Ontario to Repeal G20 Stop and Search Law


mentalfloss
#1
Ontario to repeal law used to stop and search people during G20 summit




TORONTO — Ontario will repeal the controversial wartime legislation that, according to the country's largest rights watchdog, resulted in countless violations of civil liberties during last summer's G20 summit in downtown Toronto.

Jim Bradley, minister of community safety, announced the changes Thursday morning, just as the province released a report into the Public Works Protection Act (PWPA) by former chief justice Roy McMurtry.

In his report, McMurtry calls the legislation "overly broad and vague" and says it fails to strike a balance between police powers and individual liberties. "The vagueness of the PWPA permits it to be used in situations when it is arguably not necessary and potentially abusive," McMurtry writes. "In my view, the PWPA has been used for purposes beyond its original intent."

The law allows any guard or peace officer to "search, without warrant, any person entering or attempting to enter a public work" and to demand the name, address and purpose of any such person.

In June, the provincial Liberal cabinet quietly signed an order labelling a large swath of downtown Toronto streets a "public work," thereby granting police those extraordinary powers in a limited geographical area.

Nathalie Des Rosiers, general counsel of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, said that move created a general air of confusion among both the public and the police over just what rights existed.
"It gave them the wrong message they could search, stop, arrest, demand identification from anyone anywhere in the city of Toronto during that week," Des Rosiers said in an interview. "Police went way beyond the intent of the act in using it outside the perimeter that had been identified."

The PWPA was enacted by the province in 1939 after the federal government refused a request by the province to provide military personnel to guard its hydroelectric stations. The government of the day was concerned those generators would be targeted by Nazi saboteurs.

It is primarily used today to give courthouse security guards permission to conduct searches. Since 9/11 it has also been used by Ontario Power Generation to secure its power generating facilities. No other jurisdiction in Canada has similar legislation.

McMurtry recommended that the emergency legislation be replaced with "specific and direct" laws targeted at securing courts and generating stations.

Bradley said the government will not have time to draft the new legislation before this fall's provincial election. He also refused a request by the Canadian Civil Liberties Association for a full public inquiry on the issue.


Des Rosiers said the Canadian Civil Liberties Association was nevertheless pleased with the government's decision to scrap the legislation.

Her organization is proceeding with a class-action lawsuit stemming from the G20 weekend against the Toronto Police Services Board and the attorney general of Canada.

Read more: Ontario to repeal law used to stop and search people during G20 summit
 
Unforgiven
#2
What and let people just protest!
 
In Between Man
Free Thinker
-2
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

What and let people just protest!

Protesting is not the problem. The police didn't confront protesters unless there was good reason. They mainly went after the "black block" anarchists who are hell bent on vandalizing property and prepetuating violence. The also have an obligation to prevent other protesters from attempting to breach security lines.

Look at the people in the picture. Do you honestly think the police just walk up to peaceful protesters and start kicking them? Of course not. They were disobeying orders to stand back and they deserved every kick, rubber bullet and shot of pepper spray.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#4
Tell that to the people arrested in the areas designated for protesters.... Maybe it was a smorgasboard?
 
In Between Man
Free Thinker
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Tell that to the people arrested in the areas designated for protesters.... Maybe it was a smorgasboard?

They're full of sh!t. "I was just standing here peacefully protesting in the designated area when the big bad policeman assaulted me and hauled me away."

Yeah, right!
 
Unforgiven
+2
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

Protesting is not the problem.

It most definitely was the problem according to the police. Peaceful protesters in a designated protest area were attacked by police.

Quote:

The police didn't confront protesters unless there was good reason. They mainly went after the "black block" anarchists who are hell bent on vandalizing property and prepetuating violence. The also have an obligation to prevent other protesters from attempting to breach security lines.

What the hell were you watching? Not the G20 in Toronto that's for sure. As a matter of fact, the police stood there and watched masked people vandalize stores and two police cars in the downtown core. Watched them and didn't raise a finger to stop them. The next day, they arrested some 900 people sitting peacefully at Queen's Park, a designated protest area far away from the G20 site. No one even got close to the security fence to attempt to breech it because they were arrested for just being in the vicinity of it.

