On the evolution of The Origin of Species

Tonington
An interesting view of the evolution of Darwin's thoughts and ideas. The caption of this website begins with a simple assertion that science is often perceived as a fixed notion, that changes very little after initial discovery. This of course is false, but is quite common for the "gotcha" folks out there who point to what they perceive as fundamental problems, based on such ignorance.

The animation may take a while to load, but it really is a great visualization of the issue.
the preservation of favoured traces | ben fry

The source that lead me to that website here:
Visualization at the Crossroads : Revolutionary Minds Think Tank

Spade
Evolution is a more complete theory than gravitation.
PS
Thought this was on Spices...

AnnaG
That is awesome! I can imagine how much work went into graphing Darwin's work. Be neat to see all the stuff that's been added to the theory continue the graphing, too.

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Evolution is a more complete theory than gravitation.
PS
Thought this was on Spices...

Old fogey. Forgot your glasses again didn't you? lol

Tonington
Anna, Spade was correct. I reported my thread for the spelling error! It read " On the evolution of The Origin of Spcies".

As to the work, I'm sure that image is the result of many hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours of study.

I liked the visualization, because to me it made me think of markers in DNA sequences. Moving forward, only the good stuff is retained by nature!

Lou Garu
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

Anna, Spade was correct. I reported my thread for the spelling error! It read " On the evolution of The Origin of Spcies".

As to the work, I'm sure that image is the result of many hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours of study.

I liked the visualization, because to me it made me think of markers in DNA sequences. Moving forward, only the good stuff is retained by nature!

I'll need to come back to this when I'm using firefox ( and bookmark the site properly). Makes me wonder how the increase in the number of disciplines maps out...since 1950.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by Lou Garu View Post

I'll need to come back to this when I'm using firefox ( and bookmark the site properly). Makes me wonder how the increase in the number of disciplines maps out...since 1950.

Life a fractal tree. Maybe? I dunno either.

Lou Garu

Life a fractal tree. Maybe? I dunno either.

Heh,your comment is a example,Tonington,I think my first exposure to fractals occurred when I was 25ish (I think) ,I'm too close to 60 to argue the point,now when I think of those (supposed ) simpler days...........( oh yeh, 'bout that time I saw my first hand held calculator,those nixie tubes in that old "four banger " sure were cute)

Tonington
The fellow who sits next to me in my statistics class is doing his Masters thesis work with apple trees. He's modeling the tree using fractals to estimate theoretical maximum yield. Seems pretty interesting.

Lou Garu
Nice direction,hope it's not "chaos " bound ;-p

Tonington
Nope. This fellow is the antithesis of chaos. Quite orderly

Lou Garu
Ahh," The Path Leading from Chaos To Righteousness" don't forget the obligatory banners, sotto voiced trumpets in the far backgound. Sounds like good read.

AnnaG

Oh. By the time I saw it, it said, "Species".

Quote:

lol That's what I was thinking when I watched it. a few hundred more hours and they could make it up to date.
I can imagine the Creationist version: one orange dot. lmao

AnnaG
Had to look yp what a fractal is. Nifty. Kind of like seeing the universe in an atom.

Lou Garu
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

Had to look yp what a fractal is. Nifty. Kind of like seeing the universe in an atom.

And you can get lost in it if you stare too hard

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by Lou Garu View Post

And you can get lost in it if you stare too hard

I can imagine. I can get lost in space when I look there. I can get lost in a campfire when I look there. I can get lost in watching critters go about their business. I don't really need to stare.

Liberalman
I thought God created life

AnnaG
Quote: Originally Posted by Liberalman View Post

Evidence?

Lou Garu
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaG View Post

I can imagine. I can get lost in space when I look there. I can get lost in a campfire when I look there. I can get lost in watching critters go about their business. I don't really need to stare.

Heh,

ironsides

You want an answer based upon religion, ok here it is.

Yes, God Created The Universe.
The actual creation of this world was a miracle not explained by natural phenomenon. God offers us in the Bible an self-evident explanation of how He created the universe. On the other hand, the act of creation cannot be adequately explained through natural phenomenon. Key Bible Scripture: John 1:3 advices us that God created all things ...

Cliffy

There are thousands of creation myths all over the planet. Some of the most colourful can be found in the myths of the aboriginal peoples.

ironsides
Now on a more serious note. Why do they still call evolution a theory? There is more than enough evidence to prove that it is a fact.

Dexter Sinister
Because it IS a theory, in the scientific sense, which means it's a coherent body of observations, ideas, information, and analyses that describe and explain a specified range of phenomena; it is empirical, falsifiable, predictive, and testable. In common usage the word theory is used in a weak sense to mean a belief or speculation, but that's not what it means in science.

GreenFish66
If there is no God we will create one ..Then we will know for sure...Humans are creationists by nature ...

I always found it unfair as to how a grub can turn into a flying june bug ..While us apes still have to walk...When will we evolve wings ?..If only we could talk to the birds to find out how they did it..

Thank God for airplanes..

Panspermia Theory - creationism at it's finest.. God shoots the seed, mother planets watch their children bloom into new life..

" Space the final frontier.."
Last edited by GreenFish66; Sep 22nd, 2009 at 09:19 AM..

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

Now on a more serious note. Why do they still call evolution a theory? There is more than enough evidence to prove that it is a fact.

Dexter pretty much covered it, but I started a thread on the conventions in science with respect to fact, and the differences between hypotheses, theories and laws. A little over a year ago.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/sc...-theories.html

petros

Dexter pretty much covered it, but I started a thread on the conventions in science with respect to fact, and the differences between hypotheses, theories and laws. A little over a year ago.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/sc...-theories.html

There is a biblical connection.

Dr. Al A. "Louis" Jah PhD was the first biologist and second cousin to Abraham.

He was told by God that tree of life was in reality the tree of evolution.

But he got smote by zealots.

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

I don't think it's quantifiable enough to call it fact. You can't accurately predict the outcome of a+b+c, at least not with our current knowledge.

Tonington
But evolution is a fact of life here on Earth.

If you could predict it with a simple formula, then it would be a law. But it's more involved than that, there are too many factors to make a simple equation.

petros
So where is the crocoduck then? LMAO

karrie

But evolution is a fact of life here on Earth.

If you could predict it with a simple formula, then it would be a law. But it's more involved than that, there are too many factors to make a simple equation.

law, that's what I meant. I'll go drink more coffee and stay out of the brainy conversations. lol.