TDSB teacher posts explicit sex-ed brochures in Grade 7-8 class


Locutus
#1
TORONTO - Warning: Graphic Content

A Toronto public school teacher has been ordered to work from home after posting explicit sex-education brochures in his Grade 7 and 8 classroom.


Toronto District School Board (TDSB) officials are investigating why the teacher at Delta alternative school created a bulletin board in his class in October that included a poster with tips on how men can safely perform oral sex with one another.


That brochure can be found in a number of the city’s gay bars and bath house and isn’t intended for school-aged children.


Published by the AIDS Committee of Toronto (ACT), it’s entitled “Use Your Head When Giving It: Blow Job Tips” and offers advice for gay men on safe sex.


more


TDSB teacher posts explicit sex-ed brochures in Grade 7-8 class | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun
 
Walter
#2
Homosexuals; what ya gonna do?
 
L Gilbert
+2
#3
Probably nothing most of the kids didn't know about in the first place, kids being kids. Easier access to info provided by search engines on the net and all that. But sex is a topic that should be dealt with between parents and kids, not schools, IMO.

Wally, heterosexuals produce homosexuals. Live with it.
 
Walter
-1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

heterosexuals produce homosexuals. Live with it.

Homosexuals choose to be what they are as we all do.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Homosexuals choose to be what they are as we all do.

When did you choose to be heterosexual, Walmart? (Assuming you are.)
 
L Gilbert
+2
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Homosexuals choose to be what they are as we all do.

According to your opinion, perhaps. According to research, your opinion is out-to-lunch.
 
karrie
+2
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Homosexuals choose to be what they are as we all do.


That's been found by psychology to be untrue. Only bisexuals can choose to be one or the other. homosexual or heterosexually inclined individuals can't just decide. While for you the idea of man or woman are apparently an equal choice, my husband for example, is hetero, there's no option for him. He's stuck with women.
 
SLM
+1
#8
I don't quite get why so many think this information would be beyond the comprehension or relevance to 7th & 8th graders. Perhaps they feel it's best to wait until all the kids are actively engaging in sexual activity before presenting them with information?

Oh and some people don't grasp sexual orientation. Shocker.

What I want to know is, how the hell does a school teacher work from home? What, are they even too afraid to say 'suspended with pay' now?
 
karrie
+2
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post


What I want to know is, how the hell does a school teacher work from home? What, are they even too afraid to say 'suspended with pay' now?

When he's been 'suspended' for posting homosexual material, yeah, they're probably pretty afraid of what they say and how they say it.
 
SLM
+1
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

When he's been 'suspended' for posting homosexual material, yeah, they're probably pretty afraid of what they say and how they say it.

Kind of says it all right there doesn't it? The material is either too explicit or it's not, irrespective of whether it's homosexual, heterosexual or bisexual. To express that the material is too explicit and then to try to sugar coat it in such a way implies that it's solely due to being homosexual in nature, when it may not be. I don't know that to be fact, I'm just speculating that were it an ad about a female performing fellatio upon a male, the reaction would have been the same. Should have been the same.

It's like they're taking a mountain, trying to disguise it as a mole hill, and then making a mountain out of that.
 
karrie
+5
#11  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I don't quite get why so many think this information would be beyond the comprehension or relevance to 7th & 8th graders. Perhaps they feel it's best to wait until all the kids are actively engaging in sexual activity before presenting them with information?

Maybe it's me being a naïve mom, but, it would be way over my daughter's head (grade 7), to the point of mortifying her, which would prevent her absorbing to the rest of the information she does need. That's the problem with deciding to give graphic content to a broad audience of someone else's children. Given the availability of content online right now, I've even gone so far with my kids as to say, 'and if there's something you need to know that I haven't covered, use Google'. But that puts it in their hands, not being forcefed to them.

Another really big concern, is that it is a perversion for some people, to want to expose children to graphic content. Showing children pornography is often a stepping stone for pedophilic behaviour, it is 'grooming' behaviour.

Had one of my kids' teachers decided to go rogue and give them content like this, you betcha I'd be pushing to have them reviewed.

Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I'm just speculating that were it an ad about a female performing fellatio upon a male, the reaction would have been the same. Should have been the same.
.

From my perspective, I'd react the same to it whether it was about male or female oral sex, if it was designed for adults.

The only reason that it being targeted to the homosexual community even registers with me is that it would make it easier for him to argue that as the basis of his firing, and not the sexual content.