Quote:

Look at the people in the picture. Do you honestly think the police just walk up to peaceful protesters and start kicking them? Of course not. They were disobeying orders to stand back and they deserved every kick, rubber bullet and shot of pepper spray.

I was standing right there and saw it with my own eyes. Where were you?
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

They're full of sh!t. "I was just standing here peacefully protesting in the designated area when the big bad policeman assaulted me and hauled me away."

Yeah, right!

This is at Queens Park - an area re-designated as for protests:

YouTube - G20 Summit Toronto - Queen's Park #5

Yup... Full of shyte....
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
+3
#8  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

Protesting is not the problem. The police didn't confront protesters unless there was good reason. They mainly went after the "black block" anarchists who are hell bent on vandalizing property and prepetuating violence. The also have an obligation to prevent other protesters from attempting to breach security lines.

Look at the people in the picture. Do you honestly think the police just walk up to peaceful protesters and start kicking them? Of course not. They were disobeying orders to stand back and they deserved every kick, rubber bullet and shot of pepper spray.

You haven't a stinking clue as to what you are talking about, I was there and just about everything you just stated is either fabricated or generally false.

On the Saturday, when the "black bloc" bunch went around rioting and setting cops cars on fire, the cops did absolutely nothing, they were more concerned about keeping people from going anywhere near their stupid fence.

On the Sunday, the cops went on a power trips, arresting journalists, protestors, photographers and people who lived in the neighborhood... no "black bloc" as there was none there.

Also note that 90% of the charges laid against people on the Sunday were dropped as the majority of the people there committed no crime what so ever.

Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

They're full of sh!t. "I was just standing here peacefully protesting in the designated area when the big bad policeman assaulted me and hauled me away."

Yeah, right!

Why do you think the majority of the charges were dropped then?

Shot I took on Queen Street West, just before the cops started shooting tear gas at people for standing on the street


This cop wanted to beat me for taking his photo I think
 
Unforgiven
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

They're full of sh!t. "I was just standing here peacefully protesting in the designated area when the big bad policeman assaulted me and hauled me away."

Yeah, right!

Holly **** where does all this aggression come from? The police broke laws and at lease 100 were reprimanded and docked a days pay for hiding their identity. One was outed and charged once his identity became known. His case is before the courts now. What's more these so called black bloc vandals the police accused of doing so much damage that their reaction was justified were shown on video running back behind police lines to be protected.

Why would that happen unless they were agent provocateur?
 
mentalfloss
#10
The whole G20 thing has gone way beyond sad and pathetic into hilarity. All of these cops caught on camera red-handed. Regardless of who is actually primarily responsible (our provincial or national leader), this is partly what is fueling the conservative backlash.
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#11
I got searched twice due to this law and that was two days before the "event", their bloody fence had to be set up right in front of one of my favourite patios.
 
YaYiP
No Party Affiliation
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

Protesting is not the problem. The police didn't confront protesters unless there was good reason. They mainly went after the "black block" anarchists who are hell bent on vandalizing property and prepetuating violence. The also have an obligation to prevent other protesters from attempting to breach security lines.

Look at the people in the picture. Do you honestly think the police just walk up to peaceful protesters and start kicking them? Of course not. They were disobeying orders to stand back and they deserved every kick, rubber bullet and shot of pepper spray.


LOL
I guess YOU were NOT there!!
"Peace Officers" did NOT go after the "black block". The "Peace Officers" just stood by while stores and police cars were attacked. The next day when peaceful Canadians were protesting the "Peace Officers" moved in and conducted countless illegal acts. They did not get the "black block" people... why is there the list out for the offenders? Because they didnt get them, the "Peace Officers" got everyday tax paying, law abiding citizens instead. WRONG WRONG WRONG

PROTEST THE ABUSE
PROTEST THE OBTUSENESS OF THE PEACE OFFICERS INDIVIDUAL ACTIONS
(come on Peace Officers, you do not have to follow an unlawful order)
PROTEST ON THE ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY IN EVERY CITY IN CANADA

IF IT CAN HAPPEN IN THE LARGEST CITY IN CANADA, IT CAN HAPPEN WHERE YOU LIVE
IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU

Watch this and tell me what you think
You Should Have Stayed At Home - the fifth estate
 
earth_as_one
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

Protesting is not the problem. The police didn't confront protesters unless there was good reason. They mainly went after the "black block" anarchists who are hell bent on vandalizing property and prepetuating violence. The also have an obligation to prevent other protesters from attempting to breach security lines.

