Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by bluebyrd35 View Post

Exactly, but it proves my point.........taking reasonable precautions is sensible, worrying/fearing about everything that might happen is not. Life is a learning experience.

Precisely. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, my twelve-bore and my nine mike-mike, they comfort me."

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Precisely. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, my twelve-bore and my nine mike-mike, they comfort me."

Ugh...NOoooooo............... Humans have crawled up out of the slime and are still around because we have been able to learn through experience over the centuries and to pass that experience on.

Oooops forgot...We have not learned how to prevent warfare. It does make one wonder if this is nature's way of culling out the human species though. If we did not send a certain portion of our young out to war regularly, there would be far too many of us for the world to support.

Tecumsehsbones

Ugh...NOoooooo............... Humans have crawled up out of the slime and are still around because we have been able to learn through experience over the centuries and to pass that experience on.

Yeah, and one thing we learned is to make, keep, and bear arms.

Quote:

Oooops forgot...We have not learned how to prevent warfare. It does make one wonder if this is nature's way of culling out the human species though. If we did not send a certain portion of our young out to war regularly, there would be far too many of us for the world to support.

Nah, war is an incredibly cost-ineffective way to control population. Disease and famine are way better.

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation

Yeah, and one thing we learned is to make, keep, and bear arms.

Nah, war is an incredibly cost-ineffective way to control population. Disease and famine are way better.

Oh yes famine and disease does a great job of cutting down the population in the poor parts of our world. It doesn't work well for population growth in the case of wealthier nations. These countries do not starve, and most of the better off citizens have medical care. With abortion and birth control frowned upon, making war seems to be the main choice here.

JamesBondo
+1
I'm glad to see that we are agreeing that taking reasonable precautions is a good idea, even if we don't agree on what that means. Maybe, it would be best to consider that reasonable is as broad and variable as the law abiding citizens that live in this great country.

There was much talk recently about the right to stand your ground as if everyone has a choice to turn tail and run away. It simply is not true. Due to health conditions and physical disabilities, many citizens would be signing their death certificate if they tried to turn their backs and run away. Are they being unreasonable if they stand their ground? Of course not.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by JamesBondo View Post

I'm glad to see that we are agreeing that taking reasonable precautions is a good idea, even if we don't agree on what that means. Maybe, it would be best to consider that reasonable is as broad and variable as the law abiding citizens that live in this great country.

There was much talk recently about the right to stand your ground as if everyone has a choice to turn tail and run away. It simply is not true. Due to health conditions and physical disabilities, many citizens would be signing their death certificate if they tried to turn their backs and run away. Are they being unreasonable if they stand their ground? Of course not.

Even in "mandatory retreat" states, it is generally held that there is no safe retreat from a gun (that's a general statement, there is some variation). So in addition to your perceptive comment on the condition of the intended victim, there is also recognition that retreat is not always possible even for the able.

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation

Even in "mandatory retreat" states, it is generally held that there is no safe retreat from a gun (that's a general statement, there is some variation). So in addition to your perceptive comment on the condition of the intended victim, there is also recognition that retreat is not always possible even for the able.

Standing your ground where there is no access to your trusty side arm, can be rather disastrous. The only time I was robbed, was getting on a bus at rush hour. Several men closed in on my purse and rifled it while a large mob pushed us into the bus. I could not even say who they were once on the bus, never mind shoot them. They would have had my gun as well had I carried one. I knew what was happening and could not do a thing about it.

So these days, I carry very little of value in my purse. Kleenex, some used, a pen or two, cheap pair of reading glasses and perhaps the book I am reading. My card, license etc. is usually in an inside pocket.

JamesBondo
And how will that protect you? They won't know what you have until after they have assaulted you and made off with your worthless purse.

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation

And how will that protect you? They won't know what you have until after they have assaulted you and made off with your worthless purse.

It protects my assets. What else would they need from a lady who is well over 70? Since over all these years that one and only theft occurred in the middle of Montreal in broad daylight when I was not even 20 years old, I guess I do a reasonable job of protecting myself.

Your outrage reminds me of my sister's experience a few years ago. She was walking her dog and two young hoodlums demanded her purse. She told them they really didn't want her purse. They said yes they did and snatched it anyway and ran with it. It turned out to be an old purse she used to store the plastic bags of pooper-scooping of excrement from the dog!!

What was even funnier, all her friends in her apartment building insisted she report the attempted robbery to the police. She did and she is still mortified by the laughter of the whole police station.

