Thirteenth Doctor Who to be revealed after Wimbledon

Blackleaf
The identity of Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord will be revealed following the Wimbledon men's singles tennis final on Sunday, the BBC has announced.

A trailer featuring the number 13 in different locations was aired during the tennis on BBC One on Friday.

It finished with the caption: "Meet the 13th Doctor after the Wimbledon men's final, Sunday 16th July."

Doctor Who: New actor to be revealed after Wimbledon

14 July 2017
BBC News

The identity of Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord will be revealed following the Wimbledon men's singles tennis final on Sunday, the BBC has announced.

A trailer featuring the number 13 in different locations was aired during the tennis on BBC One on Friday.

It finished with the caption: "Meet the 13th Doctor after the Wimbledon men's final, Sunday 16th July."

The actor will succeed Peter Capaldi who took the role in 2013 and will leave in the 2017 Christmas special.

Capaldi made the announcement during an interview with BBC Radio 2 presenter Jo Whiley in January.

The Glasgow-born star said: "I feel it's time to move on. I feel sad I love Doctor Who. It is a fantastic programme to work on."

Ability to regenerate

Peter Capaldi's first episode as the Twelfth Doctor was aired on Christmas Day 2013 and his last will air on Christmas Day 2017

The locations in the trailer include 10 Downing Street, the White Cliffs of Dover and the Statue of Liberty.

The popular sci-fi series features a Time Lord, known only as The Doctor, who travels through time and space in the Tardis, which resembles a 1960s police telephone box.

The main character has the ability to regenerate, a quirk that has allowed a number of actors to have played the role over the years.

Capaldi, who replaced Matt Smith as The Doctor, was previously best known for his role as foul-mouthed spin-doctor Malcolm Tucker in the BBC series The Thick of It.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZx4P6u3rzU

Doctor Who: New actor to be revealed after Wimbledon - BBC News

Curious Cdn
... and the new Dr. Who'll be a woman ... a black woman.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

She'll also be a Muslim, lesbian, paraplegic, vegetarian Remainer, knowing the modern BBC.

However, 44-year-old My Family and Death in Paradise star Kris Marshall is the favourite.

Danbones
Again we play dr WHO?

Corduroy
I thought the first two seasons with Peter Capaldi were a mess. Not his fault, but the story was just all over the place. They pulled it back from the Stephen Moffat-style high concept indulgence in the last season and it was pretty good. I'll miss Peter Capaldi. As an actor he could have had three great seasons but he only got one.

They've been really pushing the idea that the Doctor could regenerate into a woman, at least through the last two seasons. I don't care that much but if it's not a woman then what was the point of constantly reminding us it could be?

If it is a woman, I vote Olivia Colman.

Blackleaf
+1
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

I thought the first two seasons with Peter Capaldi were a mess. Not his fault, but the story was just all over the place. They pulled it back from the Stephen Moffat-style high concept indulgence in the last season and it was pretty good. I'll miss Peter Capaldi. As an actor he could have had three great seasons but he only got one.

They've been really pushing the idea that the Doctor could regenerate into a woman, at least through the last two seasons. I don't care that much but if it's not a woman then what was the point of constantly reminding us it could be?

If it is a woman, I vote Olivia Colman.

It'll be a woman. Considering how PC the current Doctor Who series are - lesbian aliens; a black, lesbian sidekick; a female Master (who is a bad Time Lord) - the new Doctor will be a black, burka-wearing, Muslim, lesbian, Guardian-reader with no arms and legs constantly wearing a "Tory scum!" badge and who constantly reminds us she's a vegetarian whose favourite food is kale pesto pasta washed down with Fairtrade coffee.

gopher
I thought the good Doctor and the Time Lords were allowed only 12 incarnations (?).

Danbones
bonus round

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

I thought the good Doctor and the Time Lords were allowed only 12 incarnations (?).

Well, he's only had 11 regenerations so far, and he's only allowed 12.

Of course, even though the fact that the Doctor can only regenerate 12 times is part of Doctor Who mythology, it is a rule which can easily be dismissed by the producers.

Established in The Deadly Assassin (1976), it has been known that the Doctor can only regenerate 12 times, or 13 incarnations of a Time Lord in total. We know that this can be challenged and that the High Council of Gallifrey can provide further regenerations to a Time Lord in times of need (such as what was offered to the Master in The Five Doctors if he agreed to help them track down the Doctor), and regenerations can even be used up by a Time Lord (or somebody with regenerative capabilities) to revive a dead Time Lord, such as what River Song did during the events of Letís Kill Hitler.

In Death of the Doctor (2010), an episode in Doctor Who spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures, the Eleventh Doctor says he can regenerate 507 times. He was granted a new cycle of regenerations by his missing Time Lord brethren (although we don't know how many he has in Doctor Who itself).

