Britain's population could hit 70 million in 50 just years.

Blackleaf
Britain's population could grow by 10 million or so within just 50 years due to immigration.
-------------------------------------

Population 'could hit 70m unless we get a grip on immigration'
12th July 2006

Britain's population is 60 million, twice that of Canada.

Britain's population could hit 70million in less than 50 years because of an 'incoherent' immigration policy, ministers were warned yesterday.

Government adviser Lord Turner painted a stark picture of the potential impact on housing, employment and traffic congestion.

He said the South East would be hardest hit by such a surge. The current population is around 60million and a 10million increase would be 4million more than previously estimated.

Lord Turner said ministers could not decide between attacking the Tories for playing the 'racist card' on immigration and launching a crackdown on illegal migrants.

He said: 'What always amazes me is we have piecemeal discussions which never consider: would you prefer a population of 60 or 70million? It is an area that

Warning: Lord Turner depresses me. The Government itself varies between attacking the Tories for trying to play racist cards and suddenly swinging round on a sixpence to be as nasty and tight as it can towards asylum seekers. There is an incoherence about the debate.'

The extraordinary intervention by Lord Turner - who examined demographic changes when he

headed the Government's Pensions Commission - is the latest from a senior figure on the failure of immigration policy.

Last month former minister Frank Field said Britain was suffering from an unprecedented influx of migrant workers and that MPs were living on borrowed time on the issue.

Lord Turner said the population would rise from 60million to 66million by the year 2050. But he predicted that if immigration went unchecked, the real figure would be 70million.

The former chairman of the Low Pay Commission said that selective skilled immigration was justified to help boost the economy and help fund pensions for the current workforce through increased tax payments.

But he warned that high levels of unskilled workers entering the country may have a short-term benefit but would ultimately damage the economy.

Lord Turner said: 'The undoubted winners from immigration are immigrants. High levels of immigration of unskilled people will be good for higher income people who will buy their

coffees and their haircuts at a slightly lower price.

'The economic disbenefits are that high levels of unskilled immigration are bad for unskilled workers and I think to deny that is nonsense - it just flies in the face of all economic theory.

'We were aware on the Low Pay Commission that if immigration continues at high levels that could limit our ability to increase the minimum wage.

'On the other hand, the best form of immigration policy for our economy is almost certainly selective skilled immigration, but that has an ethical issue about cream-skimming the skills of underdeveloped countries.'

His comments follow those of Mr Field, who said anyone who questioned mass immigration was accused of 'playing the race card', which was just 'another way of closing down debate'.

dailymail.co.uk

Mogz
Conservative
We're all thinking it, so i'll say it. Who cares?

Daz_Hockey
Think about it though Mogz.....I'm English, I was shocked by the open spaces in the states, and to realise there are more people living in a country the size of oregon than the whole population of a country second largest in landmass in the world...now thats shocking.......It's hardly India though

SaintLucifer
Quote: Originally Posted by Mogz

Easy for you to say. Your province alone is far larger than all of Great Britain. I would suggest Britons absolutely stop allowing immigrants into their country. They do not have room for anymore and besides the country belongs to Anglo-Saxons. Great Britain has always been, is and should always be an Anglo-Saxon homeland. As such they should remove all non Anglo-Saxons. A tiny island nation like that cannot take in the world's garbage.

Daz_Hockey
Quote: Originally Posted by SaintLucifer

Easy for you to say. Your province alone is far larger than all of Great Britain. I would suggest Britons absolutely stop allowing immigrants into their country. They do not have room for anymore and besides the country belongs to Anglo-Saxons. Great Britain has always been, is and should always be an Anglo-Saxon homeland. As such they should remove all non Anglo-Saxons. A tiny island nation like that cannot take in the world's garbage.

You utter those words in the UK and you'll be swiftly arrested I'm afraid....it is purely ecconomical and space reason I am against further immigration, I couldnt care if my neighbour was pink with yellow dots, but the island is packed already

LittleRunningGag
Free Thinker

Might I ask why?

Mogz
Conservative
Hehehe I love stirring the pot.....

tamarin
Conservative
[quote]:"The former chairman of the Low Pay Commission said that selective skilled immigration was justified to help boost the economy and help fund pensions for the current workforce through increased tax payments."

