Water great shot! Annual cricket match takes place on Solent sandbank

Blackleaf
With recent successes on the field at Headingley by Ben Stokes and Jofra Archer giving England another chance at the Ashes, the British love affair with cricket has been reignited once more.

So much so that batsmen and bowlers took to Bramble Bank, a sodden sandbank of the Solent, a patch of land between Southampton and the Isle of Wight only accessible at low tide, to play in a much more relaxed home game.

Organised by the Royal Southern Yacht Club (RSYC) and their friendly rivals the Island Sailing Club (ISC) the two teams faced off in the early hours of the cold morning to make a splash...

Water great shot! Cricketers battle it out in the middle of the Solent as the annual grudge match between two sailing clubs takes place during the early morning's low-tide

The annual match on Bramble Bank between the mainland and the Isle of Wight took place at the 6.30am low tide

Teams from the royal southern yacht club and the Island sailing club met on the sandbank for a friendly game

The unusual traditional game is thought to have been started in the 1950s by renowned boat maker Uffa Fox

By John Bennett For Mailonline
1 September 2019

With recent successes on the field at Headingley by Ben Stokes and Jofra Archer giving England another chance at the Ashes, the British love affair with cricket has been reignited once more.

So much so that batsmen and bowlers took to Bramble Bank, a sodden sandbank of the Solent, a patch of land between Southampton and the Isle of Wight only accessible at low tide, to play in a much more relaxed home game.

Organised by the Royal Southern Yacht Club (RSYC) and their friendly rivals the Island Sailing Club (ISC) the two teams faced off in the early hours of the cold morning to make a splash.

Despite what might appear to be a fierce competition, the match's winner is predetermined in the interest of the love of the game and escaping the rising tide.

Last year was won by the RSYC meaning that this year was the turn of the ISC.

Batters took like ducks to water, stepping in puddles, risking wet socks alongside a few bruises to keep the game going, much to the amusement of the crowds that gathered.

Audience members are also known to come by boat, risking running aground to get a closer glimpse of the 'quintessentially British' game.

The game is so important it even received a blessing in person by local reverend Andrew Popp to ensure the sanctity of the match.

The game is believe to have been first organised in the 1950s by British boat-maker Uffa Fox who was known for his eccentric exploits and adventures.

The boat-maker, alongside forming generation-spanning traditions was also the designer of the Britannia, the rowboat used by John Fairfax for his solo-rowing expedition across the Atlantic Ocean in 1969.

The game began at 6.30am to make the most of the early morning low tide, the low sun adding an extra obstacle for fielders

He's our anchor: Deep pools of water remained on the sand bank forcing batsmen to get their feet wet as a crowd and boats gathered to watch the friendly game

The early morning sun was caught behind the clouds keeping temperatures low letting players keep their cool as they faced off

The soft ground threatened to provide an unfair advantage as one sides wickets appear to be sinking unevenly into the wet sandbank

Players began the match only a little after the sunrise making sure that cricket balls could be easily seen in the low lit dawn

Hitting for six: Despite the serious organisation and annual agreement to play, all involved treat the match more as a friendly game on the beach, with the winner predetermined, alternating each match

Sand-cassock: Before the start of the game the players on both teams received a blessing from local reverend Andrew Popp

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dge-match.html

Curious Cdn
The game is believe to have been first organised in the 1950s by British boat-maker Uffa Fox who was known for his eccentric exploits and adventures.

I used to sail in Uffa Fox designed boats when I was a young teen.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

I used to sail in Uffa Fox designed boats when I was a young teen.

A native of the Isle of Wight he became a friend of Prince Philip in 1949. The pair used to race together at Cowes Week.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uffa_Fox

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackleaf View Post

A native of the Isle of Wight he became a friend of Prince Philip in 1949. The pair used to race together at Cowes Week.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uffa_Fox

He was pretty famous in sailing circles.

Cannuck
Does anybody in the developed world actually care about cricket. Maybe the Aussies but they’re a weird lot

Curious Cdn
[crickets]

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Does anybody in the developed world actually care about cricket. Maybe the Aussies but they’re a weird lot

The English

The New Zealanders

The Irish

The South Africans

Although I'm not sure why the opinions of only developed countries matters.

One can, likewise, just as easily ask: does the world care about ice hockey?

Curious Cdn
[crickets]

Blackleaf
In fact, Canada is the unusual one and is the odd one out for being a major Commonwealth country where cricket isn't popular.

In all the others - Britain, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Australia, New Zealand - it's huge.

It's Canada which is the anomaly.

Curious Cdn
+1
#10  Top Rated Post

In fact, Canada is the unusual one and is the odd one out for being a major Commonwealth country where cricket isn't popular.
In all the others - Britain, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Australia, New Zealand - it's huge.
It's Canada which is the anomaly.

We gave the Limeys the "heave-ho" earlier than the others did.

Cliffy
Cricket is a limp wristed, pansy game even more boring than watching tennis or paint drying.

Curious Cdn
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Cricket is a limp wristed, pansy game even more boring than watching tennis or paint drying.

"Field hockey" being a close second.

Cannuck

does the world care about ice hockey?

The developed world certainly does. That’s why it’s in the olympics

Blackleaf

We gave the Limeys the "heave-ho" earlier than the others did.

No, you didn't. The Kiwis beat you to it. Yet their national sport (religion) is rugby union and they love cricket, reaching the last two World Cup finals (but losing both).

Blackleaf

The developed world certainly does. That’s why it’s in the olympics

Why does the sporting opinion of the developed world matter more than that of the non-developed world?

Cricket is far more popular globally than ice hockey. It's the national sport of India, for a start.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Try telling that to Steve Smith.

Curious Cdn

No, you didn't. The Kiwis beat you to it. Yet their national sport (religion) is rugby union and they love cricket, reaching the last two World Cup finals (but losing both).

They live on a couple of inward-looking little islands, just like you do.

Cricket .... just like inbreeding.

Blackleaf

They live on a couple of inward-looking little islands, just like you do.
Cricket .... just like inbreeding.

Wow. That's the kind of intelligent response I'd expect from you or Tecumseh's Boner. I mean, you've beaten me. Your intellect has proven me wrong, defeated me.

I go, humbled...

Curious Cdn

Wow. That's the kind of intelligent response I'd expect from you or Tecumseh's Boner. I mean, you've beaten me. Your intellect has proven me wrong, defeated me.
I go, humbled...

You are the stupidest bunch of wankers on the planet, if it's really true that Boris is deliberately committing suicide by election.

Blackleaf
Sorry, but I best not comment on this thread anymore.

I wish not to be humiliated further.

Curious Cdn
Sayonara, maudit Anglais

Blackleaf
Is anyone else blown away by post #17 or am I the only one?

I'm completely beaten.

Curious Cdn
au revoir!

auf wiedersehen!

Toodles!

Cannuck

Why does the sporting opinion of the developed world matter more than that of the non-developed world?

We’re more enlightened than you are

Curious Cdn

Ja!

Ja!

Guten bie-bie!

Blackleaf

So you're saying that white people are more enlightened than Indians and Africans...

Blackleaf
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bhrOG_bsNuw

Curious Cdn

So you're saying that white people are more enlightened than Indians and Africans...

ਅਲਵਿਦਾ !

Sala kakuhle!

kia koa!

Cannuck

The developed world is more enlightened. Even a simpleton like you must be able to see that

Blackleaf

The developed world is more enlightened. Even a simpleton like you must be able to see that

Oh yeah. And that goes for our respective opinions on sport, too.