only most Ontarians were smart enough to understand that.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Lazy people always have excuses