FACTORS affecting life expectancy

JLM
What are the factors that affect life expectancy and how much does each contribute? Is the healthcare system a contributing factor, if so by how much?

Johnnny
nutrition - obviously alot, for obvious reasons
crime - dont want to get shot
education - if you dont know what to look for or expect things can get worse
habits - if you smoke your lungs or drink your liver away, then your done son
pride - you need help, dont be afraid to admit it
no drug plan 0 gotta buy those meds now
sanitation - dont want dysntery
cleanliness- if you stink you probally have alot of germs living on you

El Barto
ummm nagging

Johnnny
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

nutrition - obviously alot, for obvious reasons
crime - dont want to get shot
education - if you dont know what to look for or expect things can get worse
habits - if you smoke your lungs or drink your liver away, then your done son
pride - you need help, dont be afraid to admit it
no drug plan 0 gotta buy those meds now
sanitation - dont want dysntery
cleanliness- if you stink you probally have alot of germs living on you

how much does each contribute? well that depends on the individual

countryboy
State of mind.

Johnnny
do you mean like infant mortaility, still births that kind of stuff?

JLM

how much does each contribute? well that depends on the individual

My guess is you've covered about 80% right there, Johnny.

JLM

do you mean like infant mortaility, still births that kind of stuff?

Sure, if they are a significant factor.

Tonington
Don't forget genetics, though Johnny was pretty much there with "depends on the individual."

Genetics can load the gun, the environment/life style pulls the trigger.

Tonington
Another one, proximity to industrial pollution.

L Gilbert
Stupidity? (Darwinian Awards and all that, you know)

Tonington
lol, definitely!

JLM
I think regular physical exercise has to be near top of the list.

Johnnny
I heard when you do alot of running it will help clean your lungs out, because of the heavy breathing is this true?

L Gilbert
Geography. People that live in flood plains, earthquake zones, slide areas, near volcanoes, tornado alleys, etc. probably won't live as long as others.
Stress. Lower stress probably means longer life. Certainly better quality of life.

L Gilbert

I heard when you do alot of running it will help clean your lungs out, because of the heavy breathing is this true?

Running is one, yes. Any exertion that makes you breathe heavy will do it, though.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Geography. People that live in flood plains, earthquake zones, slide areas, near volcanoes, tornado alleys, etc. probably won't live as long as others.
Stress. Lower stress probably means longer life. Certainly better quality of life.

You could probably add large cities to that.

Cliffy
Sudden impact can shorten life expectancy.

emmat
I think a big part is your genes but you can of course make a huge differnece by the foods you eat and the lifestyle you follow. Stress can really be a killer.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by emmat View Post

I think a big part is your genes but you can of course make a huge differnece by the foods you eat and the lifestyle you follow. Stress can really be a killer.

You're mainly right, I think although I think stress as a killer is contraversial. I think stress is a condition that was originally created to preserve or prolong life. There are many really old people who have had pretty tough lives. I think most important after genes is physical activity, mental activity helps a lot too.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by El Barto View Post

ummm nagging

I hear that and I think there is a little more truth than fun in this.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

I hear that and I think there is a little more truth than fun in this.

Absolutely, nagging is the main cause of violent death in women between 20 and 40,,

countryboy
Over the years, I have worked with or known many people who seem to be bitchy, overly critical, overbearing, and generally unhappy about many things - ones that seem to tend to dwell on negative things. I've also worked with or known many folks who are positive, supportive, cheerful, upbeat, and fun to be around.

Anecdotally speaking (no facts, no figures, just a casual observation), I think the postive people didn't get sick as often as the negative people. They also seemed to handle sources of stress a lot better.

I've heard it said that negative energy attracts more negative energy, and the same goes for positive energy. If true, that might be a factor in lifespan or at the very least, the quality of the life.

There are positive sources of stress (an orgasm, for example) and negative sources - I think the effects on the body have much to do with how one copes with the incoming stresses. I used to work for a very successful executive who had a very positive attitude...he used to say, "Don't get rattled by the bad days - they make all the good days look better." He was a very decent boss and human being. He's well into his 80s now, and still healthy.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by countryboy View Post

Over the years, I have worked with or known many people who seem to be bitchy, overly critical, overbearing, and generally unhappy about many things - ones that seem to tend to dwell on negative things. I've also worked with or known many folks who are positive, supportive, cheerful, upbeat, and fun to be around.

Anecdotally speaking (no facts, no figures, just a casual observation), I think the postive people didn't get sick as often as the negative people. They also seemed to handle sources of stress a lot better.

I've heard it said that negative energy attracts more negative energy, and the same goes for positive energy. If true, that might be a factor in lifespan or at the very least, the quality of the life.

There are positive sources of stress (an orgasm, for example) and negative sources - I think the effects on the body have much to do with how one copes with the incoming stresses. I used to work for a very successful executive who had a very positive attitude...he used to say, "Don't get rattled by the bad days - they make all the good days look better." He was a very decent boss and human being. He's well into his 80s now, and still healthy.

Yeah. IOW, don't sweat the little (or short-term) stuff.

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by jlm View Post

absolutely, nagging is the main cause of violent death in women between 20 and 40,,

rotflmffao

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Absolutely, nagging is the main cause of violent death in women between 20 and 40,,

oooooo I missed this. Thanks for quoting it, Bart. lol

So when we are between 20 and 40, we get tired of being nagged at and kill our hubbies? Or when our hubbies are between 20 and 40, we kill them because they nag?

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

oooooo I missed this. Thanks for quoting it, Bart. lol

So when we are between 20 and 40, we get tired of being nagged at and kill our hubbies? Or when our hubbies are between 20 and 40, we kill them because they nag?

HAHAHAHA yeah yeah yeah , which sex is know for nagging dear ?

AnnaG

HAHAHAHA yeah yeah yeah , which sex is know for nagging dear ?

Don't you have a sexier dress than that? When are you going to make lasagna again? How come you only leave one or two little squares on the toilet paper roll? Can you get me a beer? Where did I put my keys?
I can go on.

El Barto
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Don't you have a sexier dress than that? When are you going to make lasagna again? How come you only leave one or two little squares on the toilet paper roll? Can you get me a beer? Where did I put my keys?
I can go on.

Those are questions dear lol

AnnaG

Those are questions dear lol

Yup. I think you're right. So?