Loonie commemorating gay rights sparks backlash


spaminator
#1
Loonie commemorating gay rights sparks backlash
Kevin Connor
Published:
April 23, 2019
Updated:
April 23, 2019 9:03 PM EDT
The Royal Canadian Mint is unveiling a new commemorative loonie today, shown in a handout photo, meant to mark what it calls a key milestone for lesbian, gay, transgender, queer and two-spirited people in the country. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Royal Canadian Mint MANDATORY CREDIT ORG XMIT: CPT117
There are LGTBQ2 activists who say the new one dollar coin commemorates a myth that gay rights have reached equality in Canadian society.
Released by the Royal Canadian Mint on Tuesday, the Loonie shows two overlapping faces and the dates 1969 and 2019 — meant to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the decriminalization of homosexuality.
While its intention was to symbolize gay rights, it has instead sparked a backlash in segments of the LGBTQ2 community.
Critics say the decriminalization of gay sex for those over the age of 21 was dressing as gay relations, and say those in the community were still targeted by the police and courts — including the gay bath house raids which went on until the 1980s.
Historian Tom Hooper from York University, a member of the Anti-69 movement opposed to the new coin, says decriminalization didn’t stop gay persecution.
Story continues below
The laws still contained exception clauses to the offences of gross indecency and buggery that were not repealed, allowing gays to still be targeted.
Legalizing gay marriage: Canada and U.S. take very different paths
Trudeau apologizes to LGBTQ2 on behalf of Canada for past discrimination
FATAH: India takes giant leap for mankind by decriminalizing homosexuality
“No provisions related to homosexuality were removed from the Criminal Code in 1969,” Hooper said.
“This merely recognized the obvious — the state did not have the resources to police the bedrooms of the nation.”
Things actually got worse after 1969, says Anti-69 organizer and historian Gary Kinsman.
“Rather than people being able to love who they wanted to love, charges for consensual homosexual sex dramatically escalated after the 1969 reform,” Kinsman said.
“Those under a discriminatory age of consent set at 21 remained criminalized. These included not only gross indecency but many other provisions in the Criminal Code, including indecent acts, vagrancy, obscenity and bawdy houses.”
Long-time gay advocate and activist Rev. Brent Hawkes is best friends with Anti-69 organizers and couldn’t disagree with them more, saying “both sides of the coin has an important truth.”
While being gay was indeed decriminalized, he said — it wasn’t legitimized.
“It was just one piece along the way but not a big hug for the gay community. The rights struggle existed before 69 and we aren’t there yet. This (coin) does recognize 50 years of progress and activism and that is worthy,” Hawkes said.
“Still, it was a narrow but symbolic change.”

http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...parks-backlash
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#2
That's the goofiest damned thing ...

How about a Toonie celebrating Bi-sexuslity?
 
DaSleeper
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
June 21, 1969.......the year I got married....to a woman
Celebrating my heterosexuality....


Time flies...........
 
Curious Cdn
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

June 21, 1969.......the year I got married....to a woman
Celebrating my heterosexuality....
Time flies...........

A dollar was really worth something back then.
 
Danbones
#5
$ 1.00 in 1914...would cost: $22.57 in 2019

$1.00 in 1969...would cost: $7.02 in 2019

Not too good at history or math are you?


What they have in mind is that enough gay loonies in your track pants pockets might pull them right off, and you will be LEFT standing there balls nekkid.
 
taxslave
+2
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

That's the goofiest damned thing ...
How about a Toonie celebrating Bi-sexuslity?

WHat do you think the B in that alphebet soup stands for?
 
taxslave
+3
#7
This is just more trudOWE virtue signaling. And it discriminates against hetrosexuals.
 
Cannuck
#8
*hug*
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

This is just more trudOWE virtue signaling. And it discriminates against hetrosexuals.

When was heterosexuality illegal in Canada?
 
