Bradley Manning is now Chelsea ok...


Locutus
#1
(CNN) -- WikiLeaks source Bradley Manning intends to begin hormone therapy for gender reassignment and live the rest of his life as a woman, according to a statement from him read on NBC's "Today" show Thursday.


Manning wants to be referred to as Chelsea -- not Bradley -- according to the statement.


Manning's announcement comes a day after a military judge sentenced him to 35 years in prison for leaking hundreds of thousands of U.S. military and diplomatic documents.


Manning, 25, was convicted in July of stealing 750,000 pages of classified documents and videos and disseminating them to WikiLeaks, the online anti-secrecy group. Lind also reduced his rank from private first class to private, ordered him to forfeit pay and benefits and be dishonorably discharged.


Bradley Manning wants to live as a woman, be known as Chelsea - CNN.com
 
Walter
+1
#2
The boys in the hoosegow will like to have a Chelsea living with them.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

The boys in the hoosegow will like to have a Chelsea living with them.

I guess he figures he will take the next 35 years taking d-ick might as well be as a woman.
 
karrie
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I guess he figures he will take the next 35 years taking d-ick might as well be as a woman.

What prison system does a registered MtF get placed in?
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

What prison system does a registered MtF get placed in?

Legally probably a woman's prison but I don't know how comfortable I would be if I was a woman with a MtF being my cellmate.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

What prison system does a registered MtF get placed in?

In the military system, he'll be placed in the men's prison, and if he thinks he's going to get hormone therapy, he's round the twist.
 
Colpy
+1
#7
(face palm)
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

(face palm)



 
karrie
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

In the military system, he'll be placed in the men's prison, and if he thinks he's going to get hormone therapy, he's round the twist.


They cant deny medical care, or necessary psychiatric care, and this will stand as requiring both
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

They cant deny medical care, or necessary psychiatric care, and this will stand as requiring both

That may be true in Canada. I'm not going to fight with you over it. Here's a pretty good article on the subject:

Beginning gender change in prison is a long shot - NBC News.com
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

They cant deny medical care, or necessary psychiatric care, and this will stand as requiring both

The key word is necessary I think. Becoming a woman is not necessary. If it was he would have done it prior to his prison sentence.
 
EagleSmack
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

What prison system does a registered MtF get placed in?

He'd be welcomed here in Massachusetts!

A judge ordered the state to allow a prisoner (convicted wife killer) to go forward with his sex change.

However, the guy started treatment before his conviction and the law states that the state must pick up the tab and continue medical treatments for people incarcerated.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/04/health...surgery-inmate


Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

In the military system, he'll be placed in the men's prison, and if he thinks he's going to get hormone therapy, he's round the twist.

Right... he can't expect to all of a sudden say he wants to be a woman. Regardless of what he wants to be or even wanted to be. He wasn't going through the process before.

Buckle your helmet Bradley... you're of to men's prison.
 
Colpy
#13

Manning is a little late for to get a Section Eight.

(poetry, no less)

(and lousy grammar)
 
Locutus
#14
 
EagleSmack
#15
He looks like Michael Jackson there
 
WLDB
+2
#16
Meh. If I was looking at 35 years in a military Id probably want to change sexes to get a transfer too.
 
EagleSmack
+1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDB View Post

Meh. If I was looking at 35 years in a military Id probably want to change sexes to get a transfer too.

This cracked me up for real
 
Locutus
#18
Media torn in Manning 'he' or 'she' pronoun debate

Media torn in Manning 'he' or 'she' pronoun debate


'torn'.


Gmafb


Medieval monks used to argue how many angels could dance on the head of a pin...


https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods/s...72185201147904
 
karrie
+1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

The key word is necessary I think. Becoming a woman is not necessary. If it was he would have done it prior to his prison sentence.


You don't think being transgendered necessitates psychiatric care?

Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Right... he can't expect to all of a sudden say he wants to be a woman. Regardless of what he wants to be or even wanted to be. He wasn't going through the process before.

Buckle your helmet Bradley... you're of to men's prison.

According to the articles I've read, he had been talking about this issue with the military already, which means it's not 'all of a sudden'.
 
Goober
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

(face palm)

If I recall correctly his Platoon Officer in Iraq was aware of this.
 
EagleSmack
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post



According to the articles I've read, he had been talking about this issue with the military already, which means it's not 'all of a sudden'.

When he got jailed?

I seriously doubt he was asking to be a woman before he sent all that info to wikileaks.

I don't see it here...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...97J0JI20130822
 
Goober
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

When he got jailed?

