Canada says F-35s cost $14 B; Norway says they cost $40 B


CDNBear
#31
Did anybody else notice the captioned story in the OP was cut off before this tid bit?

Quote:

Part of the cost difference is on the operating and maintenance life-cycle cost. DND is estimating am operating and maintenance total cost of $7 billion over 20 years for its 65 F35s.

Norway’s Defense Minister Grete Faremo, however, stated in June that the operating and maintenance life-cycle cost, spanning 25 to 30 years of projected service for Norway’s 52 F-35s i s estimated at $26.8 billion. The Norwegians believe it makes more sense to project the cost on the actual life of the aircraft – 25 to 30 years.

These are estimations, based on variables outside our purview.
 
petros
#32
EI and CPP etc ROI makes it lower not shipping.
 
CDNBear
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by Kreskin View Post

Shipping and handling.

Don't forget insurance.
 
DaSleeper
+1
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Did anybody else notice the captioned story in the OP was cut off before this tid bit?



These are estimations, based on variables outside our purview.

The OP wouldn't have done that on purpouse now....would he???...say it isn't so..........
 
petros
#35
Does Ottawa plan on selling off the 18's when the 35's are put in service?
 
CDNBear
+1
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeper View Post

The OP wouldn't have done that on purpouse now....would he???...say it isn't so..........

Did you read any of the comments at the link?

And yes, I believe he would. Which is why I said I read Loc for truth, and anti-Loc for humour, lol.
Last edited by CDNBear; Nov 29th, 2011 at 10:27 PM..
 
Kreskin
+2
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Don't forget insurance.

And that plastic wrap that no one can open.
 
Bar Sinister
No Party Affiliation
#38
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Does Ottawa plan on selling off the 18's when the 35's are put in service?


Sure - they'll be sold off to some minor power to replace their Sopwith Camels.
 
DaSleeper
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

Did you read any of the comments at the link?

And yes, I believe he would. Which is why I said I read Loc for truth, and anti-Loc for humour, lol.

They didn't have any comments on that link when I first read it yesterday, and even tody they didn't load until I finished rereading the article and left the page on while pouring a second cup.....?
 
mentalfloss
+1
#40
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

These are estimations, based on variables outside our purview.

So is what our government is telling us.

It would be nice to get some credible figures, but the Norway one is at least an estimate based on the entire project.

The author of the article also specializes in military procurement.

This project needs to die.
 
CDNBear
#41
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

So is what our government is telling us.

It would be nice to get some credible figures, but the Norway one is at least an estimate based on the entire project.

So because the Norway projection suits your agenda, it's the one closer to the truth?

Quote:

This project needs to die.

So you've said many times. keep looking for reasons as to why.
 
mentalfloss
#42
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

So because the Norway projection suits your agenda, it's the one closer to the truth?

Norway has been more transparent than our government, and that figure represents the entire project.

Just because I realize this project is stupid, doesn't detract from the facts.
 
CDNBear
#43
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Norway has been more transparent than our government...

They have? Or is that what you think because they published a higher cost projection?

Do you have info that hasn't been present here yet?

Quote:

... and that figure represents the entire project.

So does Canada's projection, it just doesn't run the entire life of the aircraft.

By the way, I'm all for purchasing the new F 18. Not the F 35. Just in case were curious.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

They have? Or is that what you think because they published a higher cost projection?

So does Canada's projection, it just doesn't run the entire life of the aircraft.

By the way, I'm all for purchasing the new F 18. Not the F 35. Just in case were curious.

Fair enough. I think that would be a more reasonable purchase as well.

Btw, check out my photo album of our newborn when you get a chance.
 
CDNBear
+1
#45
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Btw, check out my photo album of our newborn when you get a chance.

HEY!!! CONGRATS new pappa!!!

She's beautiful dude, and what a beautiful name too.
 
mentalfloss
+1
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBear View Post

HEY!!! CONGRATS new pappa!!!

Thank you good sir.

When we're not having political spats, it's good to know we can still be human.
 
Tonington
+1
#47
Quote:

Part of the cost difference is on the operating and maintenance life-cycle cost. DND is estimating am operating and maintenance total cost of $7 billion over 20 years for its 65 F35s.

$7 billion/65 jets= $107.7 million per plane
$107.7 million per plane/20 years = 5.4 million per plane per year

Quote:

Norway’s Defense Minister Grete Faremo, however, stated in June that the operating and maintenance life-cycle cost, spanning 25 to 30 years of projected service for Norway’s 52 F-35s is estimated at $26.8 billion. The Norwegians believe it makes more sense to project the cost on the actual life of the aircraft – 25 to 30 years.

