Tesla will reveal a semi truck in September


tay
#1
Tesla was not immediately available for additional comment. But the automaker has long planned to add both a semi truck and a pickup truck to its lineup of cars. Musk discussed both in the second volume of his " master plan " for Tesla.

"We believe the Tesla Semi will deliver a substantial reduction in the cost of cargo transport, while increasing safety and making it really fun to operate," Musk wrote in his plan.

Responding to questions on Twitter Thursday, the CEO also offered details on two more of the company's future models.

He said Tesla's next generation Roadster will be a convertible.

Elon Musk says Tesla will reveal a semi truck in September
 
Bar Sinister
#2
Tesla appears to be on a roll. Elon Musk's personal fortune is now large enough to buy General Motors.
 
mentalfloss
#3
Poor oil.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#4
Telsa ....Making money off stupid people.....
 
Curious Cdn
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Telsa ....Making money off stupid people.....

So, who makes the "Smart" cars? (not the little Mercedes wind-up toys)
 
DaSleeper
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

So, who makes the "Smart" cars? (not the little Mercedes wind-up toys)

Baah.....it's just one of those....but built for two and more expensive....

 
Johnnny
#7
If it wasn't for Rupert Murdoch we may have or may have never had the electric car already....


 
Liberalman
#8
No more truck stops
 
taxslave
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Poor oil.

This is good for oil. Aside from the fact that fuel is only a portion of what oil is used for the simple fact that the downtime required for recharging all those batteries makes them unusable except for limited delivery vehicles. Then there is the fact that all those tons of batteries required to get a days worth of running time takes away from payload. One thing it will do though is increase the demand for coal and NG fired power plants to charge them all.

Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

No more truck stops

Just million acre solar farms to charge them. Every 50 miles.
 
petros
+1
#10
Tesla is the most subsidized company in history.

$4.9 billion

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmul...mpanies-arent/
 
Johnnny
+2
#11  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

This is good for oil. Aside from the fact that fuel is only a portion of what oil is used for the simple fact that the downtime required for recharging all those batteries makes them unusable except for limited delivery vehicles. Then there is the fact that all those tons of batteries required to get a days worth of running time takes away from payload. One thing it will do though is increase the demand for coal and NG fired power plants to charge them all.



Just million acre solar farms to charge them. Every 50 miles.

Go easy on mentalfloss he propably couldnt change a tire unless he got the OnStar service to do it for him. :P
 
Angstrom
#12
With electricity production more and more dependent on fossil fuel, I can't see how this is a real solution to carbon from fossil fuel. It only shows the majority of humans can't visualize that powering their battery will only mean the same amount of fossil fuel being used to produce electricity then what used to be pumped straight into the car.

Instead of spreading the pollution everywhere where cars drive. A heavy amount of pollution will concentrate at the origins of the electricity production.
 
taxslave
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnnny View Post

Go easy on mentalfloss he propably couldnt change a tire unless he got the OnStar service to do it for him. :P

That would infer he ever leaves his parent's basement.

Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

With electricity production more and more dependent on fossil fuel, I can't see how this is a real solution to carbon from fossil fuel. It only shows the majority of humans can't visualize that powering their battery will only mean the same amount of fossil fuel being used to produce electricity then what used to be pumped straight into the car.

Instead of spreading the pollution everywhere where cars drive. A heavy amount of pollution will concentrate at the origins of the electricity production.

NAh they want to turn productive farmland into taxpayer subsidized solar farms.Or build nukes. I have found over the years that a good many anti oil activists are just shills for nuke power.
 
Angstrom
#14
How is turning the whole surface of the planet into a death star looking solar panel a solution to anything?

How many gas generators will be needed when nature decides to have a cloudy week?
 
petros
+1
#15
A volcano like St Helens or Pinatubo would really **** things up for the solar industry and those that rely on it.
 
DaSleeper
#16
In Canada in cold weather how long would the battery last supplying power and electric heat....?
A friend of mine has a hybrid and he has to run on the motor 6 months out of the year and his gas mileage over twelve months is worst than mine...
 
petros
#17
Why do you like drywall?
 
petros
#18
Only 2 posts and busted.
 
B00Mer
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

Telsa ....Making money off stupid people.....

