One of Russia's missiles is missing and it could be a secret nuclear disaster

White_Unifier
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/sept...ster-1.4804901

I don't think the Russians would be that foolish... I hope the Russians weren't that foolish... Please tell me the Russians weren't that foolish!

Twin_Moose
How would a nuclear power plant work exactly is it a small steam plant?

White_Unifier
Quote: Originally Posted by Twin_Moose View Post

I'm not sure. Of course the report is as yet unconfirmed, so there is still hope that it's an incorrect report. If true though, given the risks involved, what would have given the Russians the foolish idea of building a nuclear-powered missile?

MHz

I believe they can build them so the roof stays on and the 'core' is driven at high-speed into the crust during a meltdown. The salt water is used for cooling only, the water that is turned into steam is 'heavy water'. I assume it would never get iced in.

Does it reach 'floating speed'?

MHz
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

I'm not sure. Of course the report is as yet unconfirmed, so there is still hope that it's an incorrect report. If true though, given the risks involved, what would have given the Russians the foolish idea of building a nuclear-powered missile?

If it is at high altitude the air is -100C so how much does it have to be heated up to give the needed thrust. It can go the speed of a galloping goose instead of mach 16. Loitering and as visible as a speck of dust like the Arrow III is supposed to be able to do.

MHz
+1
#6  Top Rated Post

Heating the air so some element that burns hot when exposed to 'high volumes' of air. If it can vaporize water vapor that is high quality fuel all by itself.

MHz

The Kursk was an attempt to have a whole sub do what the 200mph torpedoes do. To do that they have to be n-powered.

You would think the 'fuel' would be easy to locate even if retrieval required building a new road or just wait for frost.

petros
And they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went and they went.

taxslave
+1

It is not foolish at all.Has tremendous range and since it is carrying a nuculer warhead it will all go up in one big bang so no one will get to reverse engineering it.

Hoid
people are freaking out about a missile with a nuc reactor on it?

do they understand that those submarines up there looking for the thing are powered by reactors?Do they understand that russian nuclear subs are already decaying on the ocean floor?