Airport Security

FUBAR
Annoying frustrating and bizzare, but this is just stupid..

Sideswipe: Monday - 12 May 2008 - Sideswipe - New Zealand Herald

Quote:

Never mind the nail scissors, what about the chainsaw. A reader writes: "My brother-in-law went through security at Auckland domestic airport and witnessed a passenger having to fish out her nail scissors from her handbag and leave them behind. He went through security and then boarded his plane. After being seated he could smell petrol. He knew you shouldn't be able to smell petrol on a plane, because planes don't use petrol. The smell got worse and eventually he got the attention of one of the flight attendants. They started to look around to see where it was coming from. They found in the overhead compartment a chainsaw in a bag that was leaking petrol into the compartment. His plane was delayed as the owner was identified and the chainsaw removed and put with the main luggage. The owner of the chainsaw said security had stopped him but had let him through because it wasn't one of the things on their list to confiscate.

And I had to repack carry on bags because we had one too many for them but the airline had said we were okay when we checked in......

Zan
hmmm - when they nabbed my 'potentially explosive' toothpaste they said they donate all confiscated items to the homeless.... not sure what I'd make of a homeless person asking me for money while brandishing a donated chainsaw? Especially if he had a tube of toothpaste to go with it!

FUBAR
Well I don't know, toothpaste can really sting if it gets in your eye. Either that or you have the cleanest homeless people hanging round your airport..

Zan
good point Fubar - the toothpaste is much too dangerous to be giving away willy-nilly like that...

FUBAR
On a side issue, if a homeless person injured themselves with say the toothpaste do you think they would be able to take legal action against the security people for giving them dangerous articles? After all if you can't take them on a plane why give it to someone who may use it in the wrong way or place.

Zan
Quote: Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post

On a side issue, if a homeless person injured themselves with say the toothpaste do you think they would be able to take legal action against the security people for giving them dangerous articles? After all if you can't take them on a plane why give it to someone who may use it in the wrong way or place.

you're on a roll today Fubar! That makes sense - I see huge potential for a class action here - who knows how much explosive toothpaste, hair gel, shaving gel, shampoo, and other sundry hygiene products have been dispersed amongst the homeless!!