Security experts sound alarm about Canada's ties to Chinese tech company Huawei

Murphy
This was talked about three years ago by agencies concerned with securing data, but keeps coming back. The talk three years ago was about several Huawei devices, but their hot spots seemed to be the tech that bothered security people the most.
---

Security experts sound alarm about Canada's ties to Chinese tech company Huawei
Former CSIS director Ward Elcock says the company could be used as a vehicle for Chinese spying

Canadian security experts are expressing concern about Canada's growing ties to Chinese tech company Huawei.

Over the past decade, Huawei has expanded its operations in Canada. Its equipment is used in telecommunications infrastructure run by the country's major carriers, some of which sell Huawei phones.

The company has also struck up partnerships with Canadian universities, and says it is investing more than half a billion dollars in researching 5G, the next generation of cellular networks in Canada.

Three former directors of Canada's key national security agencies told the Globe and Mail the company could be used as vehicle for Chinese spying.

Huawei Canada told As It Happens in an email that it has been operating in Canada since 2008 without problems and that its 700 employees "will continue to do whatever is required by Canadian operators and stakeholders to ensure Canada remains a global leader in telecommunications now, and in the future."

Security experts sound alarm about Canada's ties to Chinese tech company Huawei | CBC Radio

taxslave
Welcome to the new world ordder.

Curious Cdn
I was looking at a Huawei phone, just last night. I've seen a few of them around here. I haven't seen them for sale. Chinese immigrants are bringing them here with them.

bill barilko
+1
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I was looking at a Huawei phone, just last night. I've seen a few of them around here. I haven't seen them for sale.Chinese immigrants are bringing them here with them.

What cave do you live in?

Epic cluelessness noted.

They're for sale all over the country FFS.

When I worked for the Jazz Festival they gave us Huawei phones to use- OMFG what a useless POFS excuse for a cell phone.

Can you imagine being in the transportation business and finding out that no one's phones work at the airport?

Sounds funny now but wasn't then.

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I was looking at a Huawei phone, just last night. I've seen a few of them around here. I haven't seen them for sale. Chinese immigrants are bringing them here with them.

Right, which is why Hockey Night In Canada is sponsored in part by them has been pimping the shit out of them.

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilko View Post

What cave do you live in?

Epic cluelessness noted.

They're for sale all over the country FFS.

When I worked for the Jazz Festival they gave us Huawei phones to use- OMFG what a useless POFS excuse for a cell phone.

Can you imagine being in the transportation business and finding out that no one's phones work at the airport?

Sounds funny now but wasn't then.

It shows how interested I am in cell phones, I suppose. I'm happy with the one that I have. It synchs with my car. I don't shop for the latest.
Last edited by Curious Cdn; Mar 22nd, 2018 at 06:23 AM..

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Why would the Chinese bother with an elaborate plot to steal information when they can just buy it from Facebook and other social media platforms?

Johnnny
You know they will have officially taken over is when in the event you call the customer suppourt line and the operator answers the phone in Chinese first.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

You know they will have officially taken over is when in the event you call the customer suppourt line and the operator answers the phone in Chinese first.

As opposed to Hindi.

Johnnny
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

As opposed to Hindi.

I dunno. It seems they might have plateaued a bit too early in their plans for cellular domination.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

They definetly will. Huawei is what Chinese say when they answer the phone.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

Right, which is why Hockey Night In Canada is sponsored in part by them has been pimping the shit out of them.

I stopped watching them HNIC they left the CBC.

I hardly watch any TV at all, these days. My kids watch 0%. TV is dying like shopping malls are.

petros
HNIC is still on CBC every Saturday.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

HNIC is still on CBC every Saturday.

Really? Am I interested in watching hockey on my Saturdays?

Ummmm, No.

petros
So you never watched before they never left CBC?

Curious Cdn

So you never watched before they never left CBC?

Sure. Some games. Habs games. I don't do "sports fan" although I'll watch Olympics, World Cup (depending on who's playing. My son plays Rugby and I've come to like it.

petros
So what was your uninformed point?

Curious Cdn

So what was your uninformed point?

My point was originally that I have seen a bunch of those new Huawei cellphones just recently, only in the hands of the many recently arrived Chinese immigrants that live all around us, here. I hadn't seen them for sale anywhere, although I admit that I wasn't looking hard for them, either.

So what is the point of you persuing the irrelevant NHL broadcasts except to be a mean-spirited dynk, yet one more time?

petros
You make a point of checking out everyone's phone?

Which phones do East Indians use?

Tecumsehsbones

Motowowa.

Curious Cdn

Listen, fool. A kid was showing me a photo on one two nights ago. Another person was sort of "showing one off" in a meeting last week. They are new and unusual around here.

spaminator
my big sis had that brand. she dropped it. the screen cracked and the internet stopped working. its no longer under warranty so she has to look for a replacement.

bill barilko
+1
All of a sudden things don't looks so rosy for Huawei

Best Buy walks away from Huawei, leaving it with zero US retail partners

Huawei Mate 10 Pro, one of the phones that won't be sold by US carriers

Here's another nail in the coffin for Huawei's US expansion plans: Best Buy will reportedly stop selling Huawei products over "the next few weeks," according to a new report from CNet. Best Buy is the latest major retail partner to dump Huawei's products after the US Senate and House Intelligence committees targeted Huawei smartphones over spying concerns earlier this year.

Huawei was poised to make a big break into the US market this year via deals it had lined up with AT&T and Verizon. Once the Intelligence Committee caught wind of Huawei's plans, it started contacting Huawei's partners and pressuring them to cut ties with the company. Despite the ubiquity of Chinese products in the US marketplace, the committee feels Huawei is a little too connected to the Chinese government, which it says raises "concerns regarding Huawei and Chinese espionage." Huawei's potential for spying has long been a concern of the US government, but those concerns mostly revolved around the company's networking gear.

“Political pressure” reportedly kills Huawei/AT&T smartphone deal.

Best Buy is the latest distributer to walk away from Huawei, and, with all the carriers jumping ship, it was also the last major brick-and-mortar location where consumers could actually see a Huawei phone in person. The only places to buy Huawei phones in the US now are Internet retailers like Amazon and Newegg.
Huawei happens to be the largest telecommunications equipment manufacturer in the world. While Samsung is the world's largest smartphone manufacturer, Huawei usually settles in around number three and occasionally fights Apple for the number two spot. Huawei is also one of the few smartphone manufacturers with its own line of SoCs, just like Samsung and Apple.

ZTE, another Chinese smartphone OEM with close ties to the Chinese government, is often mentioned as an espionage concern alongside Huawei. ZTE has somehow managed to dodge this latest round of pressure and still sells smartphones at Verizon, AT&T, and Best Buy locations.

Murphy
+1
But we still have them here.

bill barilko
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

But we still have them here.

For the moments Yes.