A new Royal Baby is born!!

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

There are many ancient native British names hardly used in America but are common in Britain: Arwen, Owain, Lowri, Bryn, Ffion, Laith.
Other British names rate in North America: Isobel, Jemima, Lottie, Angus, Archibald, Barnie, Baxter, Barnaby, Clayton, Bailey, Edwin, Harvey, Fergus, Kit, Rupert, Percy.

My son has an ancient Gaelic name and my daughter has an ancient Briton (Cymru) name, as per our ethnic heritage (not from the list above, though).

Cedric is also unknown here as is Nigel, Dinsdale and dozens of others.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/...say/ar-AABfWoG

Blackleaf
"Nigel" comes from the Latin "Nigellus", which means "Champion" which, coincidentally, is what Farage is going to be on 24th May.

Curious Cdn

"Nigel" comes from the Latin "Nigellus", which means "Champion" which, coincidentally, is what Farage is going to be on 24th May.

"Farange" looks French, to me.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

"Farange" looks French, to me.

The name Farage is either of French Huguenot origin - lots of them fled to England - or it derives from the English name Farridge.

Nigel himself is of German, and possibly French Huguenot, ancestry.

Nikolaus Schrod, Mr Farage’s great-great grandfather, was a young cabinet-maker in Frankfurt. He married his sweetheart Bina at 21, but before starting a family he decided his shaky prospects would be much improved by moving to England, which he did so in the 1850s.

Nikolaus Schrod made the cases for the pianos, upright and grand, which were becoming a must-have status symbol in every fashionable drawing-room, while Bina brought in extra money as a needlewoman and dressmaker.

They lived in rented rooms in the teeming tenements close to London's heart – close enough to the rich who employed them, but a world away.

Nicholas and Bina's only child, Carl, left school at 14 to become a telegraph messenger with the General Post Office. Carl later changed his name to Charles and married an English girl, Ellen Abbott. They lived on London's Tottenham Court Road.

The Anglicisation of the family was completed in the next generation when their daughter Gladys married a young stockbroker’s clerk, Harry Farage.

Curious Cdn
I have Huguenot ancestry myself ... Secord ... which is a famous name in Canadian history. As per most pioneering families, it enters my family repeatedly over the generations!

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I have Huguenot ancestry myself ... Secord ... which is a famous name in Canadian history. As per most pioneering families, it enters my family repeatedly over the generations!

The Secords were Loyalists during the American War of Independence.

Curious Cdn

The Secords were Loyalists during the American War of Independence.

They were also that. I can brag that my Secord ancestor fought for there public during the War of Independence but fought for the King during the War of 1812, after he could see that the Revolution was going sideways.