Tecumsehsbones

Standing your ground where there is no access to your trusty side arm, can be rather disastrous. The only time I was robbed, was getting on a bus at rush hour. Several men closed in on my purse and rifled it while a large mob pushed us into the bus. I could not even say who they were once on the bus, never mind shoot them. They would have had my gun as well had I carried one. I knew what was happening and could not do a thing about it.

So these days, I carry very little of value in my purse. Kleenex, some used, a pen or two, cheap pair of reading glasses and perhaps the book I am reading. My card, license etc. is usually in an inside pocket.

I'm sorry that happened to you. But you seem to be insisting that a gun is only useful as a protective measure if it is infallible, despite the fact that you acknowledge that your protective measures are not infallible. Why the difference?

JamesBondo

It protects my assets. What else would they need from a lady who is well over 70? Since over all these years that one and only theft occurred in the middle of Montreal in broad daylight when I was not even 20 years old, I guess I do a reasonable job of protecting myself.

Your outrage reminds me of my sister's experience a few years ago. She was walking her dog and two young hoodlums demanded her purse. She told them they really didn't want her purse. They said yes they did and snatched it anyway and ran with it. It turned out to be an old purse she used to store the plastic bags of pooper-scooping of excrement from the dog!!

What was even funnier, all her friends in her apartment building insisted she report the attempted robbery to the police. She did and she is still mortified by the laughter of the whole police station.

So sorry to disappoint. I don't get outraged by 70 year old ladies, just people that would want to hurt them.

I'm sorry that happened to you. But you seem to be insisting that a gun is only useful as a protective measure if it is infallible, despite the fact that you acknowledge that your protective measures are not infallible. Why the difference?

Not everyone should own a gun, nor needs to. They can clearly be the benefactor to a civilized neighborhood brought about by good citizens( and police) arming themselves. I don't mind watching out for those that can't or won't watch out for themselves. I suspect most responsible citizens feel the same way that I do.

Tecumsehsbones

Not everyone should own a gun, nor needs to.

Absolutely not. Unless you have looked deep within and decided you can kill, you shouldn't own one.

Quote:

They can clearly be the benefactor to a civilized neighborhood brought about by good citizens( and police) arming themselves. I don't mind watching out for those that can't or won't watch out for themselves. I suspect most responsible citizens feel the same way that I do.

I certainly hope so, and I generally agree. At least enough of them to be there when needed.

Sal
No Party Affiliation

Absolutely not. Unless you have looked deep within and decided you can kill, you shouldn't own one

I think if my life or the life of someone I love was threatened I could kill. But what I don't know is whether or not I could live with it after, how could one know that until after and then it's too late

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal View Post

I think if my life or the life of someone I love was threatened I could kill. But what I don't know is whether or not I could live with it after, how could one know that until after and then it's too late

Still, nice to have the chance to find out. Considering the alternative.

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
+1

Good grief, one pickpocket in a lifetime doesn't seem to be too bad to me. In my opinion, it did not call for buying a gun or taking any further protective measures, except from then on I took a cab home instead of a bus, whenever my arms were loaded with parcels. Oh perhaps I didn't mention that originally. I would have elbowed my purse away from whoever had hold of it at the time.

LOL, I did hit one guy in the head with my umbrella when he pinched me at a bus stop though. Over the years, I have picked up a few defensive moves and have yet to try them out on anyone. Oh well, hopefully there is still time.

Colpy
Conservative
+1
Firearms sports safer than hockey, football € Medicine Hat News

Just a letter to the editor, but interesting.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy View Post

Firearms sports safer than hockey, football › Medicine Hat News

Just a letter to the editor, but interesting.

While I would have no problem sending a dozen twelve year old boys down to the local pond to play hockey. I sure as hell wouldn't send the same group out with 22 rifles.

JamesBondo
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan View Post

While I would have no problem sending a dozen twelve year old boys down to the local pond to play hockey. I sure as hell wouldn't send the same group out with 22 rifles.

You should not be teaching your boy to shoot a 22 rifle over water.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

You should not be teaching your boy to shoot a 22 rifle over water.

What if the target is on the other side?

JamesBondo
…Smoke on the water, then fire in the sky.

B00Mer
No Party Affiliation

Absolutely not. Unless you have looked deep within and decided you can kill, you shouldn't own one.

Call'in ya on that one.. Bull S H I T !!!

London 2012 Olympics

Shooting is an Olympic sport..