$26.8 billion/ 52 jets= $515.4 million per plane
$515.4 million per plane/ 25 years= $20.6 million per plane per year
$515.4 million per plane/30 years= $17.2 million per plane per year
Norway is estimating costs per plane per year that are 3.2 to 3.8 times more expensive on operation/maintenance than we have calculated. Maybe Norway plans on being in more active duty than we are? Or maybe our numbers are sandbagged to $hit?

Who knows?
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#48
Maybe?
 
mentalfloss
#49
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Who knows?

Well when Fantino is questioned repeatedly about the discrepancy and he just keeps pumping the party line, it doesn't lend much credibility to the Canadian government (or Harper government, whichever you prefer). Considering it is becoming a trend on the Tory side to brush off questions of accountability (see Clement's 'paper trail'), we should be getting it out there to press them harder on these budgetary issues.
 
tay
+1
#50
The Harperites aren't telling us the true cost because we would revolt. Or at least vote them out...............


If that process is normal, Page said, then it's "broken. Completely broken. And wrong."

Officials gave one estimate to cabinet, he said, that included the full costs of the plane for the complete lifespan, but gave another estimate to MPs.

"To tell Parliament, effectively, to tell Canadians, that, well, actually it's a much smaller number, that's wrong," Page said.

Earlier in the day, Page testified at a committee that National Defence withheld information when he was preparing his controversial report on the costs of the F-35s, and he later indicated he thinks Canadians were misled about the true costs of buying the fighter jets.

more

Kevin Page says defence purchasing 'broken' and 'wrong' - Politics - CBC News



Auditor General Michael Ferguson released a scathing report on April 3 that was highly critical of the way the F-35 file had been handled, particularly the Defence Department's failure to reveal that the fighter would cost Canada at least $25 billion — $10 billion more than it was reporting to Parliament and the public weeks before the last federal election.

The Conservative government has admitted it was aware of the larger price tag weeks before the last federal election, but MacKay's comments are the first acknowledgment cabinet approved the reporting of a lower figure to Canadians.


more

Deputy ministers defend roles in F-35 costs - Politics - CBC News




BOEING HAS ANNOUNCED a whole series of up-grades and improvements to the Super Hornet, according to MILITARY.COM's article, "Super Hornets Could Launch Their Own UAVs" . The object of the exercise is to increase survivability to allow a service life to 2040.


Super Hornets Could Launch Their Own UAVs | Military.com


Do check the rest of the article; it seems Boeing wants to do business, and is courting all the buyers of older F-18's as well as owners of the E and F variants.


But Stevie just has to ram the F-35 through Parliament. We can't afford it and we don't need it.












 
tay
#51
Air force contradicts itself on F-35 fighter jet options


Head of air force tells Canadian Press other planes not considered, later statement says that's not true


Air force contradicts itself on F-35 fighter jet options - Politics - CBC News
 
tay
#52
So, the Norwegians were correct and the Harper Cons tried to Con us.........................



The cost of buying and servicing the F-35 stealth fighter jets that Ottawa has been planning to purchase has skyrocketed to about $40 billion, CTV News has learned.



Read more: Cost of buying, servicing F-35 fighter jets soars to $40B: sources | CTV News
 
taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
#53
Doesn't matter anymore. The purchase has been canceled. This is what good government does, change with changing data rather than sticking with a bad plan because it iis their plan.
Now if we could just convince them to look after the more important purchases such as the Sea King replacements that should have been done twenty years ago.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#54
What really matters is the final decision, criticism of steps taken along the way is secondary!
 
Locutus
#55
We're too busy for this sort of thing. Christmas is coming.
 
petros
+1
#56
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Now if we could just convince them to look after the more important purchases such as the Sea King replacements that should have been done twenty years ago.

The CH -148 Cyclones aren't being built and delivered yet? I thought that went ahead with tenders and bid awards being made back at least 8-9 years ago if not longer?
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+1
#57
Meh. They should all get together in an auction room and bid on em.
 
gore0bsessed
#58
Federal government cancels F-35 fighter purchase: source

Federal government cancels F-35 fighter purchase: source | canada.com


was this posted yet?
 
china
Conservative
#59
mistake
Last edited by china; Dec 7th, 2012 at 02:20 PM..
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#60
I suggest something by Found (from Parry Sound) ... so our flying jockeys can get some flying time....
 

Similar Threads

1
Migrating to Canada : life cost.
by pasticcino | Oct 3rd, 2006
125
Canada’s cost in Afghanistan!
by Socrates the Greek | Jun 16th, 2006