Gosh, do they all read from the same comic book? Canadian immigration ministers have been spouting this bilge for years. These buggers all attend the same friggin' international conferences and go home and regurgitate.
The problem with immigration here is that pressure from the immigration lobby inevitably upsets the apple cart. We have officially stated 60% of our immigration is to come from 'skilled workers.' Yet, where the hell are they? We can't see to budge the figure much beyond 23%. All the rest are family reunification and refugees. I doubt it's much different in Britain.
As long as the door is open, the immigration mavens can buy their cottages and fancy holidays. They don't care if official policy ain't workin'.
If you need to fund all these old duffers maybe we should be a little more creative and encourage the wrinklemeisters themselves to work longer. Maybe we should be more supportive of a social climate that sustains families and encourages them to take a greater interest in their extended members. Canada can't seem to decide what the hell it supports when it comes to the viability of the traditional family.
It's a mess and using immigration as a sop to clean it up only guarantees further problems for the future.

SaintLucifer
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

You utter those words in the UK and you'll be swiftly arrested I'm afraid....it is purely ecconomical and space reason I am against further immigration, I couldnt care if my neighbour was pink with yellow dots, but the island is packed already

I would be arrested? Bwaaaaaaahhhhhhhhaaaaaaahhhhhhhaaaa. What exactly would I be arrested for exactly pray tell?

SaintLucifer
Quote: Originally Posted by LittleRunningGag

Might I ask why?

Might you ask why what? Hmm. That did not sound right but I am sure you get the idea.

LittleRunningGag
Free Thinker
There's a punchline somewhere that I'm missing. I'm sure of it. People don't actually think like this do they?

SaintLucifer
Quote: Originally Posted by LittleRunningGag

There's a punchline somewhere that I'm missing. I'm sure of it. People don't actually think like this do they?

You are making absolutely no sense. No matter. Discussion ended.

I think not
Well they could always revive the British Empire.

fuflans
They could 'colonize' South Georgia (and all of the other remote and desolate islands that they already control) with chavs.

Blackleaf

A tiny island nation like that cannot take in the world's garbage.

The 8th biggest island in the world. It's not tiny.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Daz_Hockey

Think about it though Mogz.....I'm English, I was shocked by the open spaces in the states, and to realise there are more people living in a country the size of oregon than the whole population of a country second largest in landmass in the world...now thats shocking.......It's hardly India though

There are 60 million people living in an area the size of Oregon. To show how crowded that is, Oregon has a population of just 3.5 million. Imagine how empty Britain would be with just 3.5 million people? We had that many in mediaeval times. The population of the US will hit 300 million this year. The Americans think their country is crowded, when in fact is one of the more sparsely populated countries in the world. Canada is even more empty. Twenty times bigger than Britain but with a population just half the size. Seems like a waste of land to me.

tracy
That wasted land is often pretty much uninhabitable. If you want to set up a home in the arctic, be my guest.

The US and Canada are both crowded in places and not in others. Trust me, the area I live in is definitely crowded. I still love it here though

Daz_Hockey
yes Tracy, but you can always move...as I've said (many times before), go around the states from new york, on a northward east-to-west via chicago, North and South Dakota, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada and California....and then back southwardly via new mexico, Texas, Alabama, Louisianna, Georgia, Virginnia etc.....and you'll find more open spaces than there are in the whole of europe and the subcontinent of India.....

Now that doesnt even include the "real" empty spaces of Nebraska, Colorado etc, and the fact that most of Canada is stationed no more than 500 miles further north. Well, I saw most of the empty spaces, and they looked perfectly habitable to me...the only uninhabitable lands I saw, were the ones given to the natives

I think not
I have a solution to your problem Daz, we annex the UK, most of its residents get transferred to the Southern US, much better weather, alot, I mean ALOT of room, big breasted women.

Daz_Hockey
sounds like a bloody good idea my man, where do I sign up?

Britain has always liked Texas anyway...well we did want to "use" it as a counter-weight against the southern and northern states of the US before the civil war....

And I wouldnt really trust the figures presented by Old Blackleaf, he's not exactly reliable these days, I mean, he didnt even know the Mayflower sailed from southampton

I think not
You can turn Southerners into English, by injection, :P if you catch my drift.

Daz_Hockey
hehe well....I already am a Southerner, and I'm sure it's the only place in north america that doesnt call me Dear-ron, but rather it's proper pronouciation of D-A-A-A-Ren hehe....

plus Blackleaf's a northerner, apparently theyre never wrong...actually my Uncle has spent a LOT of time in Texas, he was Jerry Hall's *Ahem* Personal Assistant

I think not
Blackleaf stays in the UK, that's the only condition.

Bugdishe
Nice try on the spam ... linking the smilie. Cosmo