If you can only pick one would it be religous rights or human rights and why?

petros
+1
Vaccum salesman? The last time I've seen one of them was when I was putting my milk bottles on the front step.

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Spade
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

It's pretty closed minded to assume that someone's faith is based exclusively on attending Church.

Facts are facts in this case Spade.

You're right, a quarter of church-attending Catholics are agnostics, References upon request.

Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Vaccum salesman? The last time I've seen one of them was when I was putting my milk bottles on the front step.

You must be living in an upscale neighbourhood.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+2
You don't get it, do you?

Just because you supply your own individual definitions and interpretation does not make it fact.

Check out the census info, the respondents (voluntarily) identify themselves in the manner in which they believe. That's all that matters, not your unique version of how you believe these folks should interact with their religion, Church, etc

Spade
Free Thinker
+1

You don't get it, do you?

Just because you supply your own individual definitions and interpretation does not make it fact.

Check out the census info, the respondents (voluntarily) identify themselves in the manner in which they believe. That's all that matters, not your unique version of how you believe these folks should interact with their religion, Church, etc

Self-identification on a census does not indicate belief as much as "Christ, I gotta put something down. Hey, mum!'

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Self-identification on a census does not indicate belief as much as "Christ, I gotta put something down. Hey, mum!'

So it's fair for me to assume that you have no arguments any more?

Spade
Free Thinker
+1

So it's fair for me to assume that you have no arguments any more?

Winning agruments should only be cited once.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
+2

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for one from you

Spade
Free Thinker
+1
Sorry, have to go. There are a gentleman in a suit and a lady in a black dress knocking on my door. Wonder if it's UPS?

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+2

Sorry, have to go. There are a gentleman in a suit and a lady in a black dress knocking on my door. Wonder if it's UPS?

with those clothes it could even be a pimp and a hooker....

check for a bible first though, maybe they have come to warn you of the end of the world

Spade
Free Thinker
+1
I'm back. They were Austro-Hungarian Empire Loyalists collecting empties for their trip down East. Gave them all my milk cartons. Funny, I haven't heard of that group before. Well, hell; what do I know?

petros
I read Awake and Watchtower.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

I read Awake and Watchtower.

so are you awake now?

I guess the publishing of them is quite the production and quite the building where it is done

Spade
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

so are you awake now?

I guess the publishing of them is quite the production and quite the building where it is done

Is it by St. Paul?

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

so are you awake now?

I'm open minded. The articles are well written and aren't very preachy. Far less pushy than atheists.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Human rights is equality for all and religious rights is discrimination and when states and provinces pass laws for religious freedoms then equality does not exist

According to you.

talloola
No Party Affiliation
+3
human rights is by far more important, but it should contain religious rights,

to include all, and within the 'all', those wanting to do harm to others would be

dealt with by the law, and it seems that is the way things are now.

many religious rights would leave out certain types, which is fine for them, but
leaves out others they do not want included, which human rights would not.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Personally I'd go for the human rights - I think concern for one's fellow man is #1. Religious rights are good but don't go stomping on people's throats to get them! L.O.L.

eh1eh
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

(sigh)

They are one and the same.

Freedom of religion is a human right, so you can not choose "human rights" and exclude religious rights.

Good point. One should never preclude the other.

Cliffy
Free Thinker

For some people arguing is all about winning. There is no such thing as winning an argument. Nobody is going to change their perspective to suit anybody else. We can present our opinions on a subject and the other theirs. It is call discussion. It is always interesting to know what and how others think. But arguing is a complete waste of time and the outcome is always one of animosity.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

For some people arguing is all about winning. There is no such thing as winning an argument. Nobody is going to change their perspective to suit anybody else. We can present our opinions on a subject and the other theirs. It is call discussion. It is always interesting to know what and how others think. But arguing is a complete waste of time and the outcome is always one of animosity.

Hmm, I don't know about that. After a certain point, when points of view are so diametrically opposed you can't really call it a discussion anymore. It is an argument. But I've had great arguments. The key is not to have them in anger. Leave out the anger but bring the passion and intensity, it is anything but a waste of time. You can discover so much more about yourself and your attachment to your position when you really release your passion on a topic.

Now having said that, I don't believe they can be had here. Way too many hotheads.

Sal
No Party Affiliation

Is it by St. Paul?

beats me, I haven't thought about the publication for literally years...it was apparently state of the art at the time...

Tecumsehsbones

Your individual opinion may not be that of other folks.

In the end, your rights end at the very point where mine begin

What happens when and where you both have rights?

Liberalman
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Religious rights exclude a certain percentage of society where human rights includes everyone.

nimrod
+2
This is why they have attempted separation of church and state. Religious freedom should not interfere with the operation of the state.The problem is religions whose basic tenets require them to proselytize and push their beliefs.
How many times have we heard complaints about prayer being taken out of school?
At least non theists don't bother anyone or ask for money(at least in my experience).

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpy View Post

Yes people should be free to practice their religion however they should not
be granted special exemptions from the laws of the land or be allowed to in
fact discriminate against others in a secular society

Could you answer the following?

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

How far are you willing to go with taking the rights away from those with certain religious convictions? Are you wanting to force the Catholic Church to preform SSM marriages? Force Christian educational institutes to teach and allow things that are against their faith?

Identification is one thing, belief is another, and church attendance (appox. 17%) a third.

How often you attend Church has nothing to do with your faith.

captain morgan
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

I don't know that answer, but recall putting the rhetorical question to you; Whose rights trump whose?

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

More important than freedom of religion is freedom from religion. No one should be able to force their religious views on anyone else.

This includes atheism.

talloola
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

This includes atheism.

i've never ever had an atheist knock on my door, or send pamphlets, or ring bells on sunday to remind us
we are suppose to be there,or a neighbour wondering why we don't go to church, but from the religious all of the above.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryh View Post

Could you answer the following?

How often you attend Church has nothing to do with your faith.

Yep, standing in a garage doesn't make you a mechanic!

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by talloola View Post

i've never ever had an atheist knock on my door, or send pamphlets, or ring bells on sunday to remind us
we are suppose to be there,or a neighbour wondering why we don't go to church, but from the religious all of the above.

Don't have to look too far on this forum to see those who are a pedlin'.

So Christianity is all right as long as they are perfectly quiet and don't ring any bells?