Triple Word Sore: Spell out how you feel without Scrabulous

CBC News
Canadians and Americans won't be able to play the popular Scrabble knockoff on the social network Facebook anymore now that the creators of the game pulled the application Tuesday.
Users who logged on to the game on Tuesday were greeted with a message saying, "Scrabulous is disabled for U.S. and Canadian users until further notice. If you would like to stay informed about developments in this matter, please click here."
Full story.
Triple Word Sore: Spell out how you feel without Scrabulous

More...

karrie
Scrabulous was a pretty clear copyright infringement in my opinion. I'm shocked it didn't happen sooner. I'm curious to see what replaces it.... scrabble or literati.

Scott Free
What fascinates me is that game rules can't be copyrighted. What was facebook thinking? To get hit with this suit is so negligent on someones part. The name "Scrabulous" is an obvious rip off. If they had called it "The Word Game" they probably couldn't have been sued. The whole legal department at facebook should be fired IMO.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by Scott Free View Post

What fascinates me is that game rules can't be copyrighted. What was facebook thinking? To get hit with this suit is so negligent on someones part. The name "Scrabulous" is an obvious rip off. If they had called it "The Word Game" they probably couldn't have been sued. The whole legal department at facebook should be fired IMO.

Ah, but it's an application, not facebook itself. That's where their legal department is darn clever.

The makers of the application are liable, but not facebook itself from what I've been able to make out of it.

Scott Free
Right you are! That is clever.