Pompeo says Canada's claim to the Northwest Passage is 'illegitimate'


B00Mer
#1
Pompeo says Canada's claim to the Northwest Passage is 'illegitimate'




OTTAWA — Canada’s claim over the Northwest Passage is “illegitimate,” U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Monday in a major speech to the Arctic Council that Canadian experts called both provocative and frequently inaccurate.

Pompeo offered his characterization during a wide-ranging speech in Finland in which he also warned against China’s increased Arctic presence, saying it threatens North American security and could be harmful to the environment.

Pompeo reiterated long-held concerns about Russia’s military build-up in the Arctic and how that, too, is viewed as being counter to American security interests.

“No one denies Russia has significant Arctic interests,” Pompeo said in a transcript of remarks circulated by the U.S. State Department. “We recognize that Russia is not the only nation making illegitimate claims. The U.S. has a long-contested feud with Canada over sovereign claims through the Northwest Passage.”

Pompeo’s branding of a longtime disagreement on Arctic policy between the Canada and the U.S. is a “stunning rebuke” of the 1988 Arctic Co-operation agreement between the two countries, said Fen Hampson, the head of the international-security program at the Centre for International Governance Innovation in Waterloo, Ont.

“It underscores the ’upset-every-applecart’ approach by the Trump administration to Canada-U.S. relations,” said Hampson, the author of a recent book on the foreign policy of former prime minister Brian Mulroney.

The routes between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans run between Canadian islands but the two countries disagree about whether that makes them internal Canadian waters or international waters that have Canadian territory nearby. The disagreement matters more now that melting Arctic sea ice means the Northwest Passage is getting closer to being a viable commercial shipping route.

The agreement reached by Mulroney and then-president Ronald Reagan allows the U.S. to designate the Northwest Passage as an international waterway while allowing Canada to say that it is a part of Canadian sovereign territory.

The treaty recognizes the “close and friendly relations between their two countries, the uniqueness of ice-covered maritime areas, the opportunity to increase their knowledge of the marine environment of the Arctic through research conducted during icebreaker voyages, and their shared interest in safe, effective icebreaker navigation off their Arctic coasts.”




The Canadian government pointed to that agreement in responding to Pompeo’s speech.

“Canada and the U.S. have differing views regarding the status of the Northwest Passage under international law,” said Guillaume Berube, a spokesman for the Department of Foreign Affairs. “The situation is well managed, including through the 1988 Arctic Co-operation Agreement, according to which the U.S. government seeks Canada’s consent for its icebreakers to navigate the waterways. Canada remains committed to exercising the full extent of its rights and sovereignty over its territory and its Arctic waters, including the various waterways commonly referred to as the Northwest Passage. Those waterways are part of the internal waters of Canada.”

Hampson said the treaty was a “neighbourly understanding to agree to disagree about Canada’s territorial claims over the Northwest Passage, whereby the U.S. would seek Canada’s permission about transit through these straits.”

There is little that Canada can do if the U.S. sends a ship through the passage without prior notification, he said.

“We can remind them, though, that if they are worried about a growing Chinese and Russian presence in the North and aspirations to create a circumpolar Silk Road, they might want to work more closely with their NORAD partner and refrain from challenging our sovereignty,” said Hampson.

“This isn’t the time to be throwing snowballs.”

Michael Byers, an Arctic expert at the University of British Columbia, said Pompeo’s characterization of the Canadian position as illegitimate is actually factually correct, but it is “the only accurate and rational statement in the speech.”

The federal government should be worried that the top diplomat from one of its key Arctic allies got his facts so wrong, Byers said.

One of the most glaring of several mistakes, said Byers, is Pompeo’s assertion that China is trying to build infrastructure in the Canadian Far North.

China is “planning to build infrastructure from Canada, to the Northwest Territories, to Siberia,” Pompeo said. “This is part of a very familiar pattern. Beijing attempts to develop critical infrastructure using Chinese money, Chinese companies, and Chinese workers — in some cases, to establish a permanent Chinese security presence.”

China’s signature international infrastructure project, the multibillion-dollar Belt and Road Initiative, aims to expand trade by building roads, ports and other facilities to connect Asia through Africa and the Middle East to Europe.

The U.S. opposes what it sees as an aggressive push by China to assert its influence by lending money to less developed countries and creating what is known as a “debt trap.” A Chinese state-owned company ended up in possession of a port in Sri Lanka when that country couldn’t pay off loans, for instance.

