Ottawa to declare federal holiday to mark legacy of residential school system


Durry
+4
#151
How much more of this Justin Liberal bullshit can the Canadian public stand??
 
White_Unifier
#152
Quote: Originally Posted by Durry View Post

How much more of this Justin Liberal bullshit can the Canadian public stand??

Are you saying that Harper never should have allowed the TRC process to go ahead?
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#153
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

I don't see why the holiday thing has to be so complicated. Allow so many statutory personal days that a person could choose, in consultation with his employer, from among the official state holidays. Since the number of personal days is capped anyway, the government could then add as many state holidays as it wants. In fact, given the nature of our present shift-working economy, many employers would probably appreciate the fact that their workers would no longer all be getting the same day off so that they could rotate them.

Heck, we could even scrap all state days altogether and just let people choose their personal days. Not complicated.


I think you should go to your employer and suggest that you don't want to take any stat holdays off and will gladly work them, Also maybe suggest you don't need any vacation. You seem so hell bent on not giving people any time off I think you should lead by example.
 
Mowich
+1
#154
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Are you saying that the TRC has not collected enough proof to reveal at least a greater probability that the intent of the residential School system was in fact cultural genocide?


gen·o·cide
ˈjenəˌsīd/
noun
noun: genocide; plural noun: genocides
the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.



Hmmn.............nothing in that definition that even hints of culture.
 
Hoid
#155
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

gen·o·cide
ˈjenəˌsīd/
noun
noun: genocide; plural noun: genocides
the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.



Hmmn.............nothing in that definition that even hints of culture.

What do you think "ethnic group" means?
 
Twin_Moose
+1
#156
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Canada and many Canadians have shit on them for over 150 years. Do you think it might have something to do with trust?

Every Nationality that came into Canada outside of old Europe got shit on the difference is the non-Native cultures pushed through until they were accepted not retreating and sulked about what they deserve.


Funny thing is if you look into Canadian encyclopedia online the Native community were expected to excel and favoured over Eastern European and Asians.
 
White_Unifier
#157
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiing View Post

I think you should go to your employer and suggest that you don't want to take any stat holdays off and will gladly work them, Also maybe suggest you don't need any vacation. You seem so hell bent on not giving people any time off I think you should lead by example.

Many industries today require shift work. I fall into that category. In fact, I usually do end up working on statutory holidays though sometimes get a day off I'd rather not have off and then have to work on days I'd rather have off. So clearly stat laws of the 1960s don't work in today's fast-paced economy so why not update the law to reflect the new reality?
 
Mowich
+2
#158
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

What do you think "ethnic group" means?


A group of ethnic people. What's your point?

The improper and erroneous use of the term 'genocide' has become a standard of anyone who wishes to inflame emotions without having any basis in fact.
 
White_Unifier
#159
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

A group of ethnic people. What's your point?

The improper and erroneous use of the term 'genocide' has become a standard of anyone who wishes to inflame emotions without having any basis in fact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_genocide

Or consider the TRC's definition:

"Physical genocide is the mass killing of the members of a targeted group, and biological genocide is the destruction of the group’s reproductive capacity," the report's introduction explains. "Cultural genocide is the destruction of those structures and practices that allow the group to continue as a group. States that engage in cultural genocide set out to destroy the political and social institutions of the targeted group. Land is seized, and populations are forcibly transferred and their movement is restricted. Languages are banned. Spiritual leaders are persecuted, spiritual practices are forbidden, and objects of spiritual value are confiscated and destroyed. And, most significantly to the issue at hand, families are disrupted to prevent the transmission of cultural values and identity from one generation to the next."
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#160
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Many industries today require shift work. I fall into that category. In fact, I usually do end up working on statutory holidays though sometimes get a day off I'd rather not have off and then have to work on days I'd rather have off. So clearly stat laws of the 1960s don't work in today's fast-paced economy so why not update the law to reflect the new reality?


So far you are the only one I see complaining.
 
