APOSTASY - Sun Worship In The Church

herald
"And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone...Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similtude of any figure, the likeness of male or female...And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them and serve them..." Deut 4:12-20.

And, yet, that is what the children of Israel did, over and over again - even, the priests. 2 Ki 23:4-11. Matthew Henry makes a connection between this worship and the worship of Lucifer (Isa 14:12), who said, "I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God...I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High."

God showed Ezekiel, twenty-five women weeping for Tammuz (sun-god), and men in the inner court of the Lord's house, between the porch and the altar, worshipping the sun, towards the east. Ezek 8:13-18.

"Then he said unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? Is it a light thing to the house of Judah, that they commit the abominations which they commit here? For they have filled the land with violence, and have returned to provoke me to anger: and, lo, they put the branch to their nose. Therefore, I will also deal in fury: mine eye shall not spare, neither will I have pity: and though they cry in my ears with a loud voice, yet will I not hear them."

The Lord had told them to destroy the graven images (Deut 7:25) and all of their pictures. Num 33:52.

At Babel, the people said that they would build a tower, whose top would reach unto heaven. Gen 11:3,4. "Unto heaven" is a figure of speech, used, also, in Deut 1:28. There is enough evidence to show that the tower ("ziggurat") was connected with sun-worship.

The Romans, when conquering, would take the people's gods, thinking to undermine their power. Many graven images were brought back to Rome, and, later, into the church. For example, the statue of St. Peter in St. Peter's Basilica, was, once, Jupiter (sun-god).

The golden child in the Vatican treasury, is reminiscent of the ancient worship of Tammuz. Born on December 25th, he represents the rebirth of the sun. He was called, "Baal-berith," or lord of the fir-tree. The word "yule" is a Babylonian word for infant. Both Egyptians and Persians, celebrated the birthday of their god on December 25th. Other names applied to the sun-god are Mithras, Horus, Isvara, Deoius, Jupiter, Rah, Plutus, Ninus, Osiris, Dionysus, Bacchus, Iacchus, Adonis, Attis, etc.

The placing of Mary in a crescent is a remnant of the fertility cults of the ancient mother-goddess, traceable to the Babylonian queen, Semiramis, titled, "Mother of God," and "Queen of Heaven."

The pagans placed a circle or aureole around the heads of their gods, which continued in the art of the church. (Even, Buddha, had this circular symbol around his head.) The disk was used to represent any being as a god or goddess. Thousands of pictures of Mary and the saints have this same symbolism.

As paganism and Christianity blended, at times, a saint was given a similar sounding name to that of a god or goddess. The goddess Victoria, was renamed, St. Victoire, Cheron as St. Ceranos, Artemis as St. Astemidos, Dionysus as St. Dionysus, etc. The goddess Brighit (daughter of the sun-god with a child in her arms), was renamed St. Bridgit. In pagan days, her chief temple was at Kildare and was served by Vestal Virgins, who tended the sacred fires. Later, her temple became a convent and her Vestal Virgins, nuns. Now, it is called, "St. Bridget's fire." - Babylon Mystery Religion, by Ralph Woodrow.

Originally, the obelisk was associated with sun-worship, a symbol of "Baal," (which was a title of Nimrod), because it pointed toward heaven. It, also, had a sexual significance - the phallus, as with the sun, is a symbol of life. The same obelisk (the ancient symbol of Osiris, the solar phallic god) that stood in Egypt is, now, in the entrance to St. Peter's.

The largest occult solar wheel on earth is the court of St. Peter at the Vatican in Rome - a wheel within a wheel, with eight spokes, a common symbol of cosmic energy in paganism.

The Pope's mitre (hat) comes from sun-worship, as seen in pictures of Dagon and Oannes, the Babylonian fish-god and Vishnu, Hindu fish-god.

There is so much more...Constantine had a vision of the cross of Mithra (sun-god) and heard a voice, saying, "In this sign, conquer..." Though pagan Rome was corrupt and oppressive, Jesus never rallied an army to overthrow the Empire. He taught us to wage a different kind of warfare - spiritual warfare for the souls of men. Constantine, a christian? He had his wife and eldest son murdered. He was a sun-worshipper. In 321 A.D., he established the first Sunday law, in order to unite the pagans and the Christians in the empire. In 364 A.D., at the Council of Laodicea, the Sabbath was, officially, "changed" to Sunday (called, "The Lord's Day," in sun-worship). The "Little Horn" (Antichrist) who was to arise out of the Roman Empire "thinks to change times and law." - Dan 7:25.

Jesus, referred to Himself, as "Lord of the Sabbath," the day He sanctified at Creation, and the day He told us to "remember" in the fourth commandment.

By honoring the day that He chose, we demonstrate our allegiance to and honor Him, as Lord, and Creator of the heavens, the earth, and, most of all, of us.