So you're admitting to buying a Tesla now..
 
petros
#20
Doesn't Freightliner already have an electric tractor?
 
petros
#21
Thank you for your expertise and input.
 
Murphy
#22


The above looks like a covered one of the below.

 
Bar Sinister
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Angstrom View Post

With electricity production more and more dependent on fossil fuel, I can't see how this is a real solution to carbon from fossil fuel. It only shows the majority of humans can't visualize that powering their battery will only mean the same amount of fossil fuel being used to produce electricity then what used to be pumped straight into the car.

Instead of spreading the pollution everywhere where cars drive. A heavy amount of pollution will concentrate at the origins of the electricity production.

Actually green energy growth has outstripped fossil fuel growth over the last few years. Also, pollution never stay in one spot. It always spreads worldwide.

Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

In Canada in cold weather how long would the battery last supplying power and electric heat....?
A friend of mine has a hybrid and he has to run on the motor 6 months out of the year and his gas mileage over twelve months is worst than mine...


True enough. Batteries are going to have to improve a great deal before they can work well in all climates. However, there is huge research going into improved batteries. Sooner or later someone is going to get it right, especially as electric car companies like Tesla want their vehicles to replace all internal combustion engines.
 
tay
#24
Tesla Semi, an electric big rig truck with 500-mile range, rolls into reality


"Even with 80,000 pounds it'll get to 60 mph in 20 seconds," Musk said, hopping out of a truck. "What about up a hill?"

More significantly for trucking companies, Musk said that a standard diesel truck would be 20% more expensive to operate than a Tesla truck: $1.26 per mile compared to $1.51 per mile.

Musk said that if Tesla Semis were to drive in a convoy, in which trucks can draft off each other while letting computers and sensors keep them just feet apart at highway speeds, it could compete on cost with trains. "This beats rail," said Musk, throwing up an 85 cents per mile cost.

But Musk emphasized its performance. Tesla Trucks can hit 65 mph vs. 45 mph up a 5% grade compared to a standard truck, he said.

Then the biggest applause and hoots accompanied this stat: a 500-mile range, at maximum weight at highway speeds.

Investors were equally enthused. Shares (TSLA) rose 2% after trucking company J.B. Hunt Transport Services said Friday it had already placed an order for "multiple" Tesla Semis.

Musk hinted at a supercharger-less trip no recharges needed.

"You can go 250 miles, deliver your load and come back," he said. That said, charging to 80% would take only 30 minutes, "or about the time of the average driver break" on a new solar-powered Megacharger network.

video

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ity/873162001/
 
captain morgan
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by tay View Post

Musk said that if Tesla Semis were to drive in a convoy, in which trucks can draft off each other while letting computers and sensors keep them just feet apart at highway speeds

Can't see anything going wrong there
 
MHz
#26
When will they come out with a line of farm implements where the seed-drill uses it's own tires as the propulsion system and the electric tractor doesn't have to do all the work? Remote control so it could find their own way around the field would be an area they could explore as trucks won't be driving themselves anytime soon.
It should be possible to make the trailers have motors on each axle that helps on slippery roads as well as recharging the batteries when going down inclines

If the trailers were set up like a bob-sled you could have 5 trailers hooked together and the last trailers would be in the same tracks as the tractor set town. That might work on ice-roads and interstates if they were always tabletop smooth. Crossing the Rockies will end at the first big hill and it doesn't matter if it is going uphill or down other than one ends at the runaway lane. Powered trailers would be a different story as they would be in total control no matter which way the grade was going. Moving them around the depot would also be a lot easier as you would only need a remote
 
EagleSmack
+1
#27
More Cobalt!

 
MHz
+1
#28
Add in the air hammers and the unit pays for itself in the first month.
 
TenPenny
+1
#29
Based on Tesla's inability to meet any production targets or financial targets, I would take this with a very large grain of salt.
 
Hoid
#30
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...art-at-150000/

Tesla releases the price of their semis - $150K usd for the 300 mile mode; and $180 K usd for the 500 mile model.

Way cheaper than I would have guessed. The fuel savings will pay for that truck in 3 years.
 

Similar Threads

12
CFL Semi-Final Results
by Mowich | Nov 18th, 2009
0
Stoughton curls into Brier semi
by CBC News | Mar 9th, 2007
7