How law enforcement uses social media

LisaDe
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

No, just register the SIM. It would still allow a certain degree of anonymity on social media and still impose some effort on the police to identify you, but just not quite as much as is now the case if you use a registered SIM.

By the way, are you a French-speaker?

Not native. I speak French, at the intermediate level. Sadly, I'm one of those anglo's who grew up in an anglophone community in Quebec and didn't pick it up the way I should of.

Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

You've given me an entirely different perspective on the comportment of city people.

What do you mean?

You've given me an entirely different perspective on the comportment of city people.

What do you mean?

Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

I'm an urban male and I've always dressed modestly since as far back as I can remember.

totally lost on this lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by OpposingDigit View Post

All data collected by corporations or entities should be forced into storing it on servers situated within the country of origin. Canadians should not need to beg a U.S. justice system for redress. Plus; Canada could then have control of all data collected/shared.

There should be an option ..... pay for absolute privacy or not. I would have no problem paying FaceBook 50 bucks per year for privacy, just like I have no problem paying 50 bucks per year for virus protection.

But then wouldn't criminals have the same luxury? Some people post their killings up...I certainly wouldn't want the police to not gain access to a live murder on FaceBook.

Twin_Moose
Quote: Originally Posted by LisaDe View Post

even useless data? I think a lot of the time they just want to know what our fav restaurants are, or what shows we watch.

Your convoluting emails, personal data with open platforms like facebook, Travelocity, etc. the information provided in public forums IMO can be shared for marketing strategies, but not sold for spamming.

petros
+2

I'm fine with police forces using all legal means available to help catch criminals, warn the public of dangerous offenders let loose in their communities and issue alerts. Using social media to do so just makes sense.

I totally agree with you Mowich. I feel the same way.

For information as posted, yes, its great. Keep in mind they are not a news source. They have the potential to use and do use social media to and will only give the story the way they chose to tell it.

There is no one asking them questions the public has a Right to know.

LisaDe
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

For information as posted, yes, its great. Keep in mind they are not a news source. They have the potential to use and do use social media to and will only give the story the way they chose to tell it.

There is no one asking them questions the public has a Right to know.

that's true.

Curious Cdn

Not native. I speak French, at the intermediate level. Sadly, I'm one of those anglo's who grew up in an anglophone community in Quebec and didn't pick it up the way I should of.

You were probably taught Parisian French like I was. I learned proper Parisian French in the Protestant school system taught by Sephardic Jews from North Africa, for the most part. Quebecois "French" is damned near an alien tongue to it. I was never able to keep up there even though I have lived there twice for a total of almost three decades.

I found myself on St. Pierre/Michelon for a few days when I was in the Navy, though and suddenly, I understood everybody and could even converse comfortably. It was as if a curtain had opened and let the sun in.

Liberalman
police should continue to use social media just because criminals and pedophiles and terrorists use it and it's an easy and safe way of gaining important info to keep us safe.

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

police should continue to use social media just because criminals and pedophiles and terrorists use it and it's an easy and safe way of gaining important info to keep us safe.

Police are going to use whatever tools are at hand to get the job done ... hopefully legal ones.

hunterclail1221
I think it's a great idea but of course it should come with limitations, too. There might be some sort of a breach in privacy rights of users when there are no proper laws or rules that come with it. But from a perspective of safety and anti-crime reasons, it seems to be a pretty good idea.