The Doctor has always regenerated into the form of a humanoid male. However, when explaining the process of regeneration to Rose at the end of "The Parting of the Ways", the Ninth Doctor suggests that his new form could have "two heads", or even "no head", and in the 2005 Children in Need special, which takes place immediately after that episode, the newly regenerated Tenth Doctor, while examining his new body, makes a point of checking that he has two arms, two legs and two hands, implying that regenerations can sometimes result in physically deformed or non-humanoid forms; it is not clear whether or not these two moments are intended as jokes.

The Doctor's regenerations

1. First Doctor (William Hartnell): "Renewed" by the TARDIS after collapsing from old age/exhaustion in The Tenth Planet .
  2. Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton): A "change in appearance" imposed by the Time Lords in The War Games as a penalty for repeated breaching of their law of non-intervention.
  3. Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee): Radiation poisoning on the planet Metebelis 3 in Planet of the Spiders .
  4. Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker): Falls from the Pharos Project radio telescope in Logopolis .
  5. Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison): Succumbs to spectrox toxaemia poisoning in The Caves of Androzani .
  6. Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker): Severely injured when the Rani's attack on the TARDIS causes it to crash in Time and the Rani .
  7. Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy): Shot by a San Francisco street gang in the 1996 TV film, he dies during surgery by doctors unfamiliar with his alien physiology, regenerating later in a morgue fridge (anaesthetic having slowed and nearly destroyed the process).
  8. Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann): Killed in a spaceship crash on the planet Karn in the mini-episode "The Night of the Doctor". Temporarily revived by the Sisterhood of Karn, he drinks a potion they have prepared, initiating regeneration to a form suitable to fight in the Time War.
  9. War Doctor (John Hurt): Regenerates from old age/exhaustion after the conclusion of the Time War in "The Day of the Doctor".
  10. Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston): Fatal cellular degeneration caused by absorbing the Time Vortex from Rose Tyler in "The Parting of the Ways".
  11. Tenth Doctor (David Tennant): Shot by a Dalek in "The Stolen Earth". Reluctant to change his appearance, he heals himself using some regeneration energy, directing the remainder into his severed hand in "Journey's End".
  12. Tenth Doctor (David Tennant): Absorbs a massive dose of radiation in place of Wilfred Mott in The End of Time .
  13. Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith): At the point of death from old age, he receives a new regeneration cycle from the Time Lords, allowing him to destroy the Daleks on Trenzalore and regenerate in "The Time of the Doctor".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regene...8Doctor_Who%29

spaminator
Capaldiís 'Doctor Who' replacement to be announced Sunday

Blackleaf
Pearl Mackie, who plays current companion Bill Potts, posted a picture of herself with a pink Tardis at Lovebox festival on Sunday, with the message: "Wonder who is inside..?!".

Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman

BBC News
16 July 2017

Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord will be Jodie Whittaker, star of ITV crime drama Broadchurch - the first woman to get role.

Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman - BBC News

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

You were half right.

Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman

BBC News
16 July 2017

Whittaker was announced in a trailer after the Wimbledon men's final

Jodie Whittaker has been announced as Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord - the first woman to get the role.

She was revealed in a trailer that was broadcast on BBC One at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final.

The Broadchurch star succeeds Peter Capaldi, who took the role in 2013 and leaves in this year's Christmas special.

Whittaker, 35, said it was "more than an honour" to become the Doctor.

She will make her debut on the sci-fi show when the Doctor regenerates in the Christmas Day show.

The Huddersfield-born star had become a late favourite to become the Doctor.

There will be a familiar face for her on set - Doctor Who's new showrunner is Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall.

She said: "I'm beyond excited to begin this epic journey - with Chris and with every Whovian on this planet.

"It's more than an honour to play the Doctor. It means remembering everyone I used to be, while stepping forward to embrace everything the Doctor stands for: hope. I can't wait."

'Number one choice'

Chibnall said the 13th Doctor was always going to be a woman.

He said: "I always knew I wanted the 13th Doctor to be a woman and we're thrilled to have secured our number one choice.

"Her audition for the Doctor simply blew us all away. Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role. The 13th Doctor is on her way."

Capaldi had said that he wanted to see a woman replace him in the Tardis.

Peter Capaldi will bow out in this year's Christmas special, featuring David Bradley as the First Doctor

He said: "Anyone who has seen Jodie Whittaker's work will know that she is a wonderful actress of great individuality and charm.

"She has above all the huge heart to play this most special part. She's going to be a fantastic Doctor."

Whittaker starred as Beth Latimer in the three series of the ITV crime drama Broadchurch as the mother of a murdered 11-year-old boy.

As well as TV work, Whittaker has appeared on the big screen, in One Day, Attack the Block and St Trinian's.

Whittaker starred as Beth Latimer in the three series of the ITV crime drama Broadchurch as the mother of a murdered 11-year-old boy

Another Broadchurch star, David Tennant, who plays Detective Inspector Alec Hardy, was the Tenth Doctor from 2005 to 2010

The trailer showed a hooded figure walking through woods, with birdsong and breath the only sounds heard. An empty palm was pictured, on which a key appeared - before Whittaker's face was glimpsed.

