Canada is the only oil-producer being bullied from global market

Locutus
+1
just part of the problem...that and a delusional fool being duped by a toxic group of in-house idealists is another.

Let’s be frank: Building pipelines is about breaking the U.S.
monopoly on energy exports from Western Canada. If Canada builds
pipelines to tidewater and gains access to overseas markets, the
United States loses its exclusive access on Canadian energy exports.
Lacking pipelines to ocean ports, Canada has had only one
potential customer: the United States. This has benefited the
U.S. because it forced the sale of Alberta oil at prices that are
lower than the U.S. would pay elsewhere.

How things can change – and fast. In just a few years, we
have gone from talk of “peak oil” at $200 per barrel to “peak
demand” and oil priced as low as $20 because today’s oil market is
over-supplied. Low prices have put many oil producing countries
on the brink. The only oil exporting country that can be bullied
out of the global oil market without risking civil unrest, is Canada.
Given the international dimensions of the oil market, it is
important to note that the anti-pipeline activism against Alberta
oil is heavily funded by sources outside of Canada.

Anti-pipeline activism is not like the environmental protests
of the 1990s which were run by volunteers with very little outside
funding or none at all. Today’s protests are staged as part of a
professionally organized campaign, run by paid employees at
charities and non-profits with funding from billionaire philan thropists
in the U.S. This concerted effort is referred to by its funders
as “The Tar Sands Campaign.”

From Neil Young concerts to First Nations lawsuits, The
Tar Sands Campaign is centrally planned and coordinated by
NetChange, a private company run by Jason Mogus. From his
home office in a tree house on Salt Spring Island, Jason Mogus
and his employees do ghost-writing and provide communica tions
back-up to more than 60 environmental groups and First
Nations involved in the Tar Sands Campaign.

Mogus’s job, he says, is to create “the appearance of a move ment.”
Here’s his description of the campaign against Keystone
XL: “Inside/outside was totally coordinated. Not an inch of
daylight. Major aligned channels. Major inside game.” That is a
description of a professional show, not an amateur operation.
Let’s be clear: The goal of The Tar Sands Campaign is nothing
short of thwarting the development of the oil sands and stop ping
export of Alberta oil by pipeline, rail and tanker.

Re-routing pipelines and capping emissions to appease activists is a fool’s
errand because the Tar Sands Campaign doesn’t seek to optimize
or improve oil sands operations. Rather, this campaign aims at
nothing short of restricting the industry’s growth and stopping
overseas exports altogether.

According to strategy documents produced as part of The
Tar Sands Campaign, two of the main allegations cited in its
rationale are: 1) carbon emissions produced from oil sands
operations are three to four times higher than conventional oil.

more

http://landman.ca/wp/wp-content/uplo...negotiator.pdf

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
Being a big pushover will result in being pushed over. Good on America for saying enough is enough.

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+1
Kinder Morgan I agree with they have a track record and over all a good one.
Enbridge in the north i am opposed to for the reason this company does not
have a good track record and they are in my view somewhat deceitful in their
promotion of Northern Gateway from the beginning
Yes we need to find our own independent market not connected to the US that
is the reason I have always been opposed to XL its a feeder for American profits
not in our national interests.
Maybe its time to say Canada First in response to Trump. We sell our energy for
a Canadian advantage price and export at a much higher price to the world

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
What's good for America has always been good for Canada. It has a compounding effect. Canada will shine or rot based on America does good or bad. It's hard to take anyone who wishes America to do badly seriously. Our success will always be tied to the success of America. If you can't understand that, You definitely have no idea @ how the world works.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
Where did this fantasy that Canada has any control over our petroleum resources pop up from? The Americans take what they need at bargain basement prices, then refine it elsewhere, creating American jobs and denying Canadians a chance at them.

coldstream
+2
#6  Top Rated Post
My problem with Canada's pipline policies is they are aimed at exporting unrefined product to foreign refineries, entrenching a colonial status of exporting unprocessed natural resources and shipping jobs and tax revenues off shore.

Fix that, and open up mulitiple competitive markets for our product, and establish reliable environmental safeguards, and they would have my support. In fact i would support the nationalization and public ownership of the resouce, primary processing, and pipelines.. as EVERY major oil exporting nation has already done.

mentalfloss
Harper's fault.

He's the free trade capitalist.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

My problem with Canada's pipline policies is they are aimed at exporting unrefined product to foreign refineries, entrenching a colonial status of exporting unprocessed natural resources and shipping jobs and tax revenues off shore.

Fix that, and open up mulitiple competitive markets for our product, and establish reliable environmental safeguards, and they would have my support. In fact i would support the nationalization and public ownership of the resouce, primary processing, and pipelines.. as EVERY major oil exporting nation has already done.

SO when and where are you building a refinery?

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Harper's fault.

He's the free trade capitalist.

Retard.

Angstrom
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstream View Post

We are a provincial colonial country. We don't even have enough population to be considered anything else. And to make things even worse we have that small population spread out in the biggest country in the world.

let's start by solving our horrible birth rates.

tay
Quote: Originally Posted by Locutus View Post

just part of the problem...that and a delusional fool being duped by a toxic group of in-house idealists is another.

So Trudeau has approved 2 pipelines and say's he's on board for Trumps approval of the Keystone XL.
The enviro's are calling him a delusional fool for saying these approvals are good for Canada.
Might be time to read updated articles.........

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
+1
Pipelines may not be great for the environment but moving petroleum by rail appears to be far more damaging and dangerous and that is what is going to happen if pipeline aren't built. The oil is going to move one way or another and pipelines are the lesser of several evils.

MHz
+1
Plus pipelines can be routed around town while trains rumble right through the center of many towns. That being said it would revive the call for small towns but some elevators would hold petroleum products.
Should hemp ever become a viable crop the need for gasoline will decrease while the consumption of NG will be be the growth sector of that industry. small gas turbine engines would create the demand for ceramics and it would be a boom to Canada if the best material happened to wet clay that is most often called 'gumbo'. Anybody know the boiling point of NG and the flashpoint temp tot it past that point??

Pipelines also don't go right through the middle of town either. Perhaps the solution is to build a new freight line where the pipe is buried on each side of rails. The old route can be used for passenger service just because they do run to even the smallest towns, some are almost deserted. Ready for even the hardest refugee as it would not be hard to make it an open prison where where the criminal gets his whole immediate family thrown in with them and if the crime is bad enough, or 5rd time.
Most of those places are between two Reservations so you can imagine how the 3rd or 4th generation will be like. To get a good mix you don't let them bunch up to where they don't can get along speaking a language that would be foreign to their neighbors. The old prejudices are the part that won't be missed.
Spanish should be our 2nd language if we are from the Americas.

Curious Cdn
No Party Affiliation
... Si ...

bobnoorduyn
Free Thinker
...До...Opps, my bad