While I disagree with you on gun control, this is very well put, and quite accurate. Forgive Boomer, please. Compensation issues, don'tcha know. He has a real big truck too.

Jealous, huh??

My life down here is so far untouched by the violence.

Say Hello to George Zimmerman ... ya no guns in Florida..

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by B00Mer View Post

Call'in ya on that one.. Bull S H I T !!!

London 2012 Olympics

Shooting is an Olympic sport..

Jealous, huh??

Say Hello to George Zimmerman ... ya no guns in Florida..

Whoa, what about the words "my life" is so hard to understand. There are street smart rules as well as smart home ways to take a lot of the risks out of daily life anywhere.

Oops just finished posting and guess what ......school shooting.......2 students and one employee wounded. It may be that home schooling will become the rule in the US in the future.

Well, should have waited a bit....Employee of a small store managed to shoot another one in the shoulder accidently. Geez and the news has just started!!

LOl......the rest of the news was about 2 trials going on......one of woman who shot her husband, in self defense, one of policeman who shot a young man and the police are searching students after a lockdown when the rumour got started about a gun on campus. Haven't heard what they found yet. All this going on in Florida. Maybe I should have waited until the news is done!!

JamesBondo
Anecdotal

JamesBondo
+3
Today, I was in the waiting room of an automobile repair shop, and a police officer came in. He stopped to pour himself a coffee, and I noticed that he is packing a taser, a handgun, and several clips of ammo.

It got me thinking, why didn't any of the anti-gun nuts in that room( or others like it) get all panicy and disturbed because "there's a GUN in this room.....OMG!"?

Is it possible that even the anti-gun nuts secretly realize that a gun in the hands of a good person is not a problem? Maybe their mission is not anti-gun. Maybe their mission is anti-rights. Perhaps, they are not happy unless the rights of good citizens are reduced to that of less than a police officer or a criminal.

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
+1

Today, I was in the waiting room of an automobile repair shop, and a police officer came in. He stopped to pour himself a coffee, and I noticed that he is packing a taser, a handgun, and several clips of ammo.

It got me thinking, why didn't any of the anti-gun nuts in that room( or others like it) get all panicy and disturbed because "there's a GUN in this room.....OMG!"?

Is it possible that even the anti-gun nuts secretly realize that a gun in the hands of a good person is not a problem? Maybe their mission is not anti-gun. Maybe their mission is anti-rights. Perhaps, they are not happy unless the rights of good citizens are reduced to that of less than a police officer or a criminal.

Come now....that is not hard to deduce is it?? As reasonable, law abiding individuals, as a group, we have decided, that 1. laws are needed....2. Those enforcing the law should have the resources to do so.

We send our soldiers out to fight a war with the best defenses we are able to. Luckily, our troops are, even without the absolutely best in terms of weapons, they have become the best respected in the world by those they protect as well as those they fight against.

Those who fear weapons in the hands of Canadian troops or police are very few compared to many other nations. We are doing something right.

JamesBondo
Wow, you missed the point completely, or least you are pretending to have missed it.

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation
No I didn't....merely reinforcing it. Very few people even notice policemen with the tools of their trade in Canada. However, the fear factor here is greater. (US) I am more on guard here, with armed guards, policemen etc. I am not giving them a wider berth because of who they are but for why they are about, particularly if there is more than one; but because there may be a more deadly reason for their presence.

It is too easy to acquire a gun here. It seems that is the first thing the young seek to acquire, particularly in the poorer districts. Of course those who want few gun rules, because they are collectors, hunters or merely because they feel the need of protection , use fear to keep the status quo. They use the fear of police, the fear of uprisings, the fear of invasion, in fact fear of anyone coming to the door. What a way to live.

JamesBondo
+2
lol you are so far off, I'm too lazy to correct you.

bluebyrd35
No Party Affiliation

lol you are so far off, I'm too lazy to correct you.

Considering I live in both countries, do you not wonder who is sooo far off??

Hmmm......so you think Canada should fall in behind the US in gun laws?? We should join the most lawless modern country in the world and live in fear. Gawd you are right in your self-judgement. .

Colpy
Conservative

Considering I live in both countries, do you not wonder who is sooo far off??

Hmmm......so you think Canada should fall in behind the US in gun laws?? We should join the most lawless modern country in the world and live in fear. Gawd you are right in your self-judgement. .

There are 103 nations in the world with worse murder rates than the USA.

That is a LONG way from "the most lawless modern country in the world "