BC's Sunshine Coast

Murphy
Fireball XL5 intro. Filmed on the Sunshine coast of BC, the rocket carriers that ejected as XL5 took off filled the Georgia Straight and formed the peninsula on Keats Island.

[youtube]6ifS2nP53Zs[/youtube]

Later, the BC government ordered the debris removed, but it was too late. It had embedded itself on the floor of the straight. When he was alive, Howie Meeker would exit his home in Parksville, on Vancouver Island, pee into the straight, point and laugh at Keats.

Here, Stingray, a secret naval vessel of the Canadian Navy, patrolled the waters there, destroying mutant fish, Asian invaders and Russian oil wells dotting the coast. Raw sewage, dumped into the ocean untreated, caused most of the problems. The fish mutated. Sonar wouldn't work below 50 ft. It was a mess. Sadly, it still is. But BC Ferries now performs sovereignty patrols in the area, frightening away seniors and older tourists wanting to visit Gibson's Landing.

[youtube]E06cNv55jTs[/youtube]

Curious Cdn
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
I told you not to take the green capsule.

Murphy
I was never in the navy, but I was close. I was stationed in Comox for 4 years.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

I was never in the navy, but I was close. I was stationed in Comox for 4 years.

I was never in MARPAC (or the "yacht club" as we used to call it in the seventies.) Did you ever do time at Shearwater?

Murphy
No. I wasn't keen on Sea Kings. I steered clear of there.

Curious Cdn

No. I wasn't keen on Sea Kings. I steered clear of there.

Oh, there was other stuff flying out of there ... Hercs, Trackers, Argus, 707s

Murphy
I wasn't trained on prop a/c. The closest I got to props was Comox. Nice to watch, but they were not interesting.

Curious Cdn

I wasn't trained on prop a/c. The closest I got to props was Comox. Nice to watch, but they were not interesting.

I have an old friend (older than I) here in Oakville who flew the North Stars. He used to carry your CF-104s across the Atlantic.