Look at the people in the picture. Do you honestly think the police just walk up to peaceful protesters and start kicking them? Of course not. They were disobeying orders to stand back and they deserved every kick, rubber bullet and shot of pepper spray.

tell that to Nobody
YouTube - Adam Nobody Toronto G20 Interview

Here's is Nobody's arrest:
YouTube - Toronto G20 - Peaceful protester tackled and roughed up
 
In Between Man
Free Thinker
-1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post

It most definitely was the problem according to the police. Peaceful protesters in a designated protest area were attacked by police.

-sigh- The police do not "attack" peaceful protesters in designated areas. That doesn't make sense, and if it doesn't make sense it must not be true.

What does make sense is that the protesters were certainly pushing the boundaries of the designated area and they were confronted by the police - whose job it is to enforce the designated area. But because of the anti police / anti authority attitude the protesters have they provoke the fight. Like I said, they deserve every kick, punch, rubber bullet and so forth.

Quote:

No one even got close to the security fence to attempt to breech it because they were arrested for just being in the vicinity of it.

They're in the vicinity of the security fence! Stay away! What part don't they get!? The protesters are NOT IN CHARGE during a protest. THE POLICE ARE! And the protesters try to push the boundaries, what do you think is going to happen?

Also, what would you rather have, no police presence? Just allow the protesters to march in and "arrest" the world leaders for "crimes"? C'mon!

Quote:

I was standing right there and saw it with my own eyes. Where were you?

And what were you doing there?! Were you protesting? If so, the protesters can do no wrong in your eyes can they? Let me ask your opinion of the Black bloc. Legitimate protesters or idiots who made the protesters look bad?

Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

Shot I took on Queen Street West, just before the cops started shooting tear gas at people for standing on the street


This cop wanted to beat me for taking his photo I think

Look how close you are to the police! You are threatening their safety with your presence. They don't know if you have a gun, or a brick under your jacket. It's obvious that you were one of many trying to push the boundaries of what you can get away with. If I were one of those fine officers you better believe there would have been a confrontation between you and me. And you would come out on the losing end guaranteed.

Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_one View Post

tell that to Nobody
YouTube - Adam Nobody Toronto G20 Interview

Here's is Nobody's arrest:
YouTube - Toronto G20 - Peaceful protester tackled and roughed up

One of many idiots getting too close for the police's comfort. Boo hoo! Poor baby got beat up by the "big bad" police.

Just look at the guy: He seems like a real pillar of the community. Nice tats rat!!!

 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#15
Tats? Judge not....

There again.... That is Queens Park. Note the PUBLIC Porta-Potties
 
In Between Man
Free Thinker
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

Tats? Judge not....

There again.... That is Queens Park. Note the PUBLIC Porta-Potties

I was just ripping you guys with the tats comment. hehe

As for the rest of the debate, I just came back from a puff of "fresh air" and I've calmed down about the situation. I don't dislike the protesters as much as it sounds and I don't dislike anyone who sticks up for them. I love you guys.

I'll let you guys calm down too during the first period and get back during intermission to accept your apology.
Last edited by In Between Man; Apr 28th, 2011 at 08:21 PM..
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
+1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

-sigh- The police do not "attack" peaceful protesters in designated areas. That doesn't make sense, and if it doesn't make sense it must not be true.

What does make sense is that the protesters were certainly pushing the boundaries of the designated area and they were confronted by the police - whose job it is to enforce the designated area. But because of the anti police / anti authority attitude the protesters have they provoke the fight. Like I said, they deserve every kick, punch, rubber bullet and so forth.



They're in the vicinity of the security fence! Stay away! What part don't they get!? The protesters are NOT IN CHARGE during a protest. THE POLICE ARE! And the protesters try to push the boundaries, what do you think is going to happen?

