I don't like the Canadian national anthem

damngrumpy
+1
For the most part our anthem has stood the test of time and many people who did a lot of
brave things that I could never do, took a lot of pride in singing our national song.
It represents for the most part the essence of Canada. I don't like it when they tinker with
it either putting in the lyrics about God Keep Our Land and that sort of stuff. Its not that I
can't live with change, its just that change was not really warranted here, and it was done
for cosmetic reasons. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

coldstream
+2
Frankly i think with some lyrical adjustments, The Maple Leaf Forever, is a more flexible tune.. and older than O Canada.

Frankly any change now though would see the Politically Correct fanatics emerge with their demands of an utterly insipid, neutered, and 'faith free' version of anything.. like their demands that O Canada remove "in thy son's command".. and "God save our land"

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

YouTube - O Canada

Bah it's a lovely ditty.

Oh man that brings back memories of waking up really early.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I don't understand the need for them...especially at hockey games or other sporting events.

There were several thousand Cannuck fans in Roger's Arena last night who just might differ with that opinion.

eskavan
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

Frankly i think with some lyrical adjustments, The Maple Leaf Forever, is a more flexible tune.. and older than O Canada.

Agreed. Why not just take the third verse of the Maple Leaf Forever and tweak it a little? It's the most beautiful and the least outdated as well. O Canada is officially just one verse anyway. But really any lyrics are better than O Canada in my view, because at least the tune from the Maple Leaf Forever is very goo das well as being more versatile...it's very heartfelt when played slow and equal triumphant and bombastic when played as a march. O Canada really only works loud and bombastic.

Quote:

Frankly any change now though would see the Politically Correct fanatics emerge with their demands of an utterly insipid, neutered, and 'faith free' version of anything.. like their demands that O Canada remove "in thy son's command".. and "God save our land"

Which is exactly why I'm not suggesting a change, though as I said I honestly feel it would be an improvement.

As for the proposed changes to "O Canada", I really wouldn't care either way since I'm meh about the whole anthem to begin with. I'm not religious and I'm not offended by "God keep our land". It's a figure of speech to me, like God Save the Queen to many atheist monarchists. Makes no difference to me (though even as a kid I though "in all thy sons command" was rather awkward grammatically. On the other hand, "our home and cherished land", a proposed change to the anthem, just sounds weak).

Funny that before people started tampering with the lyrics in the first place the English version of O Canada was gender neutral and contained no references to God:

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love thou dost in us command.
We see thee rising fair, dear land,
The True North, strong and free;
And stand on guard, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
O Canada! O Canada!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

Repetitive, sure (which is, I gather, why they changed it). But not "politically incorrect" in the slightest. Ironic, isn't it?

Mathiew
Quote: Originally Posted by eskavan View Post

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike it or anything. And there are worse anthems out there. But personally (and this is just my personal, subjective, artistic taste...your mileage may vary) I think it is kind of bland and generic. As a piece of music it doesn't do too much for me, and the lyrics are perfectly "meh" (though I think the French lyrics are a bit better). I am filled with patriotic pride when it is sung at a sports match, but that is because it is the anthem of my country, not because I like it as a piece of music. I love the tune of "The Maple Leaf Forever", but it is outdated and doesn't represent Canada today...it has more do do with Britain than anything else. So I don't know what else to suggest as an anthem.

Any thoughts? Do you like the anthem as a piece of music, or just because it represents Canada?

PS. I'm not seriously suggesting a change or anything...just want peoples' opinion, whether you agree or disagree.

Like the song, especially when we compare it to the other one. I just see the U.S one as good as our.

petros
+2
I don't like people.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I don't like people.

It shows.

petros
Perfect!

Goober
Time to move to a place with an anthem that rouses your spirit - Though they may not have the same laws, protections, economy, living standards, freedom that we have. Though you could balance that off by playing your new National Anthem.

Humor aside as the above is meant to be, and not insulting.
Most National Anthems are old as they were written some time ago, so what. Tradition. Do you recall the debate over changing the Flag?

eskavan
Quote: Originally Posted by Goober View Post

Time to move to a place with an anthem that rouses your spirit - Though they may not have the same laws, protections, economy, living standards, freedom that we have. Though you could balance that off by playing your new National Anthem.

Humor aside as the above is meant to be, and not insulting.
Most National Anthems are old as they were written some time ago, so what. Tradition. Do you recall the debate over changing the Flag?

Yup, and again that's exactly why I don't actually feel the anthem should be changed, just that, artistically speaking (and only artistically speaking) it could be a lot better.

mentalfloss
We'd be much better off if our anthem was the TMNT theme.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

We'd be much better off if our anthem was the TMNT theme.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

gopher
+2
Canadian National Anthem is beautiful!

Kreskin
+1
Leave our national hockey war cry as is, I say!

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

I've always liked The Maple Leaf Forever, we used to sing it in school after God Save the Queen. I think of it as being the back-up to Oh Canada........kind of like God Bless America is back-up for the Star Spangled Banner.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Leave our national hockey war cry as is, I say!

You betcha, Kreskin. Nothing sends shivers down my spine faster then hearing the Vancouver Canucks fans belting out our national anthem no matter what stadium they find themselves in. LOL! Heck, I get goose bumps just thinking about listening to them tonight.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mathiew View Post

Like the song, especially when we compare it to the other one. I just see the U.S one as good as our.

After listening to both the US and Canadian anthems countless times during the NHL play-offs, I have come to the conclusion that both anthems reflect their countries ideals pretty well. The U.S. anthem is about bombs and rockets and light shows. The Canadian anthem is about love for our land - our country. It is the land that inspires us Canadians. It is the flag and fighting for it that inspires Americans. IMHO.

gopher
+2
How can anyone deny that this is beautiful???

YouTube - ‪1977 wjc roget doucet 'O Canada'‬‏

I remember watching Doucet sing during NHL games in the 60s and 70s. It was awesome!

gopher
+1
As all of you know, nobody loves professional wrestling more than I do. My favorite faction (group of ''bad guys'') was the New World Order (nWo). At one time they gave a loving tribute to the Canadian National Anthem:

YouTube - ‪nWo sings "O Canada" - 11/10/97‬‏

Their tribute begins at approximately 7:30.

Gilgamesh
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

I don't understand the need for them...especially at hockey games or other sporting events.

Well, I don't feel the need for HNIC either.

NZDoug
How about this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuVs...ature=youtu.be