CATIE Ordering Centre / CATIE Centre de distribution

Here's a link to the pamphlet btw.

A straight version, gay version, wouldn't have mattered.... grade 7 and 8 kids don't need 'good head' tips.
 
SLM
+3
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

Maybe it's me being a naïve mom, but, it would be way over my daughter's head (grade 7), to the point of mortifying her, which would prevent her absorbing to the rest of the information she does need. That's the problem with deciding to give graphic content to a broad audience of someone else's children. Given the availability of content online right now, I've even gone so far with my kids as to say, 'and if there's something you need to know that I haven't covered, use Google'. But that puts it in their hands, not being forcefed to them.

I'm sure it would be embarrassing but I keep flashing back to where I was in the 8th grade. Now, for sure none of the kids then had the all the right information but they did have a hell of a lot more information than the pittance we got in Sex Ed. To be honest, I don't really think that slapping up a poster like that is the right thing to do for kids, even for teens. At those ages, they all develop so differently, physically, emotionally, psychologically, sexually. What I do like about it though is the frankness of it. That's the piece that was missing in our Sex Ed classes, treat it like it is, encourage mature conversation about it, even though it may be an uphill battle.

Quote:

Another really big concern, is that it is a perversion for some people, to want to expose children to graphic content. Showing children pornography is often a stepping stone for pedophilic behaviour, it is 'grooming' behaviour.

Yeah, I don't honestly see that here though really. I could be wrong, but it's just not how I read the situation. I just think we need to be more open, not necessarily graphic, but honest, forthright, frank about sexual and reproductive health with our kids.

Quote:

From my perspective, I'd react the same to it whether it was about male or female oral sex, if it was designed for adults.

That right there is it for me, in a nutshell. It was designed for adults. Not the information, frankly the sooner kids have information drummed into them about STDs the better, but the packaging was completely inappropriate.

What I think is a shame though is that this is going to be about the firing or suspension of a gay man (in other words a 'gay issue', which it really isn't in my books) as opposed to being the bridge to opening the discussion about how we should impart this very important information to our kids.
 
Sal
+2
#13
yes and he may have known some of the kids were struggling with these issues so responded thus... a shame really because now it will be about butt covering as various parents wig out
 
taxslave
+3
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Homosexuals choose to be what they are as we all do.

BS. Nobody chooses their sexual orientation. That is a myth perpetuated by religious perverts. It is the same as hair or eye colour or being left handed. You just born that way.
 
SLM
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

yes and he may have known some of the kids were struggling with these issues so responded thus... a shame really because now it will be about butt covering as various parents wig out

Well, the specific material he chose was not one that I would have selected. I think there is frank information out there that is geared more towards the age group, this one was more geared towards adults. But it should most definitely be a topic of discussion in sex ed classes, fellatio I mean, perhaps just not in a "tips on" kind of way, lol. I can remember a while back a whole lot of press about young girls being peer pressured into it, all the while not really understanding what it was all about. So yeah, bj's do need to be a topic of conversation in sex ed classes.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

BS. Nobody chooses their sexual orientation. That is a myth perpetuated by religious perverts. It is the same as hair or eye colour or being left handed. You just born that way.

Well I do make conscious choice to change my hair colour from grey, lol. But I don't think that's quite what you meant.
 
Walter
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

When did you choose to be heterosexual, Walmart? (Assuming you are.)

Puberty.

Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

According to your opinion, perhaps. According to research, your opinion is out-to-lunch.

You can believe the research you want and I'll believe the research I want. It's all about choice.
 
Sal
+1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Puberty.

You can believe the research you want and I'll believe the research I want. It's all about choice.

so are you saying that you were attracted to both males and females and decided to choose females?
 
L Gilbert
+3 / -1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

You can believe the research you want and I'll believe the research I want. It's all about choice.

Yep. Apparently I chose scientific research and you chose religious research (someone said that some god said ...).
 
karrie
+1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

What I think is a shame though is that this is going to be about the firing or suspension of a gay man (in other words a 'gay issue', which it really isn't in my books) as opposed to being the bridge to opening the discussion about how we should impart this very important information to our kids.


I think the discussion about how to impart SOME of that information is already fairly open. Talking with kids about safe sex, clean sex, and respectful sex, should pretty much cover the bases for any variants they want to engage in, and all of it's already fairly well covered. We don't have to hold their hands for each any every act they choose to engage in, and spell it all out for them. Frankly, that would be kind of intrusive. Part of a healthy sex life is the discovery of it.
 
