Millions die from air pollution

Redmonton_Rebel
Every year more than 1,000,000 people die from the air pollution produced by burning fossil fuels.

WHO | Air quality and health

Quote:

Urban outdoor air pollution is estimated to cause 1.3 million deaths worldwide per year. Those living in middle-income countries disproportionately experience this burden.

Walter
+1
Oh, no!

taxslave
+4
#3  Top Rated Post
Simple solution: Ban cities. Poof no more urban air pollution. Also eliminates much of the market for fossil fuels.

Cabbagesandking
Would it be something to be facetious about if it were your child or spouse dying of respiratory ailments?

Walter
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Redmonton_Rebel View Post

Every year more than 1,000,000 people die from the air pollution produced by burning fossil fuels.

WHO said that?

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cabbagesandking View Post

Would it be something to be facetious about if it were your child or spouse dying of respiratory ailments?

I would recommend they move to the country.

Cabbagesandking
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

Where they still get it Air masses move and pay no attention to urban divisions.

Redmonton_Rebel
Read the article, it states that individuals can do little to avoid it.

CDNBear

Read the article, it states that individuals can do little to avoid it.

Ya, in urban areas, lol.

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

There goes the neighbourhood.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cabbagesandking View Post

Every year thousands die at work. Should we all stop working because of that?

JLM

I call bullsh*t! You may want to differentiate between "cause" and "the straw that broke the camel's back". I'll bet 950 thousand already had severely compromised health, like malnutrition, Aids, dysentry, malaria, etc. etc. etc.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

I like that idea!

darkbeaver
Air pollution occurs naturally, even in the absence of humans. Who cares about respritorilly compromized bunnies?

Oh I almost forgot, there is no such thing as fossil fuels.

gopher
Well, surprise, surprise - no one has blamed Obama for this, yet. But it's a good bet someone will soon do so ....

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

Well, surprise, surprise - no one has blamed Obama for this, yet. But it's a good bet someone will soon do so ....

Nah, it's all Bush's fault!

Bar Sinister
There is only one obvious solution to this. Place every possible obstacle in the way of alternative energy.

B00Mer
Geography has a lot to do with this problem as well.. Los Angeles is surrounded by a mountain range that holds the pollution in a basin.

I wish Canada and the USA would push harder for a Hydrogen Hwy as they have in Norway.. it would help allot.

Fuel-cell car rally opens Norway's hydrogen highway | Reuters

Redmonton_Rebel
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar Sinister View Post

There is only one obvious solution to this. Place every possible obstacle in the way of alternative energy.

That would be the sociopathic thing to do, which is fully consistant with modern political and business practices. Why build something for the future when you can kill a whole lot of people now?

Bar Sinister

That would be the sociopathic thing to do, which is fully consistant with modern political and business practices. Why build something for the future when you can kill a whole lot of people now?

Right. I always find it amusing that such feeble objections are made to alternative energy sources; the most frequent one being that it costs more than other sources such as coal fired power plants. However, this is always done without factoring in environmental and health costs that coal-fired plants create. Pumpng tons of mercury into the atmosphere can't be good for anyone.

Cabbagesandking
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

There goes the neighbourhood.

Every year thousands die from fevered brains. You should rest yours before it gets too hot.

Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Geography has a lot to do with this problem as well.. Los Angeles is surrounded by a mountain range that holds the pollution in a basin.

I wish Canada and the USA would push harder for a Hydrogen Hwy as they have in Norway.. it would help allot.

Fuel-cell car rally opens Norway's hydrogen highway | Reuters

Geography does have a lot to do with how it spreads. It does not, though, have anything to do with the source.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I call bullsh*t! You may want to differentiate between "cause" and "the straw that broke the camel's back". I'll bet 950 thousand already had severely compromised health, like malnutrition, Aids, dysentry, malaria, etc. etc. etc.

It is not that simple. Even in the city of Toronto, where those maladies are not a factor, the Health authorities clain that up to 1000 die each year from pollution caused illness.

Right. I always find it amusing that such feeble objections are made to alternative energy sources; the most frequent one being that it costs more than other sources such as coal fired power plants. However, this is always done without factoring in environmental and health costs that coal-fired plants create. Pumpng tons of mercury into the atmosphere can't be good for anyone.

Even without the externalities factored in , Wind Power is already cheaper than coal. Most alternatives are now cheaper than new traditional sources of energy.

There is no economic argument to be made any more.

petros
Air pollution? A dust storm is air polution and can kill you.

darkbeaver
+2
Dust storms are caused by CO2. I've just rolled up some early green air polluting substance. Air quality trials you know.

Redmonton_Rebel
Air pollution and your heart - Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada

You don't need to have underlying health issues to be seriously affected by air pollution from fossil fuels;

Quote:

When we breathe, we inhale air pollution particles that are carried to the lungs where, says Heart and Stroke Foundation researcher Dr. Stephan van Eeden, they induce inflammation in lung tissues. “This inflammation spills over into the bloodstream and inflames blood vessels, which allows cholesterol and other substances to easily build up, a condition known as atherosclerosis − one of the main causes of heart attacks and stroke.”

It can cause damage that leads to heart attacks and stroke.

Over 20,000 Canadians were estimated to have died from air pollution in 2008 alone;

Quote:

Short- and long-term exposure to air pollution are estimated to have resulted in 21,000 premature deaths in Canada in 2008 as well as 11,000 hospital admissions.

It's also been linked with cancer although the number of cases there is much less;

EPA Estimates Cancer Risk Associated With Air Pollution

lone wolf
I wonder what calcium chloride does - considering they use it instead of old oil as dust suppressant now or to live up to bare asphalt policies in winter

Walter
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

I wonder what calcium chloride does - considering they use it instead of old oil as dust suppressant now or to live up to bare asphalt policies in winter

Kept the dust down on the concession road I lived on as a kid. Road is paved now.

lone wolf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Kept the dust down on the concession road I lived on as a kid. Road is paved now.

Great stuff for making nosebleeds and solidifying boots when you're bagging it - not to mention what it did to the bagger.

Bar Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Air pollution? A dust storm is air polution and can kill you.

Brilliant observation. And what man-made activity causes dust storms exactly?

Walter

And what man-made activity causes dust storms exactly?

Driving on gravel roads.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Great stuff for making nosebleeds and solidifying boots when you're bagging it - not to mention what it did to the bagger.

Choose your work wisely.

lone wolf
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Driving on gravel roads.

Choose your work wisely.

Ahh ... but there ARE no bad jobs.

I didn't have to quit that one. The machinery was finished. So much for that Master Feeds....

taxslave
+1 / -1
[QUOTE=Cabbagesandking;1621365]Every year thousands die from fevered brains. You should rest yours before it gets too hot.

I'm not the one making the BS claims on here.

It is not that simple. Even in the city of Toronto, where those maladies are not a factor, the Health authorities clain that up to 1000 die each year from pollution caused illness.

Health authorities make lots of claims. Many, like yours are not substantiated by facts.