Also, what would you rather have, no police presence? Just allow the protesters to march in and "arrest" the world leaders for "crimes"? C'mon!



And what were you doing there?! Were you protesting? If so, the protesters can do no wrong in your eyes can they? Let me ask your opinion of the Black bloc. Legitimate protesters or idiots who made the protesters look bad?



Look how close you are to the police! You are threatening their safety with your presence. They don't know if you have a gun, or a brick under your jacket. It's obvious that you were one of many trying to push the boundaries of what you can get away with. If I were one of those fine officers you better believe there would have been a confrontation between you and me. And you would come out on the losing end guaranteed.



One of many idiots getting too close for the police's comfort. Boo hoo! Poor baby got beat up by the "big bad" police.

Just look at the guy: He seems like a real pillar of the community. Nice tats rat!!!


I have a right to go where I please, Jackass, the only area which was off-limits was the fence.

Queen Street West was nowhere near the fence, so once again, you're wrong.

I was too close to the police? Honestly, are you retarded? Have you heard of freedom of expression by chance? I was exercising my rights while I was there, I wasn't provoking the cops in any manner.

So now you are making boats of your physical prowess? You're pathetic, you wouldn't pass the meter maid test let alone be admitted into any police force.

Once again, you're a slobbering retard.
 
In Between Man
Free Thinker
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

I have a right to go where I please, Jackass, the only area which was off-limits was the fence.

Queen Street West was nowhere near the fence, so once again, you're wrong.

I was too close to the police? Honestly, are you retarded? Have you heard of freedom of expression by chance? I was exercising my rights while I was there, I wasn't provoking the cops in any manner.

So now you are making boats of your physical prowess? You're pathetic, you wouldn't pass the meter maid test let alone be admitted into any police force.

Once again, you're a slobbering retard.

How close are you when you took those pictures? I realize you may not like police dressed in all black, geared out to the max, walking down the street, but put yourself in their shoes. They don't want you anywhere near them.

Also, why are you calling me a jackass and a slobbering retard? Are you not aware that insults directed towards other members are against the rules of this forum?
 
DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

How close are you when you took those pictures? I realize you may not like police dressed in all black, geared out to the max, walking down the street, but put yourself in their shoes. They don't want you anywhere near them.

No, I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. There was no black bloc there that day, once again.


Quote:

Also, why are you calling me a jackass and a slobbering retard? Are you not aware that insults directed towards other members are against the rules of this forum?

hmmm, lets see:

"If I were one of those fine officers you better believe there would have been a confrontation between you and me. And you would come out on the losing end guaranteed. "
 
In Between Man
Free Thinker
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurka View Post

No, I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. There was no black bloc there that day, once again.

Fair enough, but still, when you see cops huddled together in their riot gear - that means stay away. They take your very presence as you antagonizing them because they don't know your intentions.

What is your opinion of the Black block? Good guys or bad guys?
Quote:

hmmm, lets see:

"If I were one of those fine officers you better believe there would have been a confrontation between you and me. And you would come out on the losing end guaranteed. "

That's not an insult! I'm merely pointing out that some people wouldn't take it too kindly you getting so close. That's why confrontations happen. If you took it an insult, then my sincere apologies.

You shouldn't resort to out right name calling like you did however. It hurts your case, and my feelings. I'm the shy, sensitive type ya know.
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

How close are you when you took those pictures? I realize you may not like police dressed in all black, geared out to the max, walking down the street, but put yourself in their shoes. They don't want you anywhere near them.

Also, why are you calling me a jackass and a slobbering retard? Are you not aware that insults directed towards other members are against the rules of this forum?

The police march toward and attacked peaceful, innocent protesters. People were trying to get away from the cops, but those fine police officers surrounded and beat them up. That is so obvious from all the footage of the unprovoked attacks. Why can't you see that?

Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

Fair enough, but still, when you see cops huddled together in their riot gear - that means stay away. They take your very presence as you antagonizing them because they don't know your intentions.

What is your opinion of the Black block? Good guys or bad guys?

The cops antaganized the protesters.

The Black block were the bag guys. They were police provocateurs. They were not confronted and took refuge behind police lines.

Man,you can be so blind sometimes.
 
