Man sentenced to death in China milk scandal

china
Man sentenced to death in China milk scandal
China National News
Thursday 22nd January, 2009
(IANS)

Shijiazhuang (China), Jan 22 (Xinhua) Zhang Yujun, who produced and sold melamine-laced 'protein powder' in China's tainted milk scandal, was convicted for endangering public security and sentenced to death by a court Thursday.

He became the first person to be given the death penalty as the Shijiazhuang Intermediate People's Court began pronouncing sentences for 21 defendants implicated in the scandal.

The court also sentenced Zhang Yanzhang, who bought the protein powder from Zhang Yujun and resold them, to life in prison.

The prosecution last month said that Zhang Yujun, a native of Quzhou County, Hebei, had raised cattle since July 2007 and concocted the so-called protein powder by mixing the chemical melamine and malt starch.

The cattle farmer allegedly produced 775.6 tonnes of 'protein powder' that contained melamine from October 2007 through August 2008 and sold more than 600 tonnes with a total value of 6.83 million yuan ($999,000).

Zhang Yanzhang, who hails from the same county as Zhang Yujun, bought the protein powder and resold 230 tonnes.

Spade
"When we see men of a contrary character, we should turn inwards and examine ourselves."
- Confucius
Last edited by Spade; Jan 22nd, 2009 at 08:50 AM..Reason: Spell

china
Quote:

When we see men of a contrary character, we should turn inwards and examine ourselves."
- Confucius

Hey ,that's cool though the problem is not you and me ;it is the dead children who don't have a chance to ..."turn inwards and examine themselves."

china
Sanlu ex-boss gets life for milk scandal
By Zhu Zhe and Cui Xiaohuo (chinadaily.com.cn)
Updated: 2009-01-22 16:55
:docmtend()" target="_blank"> Comments(0) :Print()" target="_blank"> Print Mail
The former chairwoman and general manager of Sanlu Group, the dairy at the centre of China's melamine-tainted milk scandal, was sentenced to life in prison on Thursday for producing and selling fake or substandard products.

Tian Wenhua, the former chairwoman and general manager of Sanlu Group, stands trial on December 31, 2008. [Xinhua]
The 66-year-old Tian Wenhua was sentenced at the Intermediate People's Court in Shijiazhuang, capital of north China's Hebei Province. Life imprisonment is the maximum punishment for such a charge.
Three other former top Sanlu executives were given jail terms of between five years and 15 years. Wang Yuliang and Hang Zhiqi, both former deputy general managers of Sanlu, were respectively sentenced to 15 years and eight years in prison. Wu Jusheng, former manager of the firm's raw milk department, will stay behind bars for five years.
Two other defendants in the trial were given death sentences and another one received death sentence with probation.
Zhang Yujun became the first one to get death penalty as the court began announcing sentences for 21 defendants implicated in the scandal at 2:00 p.m.
The court said that from October 2007 to August 2008, Zhang Yujun produced 775.6 tons of "protein powder" that contained the toxic chemical of melamine, and sold more than 600 tons of it with a total value of 6.83 million yuan ($998,000).
He sold 230 tons of the "protein powder" to Zhang Yanzhang, who will stay behind bars for the rest of his life under the same charge.
During the trial, prosecutors said both Zhangs was "fully aware of the harm of melamine" while they produced and sold the chemical, and "should be charged for endangering the public security."

Previous page 1 2 Next Page
Previous page 1 2 Next Page

:docmtend()" target="_blank"> Comme

TenPenny
Can't say as I'm too surprised, or disappointed.

Nuggler
Seems like they got it about right.

JLM
CAnada should pay attention- they don't screw around over there.

Nuggler
ON the other hand there are:

Donald Marshall Jr., David Milgaard and Guy Paul Morin.......all wrongly convicted and later released.

That's just three. Lots more. Google "wrongly convicted in Canada"

And then there's the ones we don't know about...................yet.

Nope, leave the bullet in the brain to the Chinese. Suits their brutal dictatorial system better.

Unforgiven
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

CAnada should pay attention- they don't screw around over there.

So why do you choose to live here rather than there?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

So why do you choose to live here rather than there?

That's not rocket science, my family, friends, and life support systems are here plus I can speak the language here.

CanadianLove
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

Donald Marshall Jr., David Milgaard and Guy Paul Morin.......all wrongly convicted and later released.

Nope, leave the bullet in the brain to the Chinese. Suits their brutal dictatorial system better.

I bet if you kiled the ones who wrongly convicted the people things would change for the better also.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Nuggler View Post

There's no doubt about it- our justice system would have to smarten up a lot before we could routinely hand out death sentences. In Milgaard's case the outcome would have been very differently had they just allowed one of Milgaard's witnesses who could verify Milgaard's whereabouts at the time of the murder beyond a doubt. The public is partly to blame too, they get panicky and want a quick resolution to violent crimes, rather than an accurate resolution.

Kreskin
What is the 'death sentence with probation'?

bobnoorduyn

There's no doubt about it- our justice system would have to smarten up a lot before we could routinely hand out death sentences. In Milgaard's case the outcome would have been very differently had they just allowed one of Milgaard's witnesses who could verify Milgaard's whereabouts at the time of the murder beyond a doubt. The public is partly to blame too, they get panicky and want a quick resolution to violent crimes, rather than an accurate resolution.

The only reason I oppose capital punishment is because we don't have a "justice" system. Our system is based not on guilt or innocence but on who best presents their case. Don't get me wrong, as bad as it is, our system is light years ahead of the Excited States, though I still remember the televised exchange between Joyce Milgaard and then Justice Minister Kim Campbell. I believe there are those who deserve to be put down but I don't have the faith in our system to definitively determine whether the guilty are actually guilty.

bobnoorduyn
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

You get to choose who gets your harvested organs.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by bobnoorduyn View Post

The only reason I oppose capital punishment is because we don't have a "justice" system. Our system is based not on guilt or innocence but on who best presents their case. Don't get me wrong, as bad as it is, our system is light years ahead of the Excited States, though I still remember the televised exchange between Joyce Milgaard and then Justice Minister Kim Campbell. I believe there are those who deserve to be put down but I don't have the faith in our system to definitively determine whether the guilty are actually guilty.

You are absolutely correct, the ones who come out ahead are the ones who can afford the best lawyers, so what we have is a system that is corrupt fighting corruption.

bobnoorduyn

You are absolutely correct, the ones who come out ahead are the ones who can afford the best lawyers, so what we have is a system that is corrupt fighting corruption.

I woudn't say it is corrupt, I have advocated for those who were guilty, (I'm not a lawyer, I have just worked with them) and its not always cut and dried, there is always some horse trading that can be done. The system is complex, there are a lot of warts and invariably the innocent are vicimized. The guilty take as few lumps as possible and the innocent are left with a huge legal bill, wealthy or not.

bobnoorduyn
You know the only game show lawyers are allowed to appear on is Jeopardy, because they have to charge for answers, not questions.

CanadianLove
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Some say Marriage.