Worst Inventions Ever

Hoof Hearted
I'd have to go with the electric can opener.

I mean, some guy actually thought to himself..."This 3 or 4 turns of my wrist is wasting my damn time! There MUST be a better way!!"

Then he invented the dumbest money-waster of all time.

What's your choice for the most ridiculous man-made invention?

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof Hearted View Post

I mean, some guy actually thought to himself..."This 3 or 4 turns of my wrist is wasting my damn time! There MUST be a better way!!"

its not just the electric can openers that are bad. manual can openers are bad too.

Hoof Hearted
I suppose electric can openers would be good for a canning business...but to you use one in your own home?

I think electric toothbrushes are just as ridiculous/ useless.

AncientMuse
+1
Electric can openers break after a week (learned my lesson the hard way after going through 3 of them).

Electric toothbrushes ? I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe those things.

Electric knives. Can you say useless... how difficult is it to saw back and forth a few times to cut through a roast ?

Unless it's my mother's roast of couse, then you need a friggin chainsaw to cut through the dried out shoe leather. I hated pot roast as a child, I had no idea that a roast was supposed to be pink and juicy (not black and dry) until I ate one for the first time at a friend's house when I was a teenager. LOL

Hoof Hearted
My mother-in-law once had 6 adults over for dinner. She takes the roast out of the oven, and it's the size of a hockey puck. It was so embarrassing, I faked a migraine headache and left.

She would always do this...have people over but too cheap to buy enough food. And at restaurants she's the cheapest tipper, and always gripes about something being wrong with the meal to justify not leaving a gratuity for the wait staff.

I've simply stopped going anywhere with my in-laws.

(rant over)

OpposingDigit
+1
Hi! HoofHearted

Your little rant reminded me of when I purchased a roast duck for Thanksgiving dinner in 1972 because I had company coming over.

It went into the roast pan huge, and then shrunk into a small duck in a large pool of duck grease in the roasting pan while cooking. Quite embarrassing to feed to a group of 4 adults. About a fork or two each.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by AncientMuse View Post

Electric can openers break after a week (learned my lesson the hard way after going through 3 of them).

Electric toothbrushes ? I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe those things.

Electric knives. Can you say useless... how difficult is it to saw back and forth a few times to cut through a roast ?

Unless it's my mother's roast of couse, then you need a friggin chainsaw to cut through the dried out shoe leather. I hated pot roast as a child, I had no idea that a roast was supposed to be pink and juicy (not black and dry) until I ate one for the first time at a friend's house when I was a teenager. LOL

Yeah, I've tried ALL that electric shit at stages in my life and now I'm back to the manual version of all of them. Much simpler and at my stage in life welcome any exercise I can get. It all adds up to good health.

Curious Cdn
+2
#8  Top Rated Post
I'd have to say the leaf blower. There is none so pathetic or idiotic a sight than watching an obcessive-compulsive neighbour blow a single leaf twenty five feet along a driveway using a two stroke leaf blower that's screaming away like a banshee.

spaminator
[youtube]8ihEZMMOYmQ[/youtube]

JLM
Leaf blower is definitely a detriment, it should suck instead of blow, you want to get the f**king leaves to where you want them in the fewest number of moves.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Leaf blower is definitely a detriment, it should suck instead of blow, you want to get the f**king leaves to where you want them in the fewest number of moves.

It should suck them up and mush them into an easily compostable material. Leaves are pretty darned close to being soil if you chop them up finely enough.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

It should suck them up and mush them into an easily compostable material. Leaves are pretty darned close to being soil if you chop them up finely enough.

I just put the bag on the lawn mower and run over them and dump them on the garden.
Last edited by JLM; Jun 10th, 2018 at 05:00 PM..

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I just put the bag on the law mower and run over them and dump them on the garden.

I rake up my grass clippings in the spring and use them to mulch my vegetable garden. Leaves get thrown into the compost where they will be magically transformed into rich, High pH soil by next spring.

AncientMuse
+1
This thread is hilarious !

You guys have me laughing out loud describing the utter ridiculous of all this stuff.

Another what-the-hell-was-I-thinking-when-I-bought-this:

Cordless electric lawn mowers. Damn things don't last long enough to do both the front and back lawns before it dies and needs recharging.

Hoof Hearted
Are you a front bagger?

A rear bagger?

Or a side bagger?

Side bagging can be fun for a change, but it's awfully hard on the old back!

(rim shot)

Anybody remember the Flowbee?

The 1980's vacuum hair cutter. "Lookin fine my man...lookin fine!"

Of course, The Jesus Light Switch cover might just take the cake for worst inventions...

spaminator
+1
[youtube]rwIJlEsIVZQ[/youtube]

AncientMuse
+1

Anybody remember the Flowbee?

The 1980's vacuum hair cutter. "Lookin fine my man...lookin fine!"

Bwahahaha the Flowbee, I remember those commercials !

How about the spray-on hair stuff that was all the rage for about 5 minutes in the 90's ?

I know guys who actually bought that stuff.

I was kinda embarrassed for them....

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by AncientMuse View Post

Bwahahaha the Flowbee, I remember those commercials !

How about the spray-on hair stuff that was all the rage for about 5 minutes in the 90's ?

I know guys who actually bought that stuff.

I was kinda embarrassed for them....

Does it come in "Orange", by any chance?

AncientMuse
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

Does it come in "Orange", by any chance?

I saw what you did there.

Hoof Hearted
HaHaHa!...

I remember that now...spray-on hair!

Not sure how this turns out on a rainy day without an umbrella.

AncientMuse

HaHaHa!...

I remember that now...spray-on hair!

Not sure how this turns out on a rainy day without an umbrella.

We should ask John Travolta, I'm sure he knows how it holds out in a rain storm...

Hoof Hearted
I didn't know rat carcass toupees were making a comeback.

Johnnny
The safe place.

Bar Sinister
+2

We use an electric can opener? Why? Because in the last five years we have tried multiple manual can openers and every one of them has broken - even the high tech $25 dollar models. Some of the openers lasted less than two months. We've had an electric for a year now and it still works fine.

But if you want a useless and unnecessary invention how about bottled water? Not only is it incredibly expensive compared to tap water, but most of it comes from the same source as tap water anyway. Not only that but the plastic bottles are a major environmental problem.

hunterclail1221
Been hooked with videos on kitchen gadgets and it's unbelievable how many useless stuff people come up with. There's a banana slicer (hello, knife!!), and automatic spinning fork for your pasta, and those pizza scissors that actually make things harder.