Viewers then saw her take off her hood, smile and walk towards the Tardis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ccj9LZhuvg

Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord to be a woman - BBC News
Last edited by Blackleaf; Jul 16th, 2017 at 11:33 AM..

justlooking
So, once again the BBC goes for the PC wemusthavediversityatallcosts option, and it will be the same result
as the Dykebusters and hiring a shouty ginger fag with an all PC crew for Top Gear.....

Ratings will plummet.

Good.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

So, once again the BBC goes for the PC wemusthavediversityatallcosts option, and it will be the same result
as the Dykebusters and hiring a shouty ginger fag with an all PC crew for Top Gear.....

Ratings will plummet.

Good.

And there's the Master - a baddie fellow Time Lord of the Doctor who always aims to control the universe - who, for years, has regenerated as a man or a monster but is now a woman who calls herself Missy...

... and that's before I even mention the Doctor's current companion, Bill Potts, who is a black lesbian...

Jinentonix
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

And there's the Master - a baddie fellow Time Lord of the Doctor who always aims to control the universe - who, for years, has regenerated as a man or a monster but is now a woman who calls herself Missy...

... and that's before I even mention the Doctor's current companion, Bill Potts, who is a black lesbian...

No kidding, if Dr. Who was a real person he'd be looking at humanity and thinking, "what da fuq happened???

You know, I don't necessarily have a problem with a female Dr. Who. For me it's, "Can I actually buy into that person playing the Doctor?" I can think of other women who would suit the role better. It's the same feeling I had about Capaldi. He was pretty good in some other roles but I was just having a hard time seeing him as a credible Dr. Who. I don't know why exactly, probably something more intangible than tangible.

DaSleeper
Something like a female James Bond.......I doubt that Roger Moore would agree with it!

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Jinentonix View Post

No kidding, if Dr. Who was a real person he'd be looking at humanity and thinking, "what da fuq happened???

You know, I don't necessarily have a problem with a female Dr. Who. For me it's, "Can I actually buy into that person playing the Doctor?" I can think of other women who would suit the role better. It's the same feeling I had about Capaldi. He was pretty good in some other roles but I was just having a hard time seeing him as a credible Dr. Who. I don't know why exactly, probably something more intangible than tangible.

It was Capaldi's lifelong ambition to play the Doctor. He was just hampered by a bad script littered with PC propaganda in many cases.

Danbones
The gal has the right "look".

Give her a chance before y'all Trump her down.

I'm guessing she will be a classic like Tom Baker the only other real Doctor Who.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbones View Post

The gal has the right "look".

Give her a chance before y'all Trump her down.

I'm guessing she will be a classic like Tom Baker the only other real Doctor Who.

He (and soon to be she) is a big fan of Jelly Babies. The Second Doctor started the trend of eating the sweets (one Doctor even offered one to an alien) and it has continued almost 50 years later, with Capaldi's Doctor eating them from time to time.

spaminator
13th Doctor Who is a woman | TV | Entertainment | Toronto Sun

Tecumsehsbones
Poor Blackshirt. The last shred of his masculinity has just been ripped away.

petros
If she is 14, he'll be okay with it.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Poor Blackshirt. The last shred of his masculinity has just been ripped away.

And why do you see that as a good thing?

Danbones
possibly misery likes company?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

And why do you see that as a good thing?

Because it's funny, watching a pathetic little would-be child molester like you lose what little masculinity you can muster.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Because it's funny, watching a pathetic little would-be child molester like you lose what little masculinity you can muster.

... makes a girl wanna pee from her vagina!

Corduroy
It's been a rough few years for fragile masculinity at least in the entertainment industry.

Blackleaf
Well, that's it. Today, in the episode "Twice Upon A Time", the Twelfth Doctor regenerated into the Thirteenth Doctor, meaning we now officially have a female doctor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNx9bzq1p4g

coldstream
I'd probably be a bit more upset about the scrambling original archetypes into absurd politically correct new forms. But i don't know if i've ever watched a full Dr. Who from start to finish. The original Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe and Lexx were more my style.. dark comedic surrealist fantasies. But they ended before the grip of BBC (or whoever) Standards and Practices wizards could get their grips on them and conform them to 'modern' sensibilities.
Last edited by coldstream; Dec 25th, 2017 at 04:06 PM..

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

I'd probably a bit upset about scrambling original archetypes into absurd politically correct new forms. But i don't know if i've ever watched a full Dr. Who from start to finish. The original Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe and Lexx were more my style.. dark comedic surrealist fantasies. But they ended before the grip of BBC (or whoever) Standards and Practices wizards could get their grips on them and conform them to 'modern' sensibilities.

A big PC bit of today's episode is when David Bradley, playing the First Doctor (who was originally played by William Hartnell from 1963 to 1966), said to the Thirteenth Doctor's assistant Bill Potts (who's a lesbian, of course): "I know women." And she said something like: "Yes? Well so do I."

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

The original Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe and Lexx were more my style.

But not enough so to inspire you to remember the title of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.