“I have not heard of any Chinese plans to build infrastructure in the Canadian Arctic,” said Byers. “There’s no factual basis, certainly not in the public domain, and that would also require the full involvement of the Canadian government. It’s just flat-out wrong.”

(Byers did note that northern Quebec has a Chinese-owned lithium mine.)

A senior government official, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation, said Pompeo did not appear to refer to specific Chinese projects in Canada related to the Belt and Road Initiative and may have been speculating.

The official added: “There are no investments here, nor are there any contemplated.”

Berube, the spokesman for the Foreign Affairs Department, said Canada “welcomes continued discussions with China on Arctic issues,” which the two countries can have through existing two-way and multinational mechanisms.


Source:: https://calgaryherald.com/news/canad...d-072e547210af
 
taxslave
#2
EVerything from a line 200 milew off the coast of Labrador to the North pole to the Yukon Alaska border to the North pole belongs to Canada. And even Alaska may be because Russia never had the legal right to sell it to the yankees.
Please don't let trudOWE fukk this up for a new party dress.
 
Gilgamesh
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

EVerything from a line 200 milew off the coast of Labrador to the North pole to the Yukon Alaska border to the North pole belongs to Canada. And even Alaska may be because Russia never had the legal right to sell it to the yankees.
Please don't let trudOWE fukk this up for a new party dress.

Canada is not powerful enough to play with the big boys,so any claims we want to make are delusional.

We exist as a sovereign country just as long as the U.S wishes so as long as wild cards like Trump are around we should keep a low profile.

No, I don't like it either.
 
Hoid
#4
Andrew Scheer has the answer for this.

More bag licking.
 
Johnnny
#5
A North West Passage path will be found and it will be international. Sucks but that's the most likely scenario
 
Curious Cdn
#6
That's are so-called "friend and ally" that doesn't even recognise our borders.
 
Danbones
#7
Yeah, it's our gaza.

You know...the global war ming climate.
 
Danbones
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by HoidView Post

Andrew Scheer has the answer for this.
More bag licking.

It works so well for you...

I think you meant "liking" there, non?
 
Curious Cdn
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by DanbonesView Post

Yeah, it's our gaza.

You know...the global war ming climate.

It's our Territorial Waters. We have ships being built now to "occupy" them.

http://shipsforcanada.ca/our-progress
 
taxslave
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by HoidView Post

Andrew Scheer has the answer for this.
More bag licking.

TrudOWE has left no bags unlicked.
 
Danbones
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

It's our Territorial Waters. We have ships being built now to "occupy" them.
http://shipsforcanada.ca/our-progress

Even some nice Innuit with some nice kayaks and some nice rifles would be some nice.
 
taxslave
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

A North West Passage path will be found and it will be international. Sucks but that's the most likely scenario

There already is one and we use it steady when there is no ice. Which is only about 4 months of the year. AS long as we are firm about it being ours it will remain part of Canada. The only time there is a problem is when there is a weakling dipshit trudOWE in power that believes in one world government and will give the country away for a pretty dress.
 
Danbones
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

TrudOWE has left no bags unlicked.

He certainly seems to have a thing for oddly colored socks too
 
Jinentonix
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by HoidView Post

Andrew Scheer has the answer for this.
More bag licking.

And when it comes to licking bags, you're the expert. Does Groper's nut sac even have time to dry off between sessions of you sucking on it?
 
coldstream
#15
The old Monroe Doctrine still informs American policy with respect to the Americas as does the concept of Manifest Destiny.

Essentially despite all of the patter about nationalism and sovereignty of the Trump Administration the American attitude of towards Latin America is one of paternal benefactor and 'protector' against aggressive and acquisitive 'global' forces. It's attitude towards Canada has always been a 'Big Brother' and the Canadian nation as interim state preliminary to its inevitable absorption into the United States of North America.

That all has a name. It's called the Pax Americana and it is an Imperial Doctrine which views all nations within the Americas as subservient to its Sphere of Influence and as subordinate colonies with respect to its economic interests.

Canada needs an aggressive and assertive stance on its sovereignty. One that Justin Trudeau, this Citizen of the World, who views Canada as an anachronism; an illegitimate product of white, male, Christian, colonialism; is simply incapable of providing. He's already given up on a sovereign, economically independent, nation state with a clear cultural identity and history.

We're stuck with an effeminate, emotionally submissive loser under the whip of the feminist, homosexual, post national, laissez-faire covens and cults, the Cultures of Death, that control the Liberal Party.
 
