You Can't Make This Shit Up -‘Eco-grief’ over climate change.

petros
+5
VANCOUVER—Claire Dooley was 13 when climate change first hit home. It was 2015, and the first year she saw the wildfire smoke blanketing her Vancouver neighbourhood.
“It was scary to look outside and see the smoke invading my childhood memories,” she said. “It’s everywhere in my hometown and the place I grew up, where all my childhood memories are — it’s almost claustrophobic.”
Now 16, Dooley has been increasingly worried about the changing climate, fearing the world may be completely different only a few years from now when she embarks upon adulthood.
“I think in today’s world of climate change, it’s terrifying to be growing up in it ... I just feel like it’s this thought that’s in my mind all the time,” she said. “I have two years until I graduate and it’s really hard to try and follow my dreams when I don’t know what the world will look like.”
Claire is one of a new generation determined to love the Earth while they can because they believe it will be gone all too soon. Climate change has created a generation that feels what experts are calling ‘ecological grief.’
More researchers have been looking into the psychological effects of climate change, especially since experts have warned that the cycle of fires and floods in B.C. appear to be here to stay. A 2017 recent study on health impacts of a smoky summer in Yellowknife showed that people demonstrated feelings of fear and isolation due to the rapidly changing climate, calling the feeling “ecological grief” over the loss of the environment they once knew.
Byran Buraga, a 19-year-old public policy student and former director of Kids for Climate Action, has seen the B.C. climate shift in a worrying direction in the past few years, and said he is “absolutely” concerned about climate change.
He grew up in Vancouver, and while he is now going to school in Montreal, he has returned to B.C. for the past two summers expecting a season of beautiful weather. But now memories of wildfire smoke are prominent in his mind, prompting fears that the summer climate in B.C. may be forever changed.
“This year, once again near the tail end of the summer, one the of last memories I had was super-smoky conditions and not being able to enjoy the B.C. environment,” he said. “I’m worried this indicates the start of a new pattern and it will affect the way of life and increased health problems for people.”
One of the things Buraga enjoyed was going out to Kitsilano Beach with his family. He worries those beach days may now be a rarity, for him and future generations.
“I liked just laying down a mat and taking in the sights in the water from the beach, having a nice picnic and seeing the view,” he said. “But because of the wildfires, there’s no more sun and you can’t do that. Those experiences of going out to enjoy nature, I’m worried I won’t be able to share that with my kids.”
Dooley’s view of the world is wildly different from just two generations before, when the major generational fear was the threat of nuclear invasion. Jean Swanson, a 75-year old anti-pipeline protester and Vancouver city-council candidate, said that climate change is one of the many issues that the current generation has inherited from the past.
https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/20...olumbians.html
Its no wonder why kids today are so f-cked up, their parents are f-cked up.

taxslave
+5
That is hoid's generation. Never occurred to the kids that the fires are largely the result of letting ecotards set forestry policy instead of loggers. When we did slash Burns and replanted large blocks instead of little cutblocks and no clean up we never had the scale of fire we have today. Also around 40% are human caused every year now. People that profess a desire to be one with nature seem to have an uncanny ability to destroy it.

Mowich
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

VANCOUVER—Claire Dooley was 13 when climate change first hit home. It was 2015, and the first year she saw the wildfire smoke blanketing her Vancouver neighborhood.
“It was scary to look outside and see the smoke invading my childhood memories,” she said. “It’s everywhere in my hometown and the place I grew up, where all my childhood memories are — it’s almost claustrophobic.”
Now 16, Dooley has been increasingly worried about the changing climate, fearing the world may be completely different only a few years from now when she embarks upon adulthood.
“I think in today’s world of climate change, it’s terrifying to be growing up in it ... I just feel like it’s this thought that’s in my mind all the time,” she said. “I have two years until I graduate and it’s really hard to try and follow my dreams when I don’t know what the world will look like.”
Claire is one of a new generation determined to love the Earth while they can because they believe it will be gone all too soon. Climate change has created a generation that feels what experts are calling ‘ecological grief.’
More researchers have been looking into the psychological effects of climate change, especially since experts have warned that the cycle of fires and floods in B.C. appear to be here to stay. A 2017 recent study on health impacts of a smoky summer in Yellowknife showed that people demonstrated feelings of fear and isolation due to the rapidly changing climate, calling the feeling “ecological grief” over the loss of the environment they once knew.
Byran Buraga, a 19-year-old public policy student and former director of Kids for Climate Action, has seen the B.C. climate shift in a worrying direction in the past few years, and said he is “absolutely” concerned about climate change.
He grew up in Vancouver, and while he is now going to school in Montreal, he has returned to B.C. for the past two summers expecting a season of beautiful weather. But now memories of wildfire smoke are prominent in his mind, prompting fears that the summer climate in B.C. may be forever changed.
“This year, once again near the tail end of the summer, one the of last memories I had was super-smoky conditions and not being able to enjoy the B.C. environment,” he said. “I’m worried this indicates the start of a new pattern and it will affect the way of life and increased health problems for people.”
One of the things Buraga enjoyed was going out to Kitsilano Beach with his family. He worries those beach days may now be a rarity, for him and future generations.
“I liked just laying down a mat and taking in the sights in the water from the beach, having a nice picnic and seeing the view,” he said. “But because of the wildfires, there’s no more sun and you can’t do that. Those experiences of going out to enjoy nature, I’m worried I won’t be able to share that with my kids.”
Dooley’s view of the world is wildly different from just two generations before, when the major generational fear was the threat of nuclear invasion. Jean Swanson, a 75-year old anti-pipeline protester and Vancouver city-council candidate, said that climate change is one of the many issues that the current generation has inherited from the past.
https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/20...olumbians.html
Its no wonder why kids today are so f-cked up, their parents are f-cked up.