JLM
#161
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

Many industries today require shift work. I fall into that category. In fact, I usually do end up working on statutory holidays though sometimes get a day off I'd rather not have off and then have to work on days I'd rather have off. So clearly stat laws of the 1960s don't work in today's fast-paced economy so why not update the law to reflect the new reality?


So how do you propose changing it to suit everybody? People who have suffered through months of unemployment, I'd bet would be happy whatever the arrangement!
 
Mowich
#162
Quote: Originally Posted by White_Unifier View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_genocide

Or consider the TRC's definition:

"Physical genocide is the mass killing of the members of a targeted group, and biological genocide is the destruction of the group’s reproductive capacity," the report's introduction explains. "Cultural genocide is the destruction of those structures and practices that allow the group to continue as a group. States that engage in cultural genocide set out to destroy the political and social institutions of the targeted group. Land is seized, and populations are forcibly transferred and their movement is restricted. Languages are banned. Spiritual leaders are persecuted, spiritual practices are forbidden, and objects of spiritual value are confiscated and destroyed. And, most significantly to the issue at hand, families are disrupted to prevent the transmission of cultural values and identity from one generation to the next."


Ah..........from the TRC...........why am I not surprised.
 
Hoid
#163
eth·nic group
noun
a community or population made up of people who share a common cultural background or descent.
"the largest of six ethnic groups inhabiting the area of northern Sumatra"

as it relates to no mention of culture
 
Danbones
#164
Quote: Originally Posted by MHz View Post

That might solve things for me. What are you going to do now you have been exposed to 'a fact'.


The rewrite would include a lot more than Canada so us being afraid of airing our 'dirty laundry' will be a basket full while others carry their's around in a truck, a very large truck. If we are very, very careful we can turn a basket full into a truckload withe even breaking a sweat. Going the 'other way' will result in you breaking a sweat, and perhaps a few more things as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O8oLqY2sxo
Pilgrim..

As I have said before, I spent a lot of time over the years renovating and tending bar in one way or another...

and a good bar man is a considered competent therapist...or at least a good ear.

At least ONE third of the clientel(le) has been raped by someone, sometime...but this is about institutionalized rape.

BTW, how do we know that in reality they are not celebrating this giant genocidal misdeed?

The elite are known for that kind of subtle closet BS.
 
pgs
+2
#165
Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Canada and many Canadians have shit on them for over 150 years. Do you think it might have something to do with trust?

Yes terrible , gave them a means to successfully hunt with modern firepower . Gave them the means to get to their preferred hunting grounds . Gave them modern fishing craft and netting technology. Taught them contemporary sciences . Made them into meaningful members of a progressive forward looking Canada .You are right , we should have left them to their own devices .

Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

gen·o·cide
ˈjenəˌsīd/
noun
noun: genocide; plural noun: genocides
the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.



Hmmn.............nothing in that definition that even hints of culture.

But they wanted to take the Indian out of the Indian . You know like teaching them important things ,like how to operate and maintain firearms , engines , boats , fishing nets . How to converse in Englishor French . Funny no w a days they can all do these things . Maybe we shouldn’t let them .

Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

A group of ethnic people. What's your point?

The improper and erroneous use of the term 'genocide' has become a standard of anyone who wishes to inflame emotions without having any basis in fact.

No ,not Hoid .
 
JLM
+1
#166
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Residential school problems is mostly bullshit.


Yeah, Google Arthur Henry Plint!
 
Hoid
+1
#167
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

A group of ethnic people. What's your point?

The improper and erroneous use of the term 'genocide' has become a standard of anyone who wishes to inflame emotions without having any basis in fact.

I am thinking you may not be the ideal arbiter of what's what, especially as it applies to First Nations.
 
JLM
+1
#168
Quote: Originally Posted by Walter View Post

Open the books. Most of the residential schools’ issue is bullshit.


I think we do hear more of the bad side than the good, but that happens in pretty well every situation in life! Can you imagine a movie on prisons just showing the boys playing cards?
 
Mowich
+4
#169
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

I think we do hear more of the bad side than the good, but that happens in pretty well every situation in life! Can you imagine a movie on prisons just showing the boys playing cards?