Hoid
#16
It just always comes down to the gay thing.

Get some help dude.
 
coldstream
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by HoidView Post

It just always comes down to the gay thing.

It is the flagship cause of the forces corroding the Canadian nation state. We've forgotten the lessons of history. The rise homosexual, anti-family, anti-religious attitudes always presage an oncoming existential crisis. The entirety of Western Civilization is facing such. And what is on the horizon is like nothing it has faced before.
 
Hoid
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

It is the flagship cause of the forces corroding the Canadian nation state. We've forgotten the lessons of history. The rise homosexual, anti-family, anti-religious attitudes always presage an oncoming existential crisis. The entirety of Western Civilization is facing such. And what is on the horizon is like nothing it has faced before.

It's the flagship rent free tenant in your head without any doubt
 
coldstream
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by HoidView Post

It's the flagship rent free tenant in your head without any doubt


Homosexuality as a compulsive disorder in the individual is simply a tragedy. As an organized aggressive ideology it is a threat to reason and order.
 
Hoid
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Homosexuality as a compulsive disorder in the individual is simply a tragedy. As an organized aggressive ideology it is a threat to reason and order.

You talk about homosexuality compulsively.

Did you ever notice that?

Because everyone else has.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Pompeo says Canada's claim to the Northwest Passage is 'illegitimate'

Y'all shoulda seen that coming when Deranged Donald declared Canada a threat to U.S. national security.
 
Curious Cdn
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

The old Monroe Doctrine still informs American policy with respect to the Americas as does the concept of Manifest Destiny.
Essentially despite all of the patter about nationalism and sovereignty of the Trump Administration the American attitude of towards Latin America is one of paternal benefactor and 'protector' against aggressive and acquisitive 'global' forces. It's attitude towards Canada has always been a 'Big Brother' and the Canadian nation as interim state preliminary to its inevitable absorption into the United States of North America.
That all has a name. It's called the Pax Americana and it is an Imperial Doctrine which views all nations within the Americas as subservient to its Sphere of Influence and as subordinate colonies with respect to its economic interests.
Canada needs an aggressive and assertive stance on its sovereignty. One that Justin Trudeau, this Citizen of the World, who views Canada as an anachronism; an illegitimate product of white, male, Christian, colonialism; is simply incapable of providing. He's already given up on a sovereign, economically independent, nation state with a clear cultural identity and history.
We're stuck with an effeminate, emotionally submissive loser under the whip of the feminist, homosexual, post national, laissez-faire covens and cults, the Cultures of Death, that control the Liberal Party.

"The ole Monroe Doctrine " says that the exceptional Americans can do whatever the hell they want to whomever, wherever they want.

That may work for you wherever you come from but not in my country.
 
White_Unifier
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Homosexuality as a compulsive disorder in the individual is simply a tragedy. As an organized aggressive ideology it is a threat to reason and order.

I don't condone homosexual acts, but you do realize don't you that heterosexual fornication probably contributes even more to the spread of STIs; the occurrence of sexual coercion, assault, and even rape and their accompanying trauma and addictions; and to single-parenthood?
Last edited by White_Unifier; 1 week ago at 06:41 PM..
 
Curious Cdn
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by White_UnifierView Post

I don't condone homosexual acts, but you do realize don't you that heterosexual fornication probably contributes just as much to the spread of STIs, the occurrence of sexual coercion, assault, and even rape and their accompanying mental trauma and addictions, and to single-parenthood?

Pompeo does that?

I can't say I'm surprised.
 
White_Unifier
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Pompeo does that?
I can't say I'm surprised.

I don't know if he does or not.
 
Curious Cdn
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by White_UnifierView Post

I don't know if he does or not.

Waddya say, Coldstream?

Run into Pompeo in a Turkish Bath?
 
White_Unifier
#27
And Coldstream, which poses the greatest threat to public health between a homosexual in a committed relationship and a promiscuous heterosexual?
 
Curious Cdn
#28
a promiscuous heterosexual?

Like Donald Trump? ... the serial adulterer?

You won't get the dose from a porn star ... No, no, no!
 
White_Unifier
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

a promiscuous heterosexual?
Like Donald Trump? ... the serial adulterer?
You won't get the dose from a porn star ... No, no, no!

I hope for his wife's sake that he got all his shots and blood tests. Who knows what's swimming through that womanizing adulterer's veins.
 
Cannuck
#30
I doubt she even touches him