So one thinks the Earth will disappear and the other is convinced the sun already has. Gotcha.

pgs
+3
None of these kids spent there summer months at the lake me thinks .75 year old. Jean Swanson is conveniently leaving out the fog and smog I grew up in in the lower mainland .Do any of you remember expo 86 and Vedder mountain fire ? Thought not we were all enjoying expo well the smoke was blown inland .

petros
+2
I do. Very well. When I rode my bicycle it tasted like I ate a pack of matches when I got home.

petros
+3
It's funny how poor Claire has seen snow 3 more times than the generation before her.

captain morgan
+3
Gosh, I sure hope that this rash of eco-grief in Vancouver doesn't lead to a prolonged period of ghg emitting climate depression followed by carbon-intensive suicides.

That would be bad

petros
+3
Wait until it sets in that they live in one of the biggest clear cuts on the planet.

captain morgan
+3
They will conveniently forget that wee little fact

Twin_Moose
+4
I think they should start playing Smokey the Bear videos again to understand how forest fires start and what you can do to prevent them

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

That is hoid's generation. Never occurred to the kids that the fires are largely the result of letting ecotards set forestry policy instead of loggers. When we did slash Burns and replanted large blocks instead of little cutblocks and no clean up we never had the scale of fire we have today. Also around 40% are human caused every year now. People that profess a desire to be one with nature seem to have an uncanny ability to destroy it.

Smokers gotta smoke.

petros
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

I think they should start playing Smokey the Bear videos again to understand how forest fires start and what you can do to prevent them

Or use Smokey's shovel to beat some sense into them.

captain morgan
+3

or use smokey's shovel to beat some sense into them.

+10,000,000

Tecumsehsbones

Or use Smokey's shovel to beat some sense into them.

And then beat on some Induns, just cuz.

Right, petros?

Danbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

And then beat on some Induns, just cuz. Right, petros?

Them Indunians been beating on themselves!!!!

petros
+5

Right, petros?

Just you but that's not being nice to the shovel.

Ron in Regina
+6
#17  Top Rated Post
It's Sept 5th & we had record breaking frost in Saskatchewan last night due to Global Warming/Cooling/Change, or maybe weather.

petros
+1
2 weeks early.

justlooking
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

It's Sept 5th & we had record breaking frost in Saskatchewan last night due to Global Warming/Cooling/Change, or maybe weather.

Lots of early snow in the Rockies and Alps as well.

Funny how the MSM never picks up that story, it all stays as local news.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

As they should, weather is local.

Twin_Moose
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in Regina View Post

Mother nature reacting to the news of the Carbon tax is going to save the planet ROFLMAO

petros
+1
Evidence of over taxation.

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by justlooking View Post

Doesn't fit the story line.

captain morgan
+1

Right, petros?

Any thoughts on a trestle here?..... Anyone?

Mowich
+1
I'm still bugged about the article, pete. The author interviewed two - 2 people and now we have a new malady called 'eco-grief'? Seriously, I think this is no more than a conspiracy by a bunch of out of work psychiatrists looking to haul in some patients. And you know what else? It would work. I envision lines of the weak-minded, soft-spined, easily indoctrinated types lining up by the hundreds right now.

pgs
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

I'm still bugged about the article, pete. The author interviewed two - 2 people and now we have a new malady called 'eco-grief'? Seriously, I think this is no more than a conspiracy by a bunch of out of work psychiatrists looking to haul in some patients. And you know what else? It would work. I envision lines of the weak-minded, soft-spined, easily indoctrinated types lining up by the hundreds right now.

Sensationalism from the press , is that anything new ?