I seriously doubt he was asking to be a woman before he sent all that info to wikileaks.

Yes he was in that process.
 
EagleSmack
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Yes he was in that process.

Can you show me a link that says that? I've been looking.

Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Yes he was in that process.

This is his quote from today...

"I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible."

So what process was started exactly?
 
Goober
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

Can you show me a link that says that? I've been looking.



This is his quote from today...

"I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible."

So what process was started exactly?

Read that years ago. When I have a chance I will look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Manning
Deployment to Iraq, discussion with counselor

After four weeks at the Joint Readiness Training Center (JRTC) in Fort Polk, Louisiana, she was deployed to Forward Operating Base Hammer, near Baghdad, arriving in October 2009. From her workstation there, she had access to SIPRNet (the Secure Internet Protocol Router Network) and JWICS (the Joint Worldwide Intelligence Communications System). Two of her superiors had discussed not taking her to Iraq – it was felt she was "a risk to himself and possibly others," according to a statement later issued by the army – but again the shortage of intelligence analysts held sway.[32]

A month later, in November 2009, she was promoted from Private First Class to Specialist. According to her chats with Adrian Lamo, she made her first contact with WikiLeaks that same month, shortly after it posted 570,000 pager messages from the 9/11 attacks, which it released on November 25.[33] Also in November, Manning wrote to a gender counselor in the United States, said she felt female, and discussed having sex reassignment surgery. The counselor told Steve Fishman of New York Magazine that it was clear Manning was in crisis, partly because of her gender concerns, but also because she was opposed to the kind of war in which she found herself involved.[34]

She was by all accounts unhappy and isolated. Because of the army's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy (known as DADT, which was repealed in September 2011), she was not allowed to be openly gay, though she apparently made no secret of it. When she told her roommate she was gay, the roommate responded by suggesting they not speak to each other. Her working conditions – 14–15 hour night shifts in a dimly lit secure room – did not help her emotional well being.[35] On December 20, 2009, after being told she would lose her one day off a week for persistent lateness, she overturned a table in a conference room, damaging a computer that was sitting on it, before other soldiers pinned her arms behind her back. Several witnesses to the incident believed her access to sensitive material ought to have been withdrawn at that point. The following month she began posting on Facebook that she felt alone and hopeless.[36]
 
EagleSmack
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Read that years ago. When I have a chance I will look.

He just said it today.

I'm sorry Goobs... he didn't start any treatment and where he is going it isn't offered.

Manning Wants To Live As A Woman Named Chelsea : NPR

That's from NPR... it doesn't get much liberal.

Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Also in November, Manning wrote to a gender counselor in the United States, said she felt female, and discussed having sex reassignment surgery. The counselor told Steve Fishman of New York Magazine that it was clear Manning was in crisis, partly because of her gender concerns, but also because ......

So this is the closest he got to the process... a letter to a counselor.

That pig ain't going to fly!
 
Goober
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

He just said it today.

I'm sorry Goobs... he didn't start any treatment and where he is going it isn't offered.

Manning Wants To Live As A Woman Named Chelsea : NPR

That's from NPR... it doesn't get much liberal.

No he was like many- caught in between. Does the US Military offer gender reassignment, counseling and surgery if the requirements are met.

The Canadian Military does due to the fact that when a certain number of Provinces offer this the Military is required to also offer it.

In 99, my base was tasked with Kosovo, and 2 tours concurrent to Bosnia. If you had a heartbeat you were going.
The quality line for deployment sucked big time.
What we took with us was scary.

I retired at the end of my tour,came home, did the 30 day +1 plan out the door plan, went back and over the next 3 years I can tell you there were troops there that I would not trust with a butter knife.
And as I was one of the few that was out and around with Soldiers assigned, if the shxt hit, I was taking their rifle and looking after things as they could not.

The US Military was in the same position.
 
BaalsTears
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

Total babe...will make a great wife.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#28
The lesson here is that...

Good grief this story took a weird turn.
 
karrie
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmack View Post

When he got jailed?

I seriously doubt he was asking to be a woman before he sent all that info to wikileaks.

I don't see it here...

Bradley Manning wants to live as a woman named Chelsea | Reuters

T-Bone's article says he e-mailed the pic of himself to his military counselor, and expressed hope that military service would rid him of orientation. That doesn't read as something he managed after arrest, or would express after his arrest.
 
Christianna
+1
#30
He just made his 35 years even tougher than they would have been. We are talking about a military type prison, and he will remain a male until such time as he is released.