L Gilbert
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

I think the discussion about how to impart SOME of that information is already fairly open. Talking with kids about safe sex, clean sex, and respectful sex, should pretty much cover the bases for any variants they want to engage in, and all of it's already fairly well covered. We don't have to hold their hands for each any every act they choose to engage in, and spell it all out for them. Frankly, that would be kind of intrusive. Part of a healthy sex life is the discovery of it.

Good points. O might add that discovery is also part of the fun. lol
 
karrie
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Good points. O might add that discovery is also part of the fun. lol

when talking about sex, fun and healthy are synonymous.
 
L Gilbert
+2
#22
Doing it , even more so.
 
Walter
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

so are you saying that you were attracted to both males and females and decided to choose females?

No. I'm saying that when I became sexually aware I chose to get excited about the female body and having an intimate relation with a female. Nurture has a lot to do with it, too.
Last edited by Walter; May 7th, 2013 at 08:15 PM..
 
Sal
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

No. I'm saying that when I became sexually aware I chose to get excited about the female body and having an intimate relation with a female. Nurture has a lot to do with it too.

okay because I didn't choose and in those days lesbians were frowned upon so even though I was attracted to males naturally I was terrified I might secretly be a lesbian.

I think men with that type of fear in those days got rough and tough and mean, and that was how their fear came out.

In actuality sexual attraction is a continuum and we are all somewhere on that scale and we may even slide a bit depending upon where we are.

The sexual continuum ranges from 0, for those who would identify themselves as exclusively heterosexual to 6, for those who would identify themselves as exclusively homosexual and 1-5 for those who would identify themselves with varying levels of desire or sexual activity with either sex. In most recent years, sexologists have incorporated a 7 to the scale to include those who identify themselves as asexual.


  • 0 – Exclusively heterosexual
  • 1 – Predominantly heterosexual
  • 2 – Mostly heterosexual
  • 3 – Bisexual, equally heterosexual and homosexual
  • 4 – Mostly homosexual
  • 5 – Predominantly homosexual
  • 6 – Exclusively homosexual
  • 7 or X – Asexual, Non-Sexual
 
L Gilbert
+2
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

No. I'm saying that when I became sexually aware I chose to get excited about the female body and having an intimate relation with a female. Nurture has a lot to do with it, too.

Funny, when my hormones kicked in, I had no choice whatsoever; girls just got a rise out of me.
Oh, thanks for the reddie. I guess I was right on with my previous reply to you.
 
karrie
+3
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

No. I'm saying that when I became sexually aware I chose to get excited about the female body and having an intimate relation with a female. Nurture has a lot to do with it, too.

You can't have chosen without wanting both.

If all you ever wanted was women, there was no choice involved.
 
gerryh
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

No. I'm saying that when I became sexually aware I chose to get excited about the female body and having an intimate relation with a female. Nurture has a lot to do with it, too.


So, you sat there and said...... wht do I want to do, have a relationship with a male or a female. I'll choose female. So, why did you make the "choice" you made?
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+3 / -1
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Homosexuals choose to be what they are as we all do.

Whatever. Just because you are an inept bigoted moron (is that by choice or were you born that way) does not mean that Gays choose to be gay. I bet you dream about taking one in the a$$ every night and just act out here to hide your true feelings.
 
Nuggler
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

I don't quite get why so many think this information would be beyond the comprehension or relevance to 7th & 8th graders. Perhaps they feel it's best to wait until all the kids are actively engaging in sexual activity before presenting them with information?

Oh and some people don't grasp sexual orientation. Shocker.

What I want to know is, how the hell does a school teacher work from home? What, are they even too afraid to say 'suspended with pay' now?

..........Zactly !!.........Beat me to it again, SLM..........stop that............or you will have to post from home.............

Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_Soldier View Post

Whatever. Just because you are an inept bigoted moron (is that by choice or were you born that way) does not mean that Gays choose to be gay. I bet you dream about taking one in the a$$ every night and just act out here to hide your true feelings.


BIG GREENIE...........

----------------------------

Damn I love irony............................female irony that is.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#30
So, the dittoheads are outraged again? Stop the presses.
 

Similar Threads

11
grade 6 class shown porn clip
by spaminator | Dec 20th, 2009
8
Teacher fights to take gun to class
by hermanntrude | Sep 19th, 2007