Ontario gas plant cancellation bill climbs to $585 million

Locutus
Thanks dalty.

TORONTO - Ontarians will pay at least $585 million to not build gas plants in Oakville and Mississauga.

Premier Kathleen Wynne wouldn't apologize for the debacle Tuesday, but said she is frustrated with the process that led to the siting of the plants in unwelcoming communities.

"I regret the situation and I have said that I take responsibility to make sure this never happens again," Wynne said during an appearance before the Ontario Standing Committee on Justice Policy.

The premier said she was unaware of the cost when her government cancelled the Oakville plant in 2010 and the Mississauga plant in 2011, and instead depended on the Ontario Power Authority (OPA) to later provide the numbers.

more

Sun News : Ontario gas plant cancellation bill climbs to $585 million

SLM
No Party Affiliation
What's clear to me is that we all need to pitch in to buy the government, all governments,really large and powerful magnifying glasses so that they may actually read the fine print, specifically the cancellation clauses and their penalties, prior to signing these contracts.

Oh but what the hell eh? It's only money!

Tecumsehsbones
I'd be happy to not build y'all a gas plant for half price.

Walter
+1
#4  Top Rated Post
$600,000,000.00, who cares. Ford is fat.

B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
Isn't Ontario broke.. worse that Greece.. who going to pay for this?? More taxes?? Alberta??

Fraser Institute likens Ontario to Greece, California as debt climbs | Canada | News | National Post

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Maybe they can nationalize the remains of Ontario Hydro.

B00Mer
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Maybe they can nationalize the remains of Ontario Hydro.

sell it to the Chinese..

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

sell it to the Chinese..

Conservative Ontario already sold it to the for profit sector. That's why Industry can't afford Hydro. McGuinty's error came in not locating the plants in a non-NIMBY area in order to regain a competitive advantage a Conservative government fought for in 1906 - the Ontario Hydro-Electric Power Commission

Trex
I am pretty sure that Harper and Flaherty are at the root of it all.

Durry
You easterners can't get anything right, can you ?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

We shipped you outa here didn't we?

Quote: Originally Posted by Trex View Post

Actually, Harris.... Six letters, starts with H, tyrant....

Mowich
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

Us Westerners don't always do either, Durry. BC is still in hock to the Feds over the HST fiasco..........I forget how many millions of dollars we owe them.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by Trex View Post

Don't forget Harris and Leslie Frost.