9:30 Eastern Time, 6:30 local time is how JIm Hughson on CBC says the next Canuck gam


dumpthemonarchy
#1
There are some problems here by saying "9:30 Eastern Time, 6:30 local time" for the next Canucks game on Tuesday which Jim Hughson said several times on Sunday after the Canucks beat the Hawks.

1. There is no NHL team from an Eastern time zone in the Western Conference final. None. So why does this time zone get top billing?

2. Why is Pacific time denigrated to local time? Pacific time should be mentioned first because a team from the west coast is hosting the game. In Vancouver.

Canada has five time zones and even when major events are occurring outside the Eastern time zone, it does not seem to penetrate the consciousness of the media that seems unable to believe Canada has more than one time zone. The Vancouver Winter Olympics have been completely forgotten.
 
gerryh
#2
Why do they do it that way? Because the majority of the CBC's viewers are from the eastern time zone.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Why do they do it that way? Because the majority of the CBC's viewers are from the eastern time zone.

Just shows how easterners are just visitors to the west. Do we have to things the way the majority says? Why should the east always get priority? Canada has regions, and time zones which seem to match in a way.
 
gerryh
#4
 
dumpthemonarchy
#5
Once a trained seal. always a trained seal.
 
talloola
#6
local time is where the game is being played, vancouver.

3 hrs. earlier than eastern time, which is what the
NHL use as their game time, 'time zone.'

Pretty easy.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

local time is where the game is being played, vancouver.

3 hrs. earlier than eastern time, which is what the
NHL use as their game time, 'time zone.'

Pretty easy.

The NHL and the CBC are not the same company.

Where does the NHL state "eastern time" is the official time for a hockey game?
 
talloola
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

The NHL and the CBC are not the same company.

Where does the NHL state "eastern time" is the official time for a hockey game?

on their website, they 'always' use eastern time zone as
their time for every game, then each 'other' zone can
figure out what time it starts in their 'local' area.

I have NHL center ice package, and their list of games for
that day are put out every day, in 'eastern' time. Nothing
to do with CBC.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

on their website, they 'always' use eastern time zone as
their time for every game, then each 'other' zone can
figure out what time it starts in their 'local' area.

I have NHL center ice package, and their list of games for
that day are put out every day, in 'eastern' time. Nothing
to do with CBC.

The NHL I suppose can live in a one time zone universe as they cater completely to the market and the majority of the market is in the Eastern time zone. Yet its teams are in three time zones. Although I see it as an example of cultural colonialism, no matter where you live in Canada, time is based on the majority.

However, the CBC says its is "Canadian" and what exists within the Eastern time zone is not all of Canada. The CBC says it is not a lackey of the market, but it is a lackey of the Eastern time zone. I heard Peter Mansbridge say "our time" meaning Eastern time. Canada has five time zones, not one and the CBC with its "national" mandate should be pushing five time zones. Otherwise, no more govt money for them. They are too Toronto-centric.

BC does not always need to adapt to what time it is in Ontario, sorry. There can also be hockey games at 6:30 pm Pacific time and 9:30 pm local time-meaning somewhere back east.
 
talloola
#10
[QUOTE=dumpthemonarchy;1273219]The NHL I suppose can live in a one time zone universe as they cater completely to the market and the majority of the market is in the Eastern time zone. Yet its teams are in three time zones. Although I see it as an example of cultural colonialism, no matter where you live in Canada, time is based on the majority.

However, the CBC says its is "Canadian" and what exists within the Eastern time zone is not all of Canada. The CBC says it is not a lackey of the market, but it is a lackey of the Eastern time zone. I heard Peter Mansbridge say "our time" meaning Eastern time. Canada has five time zones, not one and the CBC with its "national" mandate should be pushing five time zones. Otherwise, no more govt money for them. QUOTE]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's just the 'simpler' way to go, as there are lots of
games every night in lots of different time zones, it's
so easy to see it all written in the 'eastern time', then
figure out one's own game, have been doing it for years.
The NHL is in the eastern time zone, hence they use 'it'
as the time to post.

When one checks in on their own team's 'web site', it will
be posted in your local time.

eg. when you go to NHL web site, game is in eastern time,
then click on one's own team web site', and see it in your
local time.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#11
The "NHL" as far as I can tell is in Vancouver, we have a team here called the Canucks. Ever heard of them? In the Pacific time zone. Not three hours minus the Eastern time zone.

You are the brother of Bill. We know you as Bill's brother. Your name is too complicated to remember. It is irrelevant.

Repeat. The media such as the CBC or TSN, is not the NHL.
 
talloola
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

The "NHL" as far as I can tell is in Vancouver, we have a team here called the Canucks. Ever heard of them? In the Pacific time zone. Not three hours minus the Eastern time zone.

You are the brother of Bill. We know you as Bill's brother. Your name is too complicated to remember. It is irrelevant.

Repeat. The media such as the CBC or TSN, is not the NHL.

NHL head office is in toronto.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

NHL head office is in toronto.

So?

Again, the CBC or TSN are not subsidiaries of the NHL. These networks should feel free to say the Pacific time zone if the thought strikes them.
 
talloola
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

So?

Again, the CBC or TSN are not subsidiaries of the NHL. These networks should feel free to say the Pacific time zone if the thought strikes them.

sure they can do whatever they want, but it is easier if
they stay on the same page with NHL, otherwise people get
confused, and then they will get all kinds of calls and
E Mails, wanting clarification, as to the actual time of
games, pretty easy to get people mixed up, even with good clarification,
they still get mixed up about times.

I find the method they use easy to follow, and I hear on the radio many
times, 'both times', the eastern one, followed by the local one.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

sure they can do whatever they want, but it is easier if
they stay on the same page with NHL, otherwise people get
confused, and then they will get all kinds of calls and
E Mails, wanting clarification, as to the actual time of
games, pretty easy to get people mixed up, even with good clarification,
they still get mixed up about times.

I find the method they use easy to follow, and I hear on the radio many
times, 'both times', the eastern one, followed by the local one.

Easy schmeasy. Screw the NHL. When they are in Toronto I might forgive them at times for lapses, but not when they are in Vancouver and talking about a Vancouver team. We must get priority sometimes. We must be number one sometimes. That is only fair.
 
talloola
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchy View Post

Easy schmeasy. Screw the NHL. When they are in Toronto I might forgive them at times for lapses, but not when they are in Vancouver and talking about a Vancouver team. We must get priority sometimes. We must be number one sometimes. That is only fair.

We are number one, it's in our own minds, nothing to do
with them, whatever they do with the times means nothing
in the way of our own importance to the NHL, or CBC, we
sit here and watch them constantly put their own foot in
their mouthes. I just smile, they know not what they do.
 

Similar Threads

29
Is it time for a CHL?
by Trex | Sep 7th, 2009
10
A time .
by china | Sep 17th, 2008
33
Your Vote; This Time VS Last Time?
by Timetrvlr | Dec 31st, 2005