US man who chopped off his own penis and testicles to become a 'nullo' says he enjoys intimacy more than ever
- Trent Gates, a 23-year-old from Washington D.C., removed his testicles in a DIY surgical procedure performed in his own apartment in April 2016
- In January 2017, in a North Carolina motel room, he performed a similar surgery to remove his penis - both times he used only painkillers and a ceramic knife
- Both extreme body modification surgeries allowed Gates to become a 'nullo' - a subculture, typically consisting of men who have removed their sexual organs
- Gates, an IT worker, says he did the surgery to tackle his crippling depression
- Explaining why he felt compelled to do the surgery, Gates said he always felt somewhere between man and woman - 'an androgynous in-between'
- He said his boyfriend accepts his modified genitalia, although he admits he did not tell his parents about his plans until after the surgeries were complete
- Despite the radical procedure, Gates said that his sex life has never been better