"But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings...Mal 4:2

Worship the Sun of righteousness - Worship the Son of God!

tamarin
Hmmm, and it all comes down to: is the God of the old and new testaments real or not? And if He is real then why, unlike the God of each of these, is He not more overtly present in our lives? Christians are mesmerized by the old stories and their obviously activist God. Doesn't happen anymore. WhY

Zzarchov
that depends on whom you ask, Restorationist Christians (mormons) believe god is still active and sends out prophets constantly.

herald
The one, true and Almighty God, Maker of heaven and earth is very active in the lives of those who put their faith in Him.

I could write a book about the many wonderful things He has done for me, my family and friends - the "peace that passes all understanding" when your sins are forgiven - the new heart and spirit He gives you when you take Jesus as your Redeemer, the comfort He gives when no one else understands, the financial provision when things look impossible, daily miraculous interventions , physical and spiritual healings...I love Him more then life.

Ask Him to reveal Himself to you, and see what happens.

tamarin
Sounds appealling but obviously your God and the God of the testaments are two separate beings. There was a time, if the scriptures are to be believed, that God was public and miracles commonplace. Faith was rewarded by visible, verifiable manifestations of the divine. It would be so easy for God to make a difference today if He treated this age with the interest he did biblical times.

herald
When Jesus healed, he would say, "Thy faith hath made thee whole..." The Scriptures say, that, He could not do many works in Nazareth (His home town) because of their unbelief.

He never forces His will upon us. There are millions of christians throughout the world, that, do believe Him and experience many miracles.

The Scripture says, "Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. We feed our faith, by studying His Word.

I have six doctors and several nurses in my extended family, but, took Jesus as my Healer decades ago. I have seen a man raised from the dead. I have cast demons out of a witch and prayed her through a stroke. When I was cheated out of a lot of money, and had difficulty caring for my children, He provided all I needed. He delivered me from an would-be attacker...

My grandfather was a personal prisoner of Mao Tse Tung, for preaching the Gospel to the Chinese. He was tried before thousands of communists and told to renounce his faith,as a gun was held to his head. Instead, he preached the Gospel to them. They threw him in a dungeon, to think about it. After some time, he prayed, "Lord, take me home or set me free." That night, "someone" came and set him free. After being reunited with his family, they went to Singapore to continue sharing the Gospel. I hope that if I am in a similar position, I will love Him and those who need Him, more than my own life.

What is happening in this world, He prophesied in Matthew 24 and other places. He gave us this world for a time, and, look, what we have done! He will intervene, but, when He does, it will be the end of all things. Jesus will return and purge the earth, gathering His own. He will make a new heaven and earth, for those who love Him - those who love righteousness.

We are born in sin, but, He offers us, an opportunity to be born-again - born of His Spirit. I gave my heart to Him at seventeen. He changed my whole life, forever.

tamarin
Your faith sounds wonderful and I'm sure it is a gift in all the senses that entails. The world is in crisis and has been century after century. I'd just like God to be more present and obvious in people's lives. It wouldn't take a lot and it would make such a big difference in public attitudes. As in human affairs we have too much talk and too little action in things that matter most.

The Project Man
The origin of Easter

The English word Easter and the German Ostern come from a common origin (Eostur, Eastur, Ostara, Ostar), which to the Norsemen meant the season of the rising (growing) sun, the season of new birth. The word was used by our ancestors to designate the Feast of New Life in the spring. The same root is found in the name for the place where the sun rises (East, Ost). The word Easter, then, originally meant the celebration of the spring sun, which had its birth in the East and brought new life upon earth. This symbolism was transferred to the supernatural meaning of our Easter, to the new life of the Risen Christ, the eternal and uncreated Light. Based on a passage in the writings of Saint Bede the Venerable (735), the term Easter has often been explained as the name of an Anglo-Saxon goddess (Eostre), though no such goddess is known in the mythologies of any Germanic tribe. Modern research has made it quite clear that Saint Bede erroneously interpreted the name of the season as that of a goddess.

Source: Francis X. Weiser, Handbook of Christian Feasts and Customs (New York: Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc., 195, p. 211. Copyright 1952 by Francis X. Weiser.

http://biblelight.net/easter.htm

herald
He is not more present, because, in the garden of Eden, our parents, rejected His Lordship and went their own way, and we have continued in the same path...but, not for long.

Jesus will come again. This time, not as a Lamb, but, as the Judge.

He has given us space to repent, and then, He will set up His eternal Kingdom upon the earth in the new Jerusalem...and He will reign forever!

Why not read His prophecy in Matthew 24?

Daz_Hockey
oh dear, god botherer....

the systematic murder of countless millions of his followers, whether they be Jew, Christian or Muslim suggests to me....and many, many, many others today (those who do not follow like blind sheep anyway) that perhaps either God doesnt give 2 tosses about the human race or that actually he/she doesnt exsist at all and is only a personification of the arrogence of man.

ahem.

herald
I hope, that, you will reconsider your position. One day, we all, will stand before Him and give an account for our lives.

"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and godhead; so that they are without excuse: Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became as fools." Romans 1:20-32.

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God." Psalm 14:1.

I would be honored to lay down my life for Him.