In Between Man
Free Thinker
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

The police march toward and attacked peaceful, innocent protesters. People were trying to get away from the cops, but those fine police officers surrounded and beat them up. That is so obvious from all the footage of the unprovoked attacks. Why can't you see that?


The cops antaganized the protesters.

The Black block were the bag guys. They were police provocateurs. They were not confronted and took refuge behind police lines.

Man,you can be so blind sometimes.

Blind? I don't see the protesters moving very quickly, like they legitimately want to get out of the area! The police are ones IN CHARGE. They have the AUTHORITY. Notice how the police move along in a line in order to move the protesters? They can do that because they're IN CHARGE. Notice how some of the protesters don't move? That's PROVOKING. They're DISOBEYING orders from the police - WHO ARE IN CHARGE. They have AUTHORITY over protesters.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

The Black block were the bag guys. They were police provocateurs. They were not confronted and took refuge behind police lines.

Man,you can be so blind sometimes.

I do remember when those Quebec officers pretended to be black block guys. That was pretty stupid. But there's no way every single one is a cop. C'mon!
 
petros
+2
#23
Is this Orwellian or does it lean towards Huxley?
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

Blind? I don't see the protesters moving very quickly, like they legitimately want to get out of the area! The police are ones IN CHARGE. They have the AUTHORITY. Notice how the police move along in a line in order to move the protesters? They can do that because they're IN CHARGE. Notice how some of the protesters don't move? That's PROVOKING. They're DISOBEYING orders from the police - WHO ARE IN CHARGE. They have AUTHORITY over protesters.



I do remember when those Quebec officers pretended to be black block guys. That was pretty stupid. But there's no way every single one is a cop. C'mon!

While you're noticing things, notice the sandstone arch entry? That is the Ontario Legislature - AKA Queens Park - an area that was designated as an area for protesters to legally gather and do their thing. Notice there is no barricade between the Porta-Potties and the Legislature. In essence, that sanctuary was a smorgasboard for cop quota
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

Blind? I don't see the protesters moving very quickly, like they legitimately want to get out of the area! The police are ones IN CHARGE. They have the AUTHORITY. Notice how the police move along in a line in order to move the protesters? They can do that because they're IN CHARGE. Notice how some of the protesters don't move? That's PROVOKING. They're DISOBEYING orders from the police - WHO ARE IN CHARGE. They have AUTHORITY over protesters.

The cops surrounded them. They were closing in from all sides. There was nowhere to go except to be crowded in the middle. They knew they were screwed, so what would be the hurry to get bunched up and beaten.

Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

I do remember when those Quebec officers pretended to be black block guys. That was pretty stupid. But there's no way every single one is a cop. C'mon!

Toronto was no different. There may have been the odd sh*t disturber, but the damage was done by provocateurs. This was just a practice session. The real crackdown is still to come. Give Harper a majority and it will come sooner than later. We have all seen what he does to anyone who stands in his way or questions his motives and actions. If you support a police state, you will get one.
 
In Between Man
Free Thinker
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post

While you're noticing things, notice the sandstone arch entry? That is the Ontario Legislature - AKA Queens Park - an area that was designated as an area for protesters to legally gather and do their thing. Notice there is no barricade between the Porta-Potties and the Legislature. In essence, that sanctuary was a smorgasboard for cop quota

If that park is designated for protesting, why did they march in? No reason has been given by you guys. Also, I didn't realize they're was such a thing as a "police free zone".

I'm going back to watch the vid again....
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

If that park is designated for protesting, why did they march in? No reason has been given by you guys. Also, I didn't realize they're was such a thing as a "police free zone".

I'm going back to watch the vid again....

There was no reason. Read my previous post.
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by alleywayzalwayz View Post

If that park is designated for protesting, why did they march in? No reason has been given by you guys. Also, I didn't realize they're was such a thing as a "police free zone".

I'm going back to watch the vid again....

How can any of us give a reason? There wasn't any. G20 and their precious fence was 2 km south of there....
 
petros
#29
WTF is a "free speech zone"?
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

WTF is a "free speech zone"?

It was designed to get everyone in one place so the show of force would have maximum effect. Herd all the people to the slaughter.
 

Similar Threads

0