Walter
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

Loonie commemorating gay rights sparks backlash
Kevin Connor
Published:
April 23, 2019
Updated:
April 23, 2019 9:03 PM EDT
The Royal Canadian Mint is unveiling a new commemorative loonie today, shown in a handout photo, meant to mark what it calls a key milestone for lesbian, gay, transgender, queer and two-spirited people in the country. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO-Royal Canadian Mint MANDATORY CREDIT ORG XMIT: CPT117
There are LGTBQ2 activists who say the new one dollar coin commemorates a myth that gay rights have reached equality in Canadian society.
Released by the Royal Canadian Mint on Tuesday, the Loonie shows two overlapping faces and the dates 1969 and 2019 — meant to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the decriminalization of homosexuality.
While its intention was to symbolize gay rights, it has instead sparked a backlash in segments of the LGBTQ2 community.
Critics say the decriminalization of gay sex for those over the age of 21 was dressing as gay relations, and say those in the community were still targeted by the police and courts — including the gay bath house raids which went on until the 1980s.
Historian Tom Hooper from York University, a member of the Anti-69 movement opposed to the new coin, says decriminalization didn’t stop gay persecution.
Story continues below
The laws still contained exception clauses to the offences of gross indecency and buggery that were not repealed, allowing gays to still be targeted.
Legalizing gay marriage: Canada and U.S. take very different paths
Trudeau apologizes to LGBTQ2 on behalf of Canada for past discrimination
FATAH: India takes giant leap for mankind by decriminalizing homosexuality
“No provisions related to homosexuality were removed from the Criminal Code in 1969,” Hooper said.
“This merely recognized the obvious — the state did not have the resources to police the bedrooms of the nation.”
Things actually got worse after 1969, says Anti-69 organizer and historian Gary Kinsman.
“Rather than people being able to love who they wanted to love, charges for consensual homosexual sex dramatically escalated after the 1969 reform,” Kinsman said.
“Those under a discriminatory age of consent set at 21 remained criminalized. These included not only gross indecency but many other provisions in the Criminal Code, including indecent acts, vagrancy, obscenity and bawdy houses.”
Long-time gay advocate and activist Rev. Brent Hawkes is best friends with Anti-69 organizers and couldn’t disagree with them more, saying “both sides of the coin has an important truth.”
While being gay was indeed decriminalized, he said — it wasn’t legitimized.
“It was just one piece along the way but not a big hug for the gay community. The rights struggle existed before 69 and we aren’t there yet. This (coin) does recognize 50 years of progress and activism and that is worthy,” Hawkes said.
“Still, it was a narrow but symbolic change.”

http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...parks-backlash

What a bullshit story.
 
spaminator
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

What a bullshit story.

you are correct. homosexuals are a myth.
 
Danbones
+1 / -1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

When was heterosexuality illegal in Canada?

In the christian world you'll burn in hell if you have any out of wedlock.
 
Danbones
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

you are correct. homosexuals are a myth.

That's crazy mythter.
 
Danbones
-1
#14
Then there is walter...whose thumbs are burning in hell as we speak.

Haha.

"Thou shalt not judge"...every teacher who ever marked a paper is doomed too it looks like.
 
Curious Cdn
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

"Thou shalt not judge"...every teacher who ever marked a paper is doomed too it looks like.

http://youtu.be/3xYXUeSmb-Y
 
Curious Cdn
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

When was heterosexuality illegal in Canada?

It is now.

Sunnier ways.

We have to pleasure our women in hiding. No more elevators.
 
White_Unifier
+1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

That's the goofiest damned thing ...
How about a Toonie celebrating Bi-sexuslity?

Just to cover all bases, why not a bill that celebrates anything-goes sex parties. Put it on the 20$ bill, the most common one in ATMs presenting every imaginable sex position. We wouldn't want to leave anyone out.
Last edited by White_Unifier; Apr 24th, 2019 at 08:42 PM..
 
White_Unifier
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

It is now.
Sunnier ways.
We have to pleasure our women in hiding. No more elevators.

We've always had to pleasure our women in hiding, and rightly so.

Now if everyone did it. A public park is not intended for the purpose.
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

We've always had to pleasure our women in hiding, and rightly so.
Now if everyone did it. A public park is not intended for the purpose.

NOW he tells us!
 
taxslave
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

When was heterosexuality illegal in Canada?

If I remember right up into the 1960s if you were not churched.
 
taxslave
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Just to cover all bases, why not a bill that selebrates anything-goes sex parties. Put it on the 20$ bill, the most common one in ATMs presenting every imaginable sex position. We wouldn't want to leave anyone out.

Karma Sutra at the ATM
 
Curious Cdn
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Karma Sutra at the ATM

Every time you shell out fir that GST, you will be truly screwed.
 
White_Unifier
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Every time you shell out fir that GST, you will be truly screwed.

The bill will show how much so in graphic detail cause it's 2019!
 
B00Mer
+1
#24
Only in Trudeau's world.. told you the guy wears a thong and is a secret homosexual.

www.JustinTrudeauSucks.com - remember you heard it here first.




Someone is pushing up Trudeau's shit with a roll on loonies.
 
White_Unifier
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Only in Trudeau's world.. told you the guy wears a thong and is a secret homosexual.
www.JustinTrudeauSucks.com - remember you heard it here first.

Someone is pushing up Trudeau's shit with a roll on loonies.

I don't believe he's a homosexual. I think rather that he just shallowly sucks up pop culture like a sponge and and then squeezes it on top of the rest of us. Promoting homosexuality is the cool, hip, and trendy thing to do so I'm not surprised. Metrosexual's gotta stay on top of fashion eh.
 
Cannuck
#26
This has been a terrible week for Trumpites!

*group hug*
 
White_Unifier
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

This has been a terrible week for Trumpites!
*group hug*

I'm a Trumpite now?
 
B00Mer
+3
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

This has been a terrible week for Trumpites!
*group hug*

...and even worse week for you and Liberals losing Alberta & PEI to Conservatives..

*hug*
 
White_Unifier
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

...and even worse week for you and Liberals losing Alberta & PEI to Conservatives..
*hug*

Er... you're confusing federal and provincial politics now. The coin is federal.
 
Curious Cdn
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Er... you're confusing federal and provincial politics now. The coin is federal.

P.E.I. would mint a "Mr. Potato Head" Looney.