It goes far beyond simply not hearing about any good that was done for natives by Canada, JLM. The activist types are complicit in allowing their 'stories' to be falsified such as is the case with the Charlie Wenjack tale, actively work to muzzle their own people who have different stories to tell about the Res Schools and refuse to acknowledge their own culpability in both the disappearance and murders of missing native women and the reasons why children were taken from impoverished and dysfunctional families.
 
Twin_Moose
+3
#170
Oral history has it's advantages
 
JLM
+2
#171
Wouldn't it be more sensible just to dedicate a date for it without having to make it a paid holiday?
 
White_Unifier
#172
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Wouldn't it be more sensible just to dedicate a date for it without having to make it a paid holiday?

Agreed. Or at most allow people to choose from a mong a number of holidays including that one.
 
Hoid
#173
it is not a paid holiday.
 
petros
+4
#174
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Wouldn't it be more sensible just to dedicate a date for it without having to make it a paid holiday?

June 21 is already Indigenous Day.
 
MHz
-1
#175
Give them some immigrants to boss around, make them feel more like a real Canadian.
 
Decapoda
+3
#176
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowich View Post

gen·o·cide
ˈjenəˌsīd/
noun
noun: genocide; plural noun: genocides
the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.



Hmmn.............nothing in that definition that even hints of culture.

It's part of what seems to be a deliberate movement to redefine terms to in today's era of extreme social activism and victimhood culture.

Genocide was once a term reserved to define only the worst human atrocities of cultural "cleansing" by way of mass murder of a particular group within a larger group. The word "genocide" is a combination of the Greek word génos ("race, people") and the Latin suffix -cide ("act of killing").

There has been a conscious effort in recent times to now include within that group people who's culture has been altered through the inevitable societal change which naturally comes about from immigration and changing demographics. This is a false premise, since all cultures are in a constant state of change. If the premise has any merit, can we now declare that since our current Prime Minister declares Canadian culture dead, and that Canada is now a "post-national state", that Justin Trudeau is guilty of genocide? I don't think so.

There is no doubt that the residential school system had a negative impact on indigenous culture, and no doubt that there were bad things done within this system. This is not unique to residential schools, just ask the pope. However, the effort to "assimilate" natives into current cultural norms was done not out of a deliberate attempt to kill a culture, but to better one. Obviously we can now find fault in this effort through the lens of today's social conscience, but it's disingenuous and wrong to judge the intentions of previous generations as cultural genocide.
 
Hoid
#177
It is disingenuous a wrong to deny that a genocide occurred.
 
JLM
+1
#178
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

It is disingenuous a wrong to deny that a genocide occurred.


Can you give us that in English?
 
Decapoda
+2
#179
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoid View Post

It is disingenuous a wrong to deny that a genocide occurred.

Trudeau says Canada has no ‘core identity’
Late last year, Justin Trudeau told the New York Times that Canada is becoming a new kind of country, not defined by our history or European national origins, but by a “pan-cultural heritage”.

“There is no core identity, no mainstream in Canada,” Trudeau said, concluding that he sees Canada as “the first post-national state.”



So, is this genocide too?


Trudeau campaign forced to address 2010 comments on Alberta
Canada (is) "better served when there are more Quebecers in charge than Albertans...This country, Canada, it belongs to us."


How about this...genocide?
 
Walter
#180
Quote: Originally Posted by Decapoda View Post

Trudeau says Canada has no ‘core identity’
Late last year, Justin Trudeau told the New York Times that Canada is becoming a new kind of country, not defined by our history or European national origins, but by a “pan-cultural heritage”.

“There is no core identity, no mainstream in Canada,” Trudeau said, concluding that he sees Canada as “the first post-national state.”



So, is this genocide too?


Trudeau campaign forced to address 2010 comments on Alberta
Canada (is) "better served when there are more Quebecers in charge than Albertans...This country, Canada, it belongs to us."


How about this...genocide?

Turdoh is shallow.