What to do About the Trumpites Now

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+2
Now that Trump is toast, we should move on...or can we? The misogyny, racist attitudes and lack of basic understanding of complex political issues remains a significant problem in relation to his supporters. It's easy to say that we dodged a bullet but it is conceivable that another, more politically savvy politician could pick up the torch.

I don't think Trump was as much a problem as he was a symptom of a problem. Addressing the problem is the best way we can ensure this nuttery doesn't continue in each successive election.

Simply put, is it possible to appease the Trumpites and if so, how

taxslave
Free Thinker
+2
What makes you think Trump is toast?

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslave View Post

Reality and common sense.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Trump is your stereotypical "ugly American".... Study him and Uncle Sam may actually become great in the eyes of the world again

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannuck View Post

Reality and common sense.

Both of which you are sadly lacking in.

Corduroy
+1
Trump's candidacy didn't create the problem. He exposed it and gave it a sense of its own legitimacy. If Trump loses, those people, and probably Trump too, won't be going away. I doubt what's left of the Republican establishment can reign it in. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump ran for the Republican nomination for the next election. The real worry is that a calmer person could tap into the Trump base directly stoking the fear and violent tendencies of Republican voters and their predilection for strongmen without being the fragile little baby that Trump is and flying off the handle at the smallest slight or insult.

Tecumsehsbones
Ted Cruz.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1

Both of which you are sadly lacking in.

Says the guy that believes in homeopathy

Blackleaf
Hollywood A-listers should stop shrieking and admit Trump was right - when you are a star, women let you do what you want | Coffee House

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

Trump's candidacy didn't create the problem. He exposed it and gave it a sense of its own legitimacy. If Trump loses, those people, and probably Trump too, won't be going away. I doubt what's left of the Republican establishment can reign it in. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump ran for the Republican nomination for the next election. The real worry is that a calmer person could tap into the Trump base directly stoking the fear and violent tendencies of Republican voters and their predilection for strongmen without being the fragile little baby that Trump is and flying off the handle at the smallest slight or insult.

Yup, I think this time, we were lucky in that Trump was not likable. Without addressing the root causes, a more likable "Trump" may be able to win the next election. It's all but a slam dunk that Clinton will be the Democratic nominee and as unpopular as she is, somebody with a little charisma can do some damage

JLM
No Party Affiliation

That's what I was wondering! Maybe the lad should read up on the 1948 election!

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

Trump claims he won that one but he was cheated out of it.

Corduroy
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by Tecumsehsbones View Post

Ted Cruz.

It's hard to say whether Cruz lost to Trump because he's a more disgusting human being or a less disgusting human being. Either way, he's got a different set of problems to work through next time he runs for president.

Yup, I think this time, we were lucky in that Trump was not likable. Without addressing the root causes, a more likable "Trump" may be able to win the next election. It's all but a slam dunk that Clinton will be the Democratic nominee and as unpopular as she is, somebody with a little charisma can do some damage

I doubt the root causes will be addressed. These roots aren't just the Republican electorate. They are essence of American democracy.

mentalfloss

Maybe you should stop saying lad.

petros
+2
I hope both Hillary and Trump made wise choices for running mates.

Whoever wins won't be alive for a full term.

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Kinda hard to be called a lad while you are in your 40s?

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post

Can you send me a list of acceptable words I can use? Never thought "lad" is objectionable!

Quote: Originally Posted by Corduroy View Post

It's hard to say whether Cruz lost to Trump because he's a more disgusting human being or a less disgusting human being. Either way, he's got a different set of problems to work through next time he runs for president.

I doubt the root causes will be addressed. These roots aren't just the Republican electorate. They are essence of American democracy.

I guess the burning question now is who is more disgusting between Trump and Hillary! I guess Hillary would have the edge as, as a "lady"?? she is expected to follow a higher standard of conversation. Calling Bill a C.S. just isn't polite, especially within hearing distance of an audience.

Corduroy
+2

I guess the burning question now is who is more disgusting between Trump and Hillary! I guess Hillary would have the edge as, as a "lady"??

Also because Donald Trump is a grotesque anus faced orange that brags about compulsively grabbing women's genitals.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
...as if groping his daughter's butt wasn't enough to make one wonder if it was constitutional

petros
+4
#19  Top Rated Post
Which is more than likely bullsh-t boasting. I don't like the guy either but to go from him BS boasting to being accused of actions is a big leap.

I've heard hundreds of men boast about bizarre BS of conquest that they could never accomplish even if they tried to pay a woman.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by petros View Post

Which is more than likely bullsh-t boasting. I don't like the guy either but to go from him BS boasting to being accused of actions is a big leap.

I've heard hundreds of men boast about bizarre BS of conquest that they could never accomplish even if they tried to pay a woman.

I even know a few farm labourers that boast about owning the farm. I don't put a lot of stock in bragging

MHz
The Dixie Chicks should re-brand their loyalties.

davesmom
+3
Trump's supporters, whom people like to call names, might just be the smartest of the voters. Are they the only ones who see the truth of what is and has been going on in Washington?

Clinton's supporters are like sheeple; they will go along with anything no matter how corrupt it is.

Trump's supporters are firmly dug in and wont go away just because he loses the election. I think there will be future hell to pay now that so many of the dirty dealings have been revealed. In fact, losing the election to the sleazy dishonesty and lies from the Clinton campaign will probably fuel the fire against the 'establishment'.

petros

I even know a few farm labourers that boast about owning the farm. I don't put a lot of stock in bragging

Have you? That's nice.

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

Trump's supporters, whom people like to call names, might just be the smartest of the voters...

...and Elvis might just be alive and living in Moose Jaw. I think the odds of both are about the same.

Here's a challenge for you. Instead of telling us how smart you might be, show us how smart you are. Say something smart...I'll wait

JLM
No Party Affiliation

Have you? That's nice.

I think old Sleepy had this f**ker figured out, best just to ignore him!

petros
+1
If this is how he wants to spend his time while on EI for yet another winter so be it.

Interact with it or ignore it but it will be back to mowing grass come May.

Enjoy your winter as you see fit.

taxslave
Free Thinker
+1

WE also know some special needs types that put in time in the recycling depot that pretend they are bigwigs in the city maintenance deot.

Curious Cdn
Conservative
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by davesmom View Post

Trump's supporters are firmly dug in and wont go away just because he loses the election. I think there will be future hell to pay now that so many of the dirty dealings have been revealed. In fact, losing the election to the sleazy dishonesty and lies from the Clinton campaign will probably fuel the fire against the 'establishment'.

There you have it. Trump is now claiming that he is going to lose the election because the system is rigged and that there is a conspiracy against him.

So long, American democracy. If he wins, it becomes a one party state and Hillary is hunted down and imprisoned. If Trump loses, tens of millions of well armed dimwits go to war against the US government, who "obviously" fixed the outcome because, after all, Trump is simply the greatest ever (just ask him).

Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
+1

I think old Sleepy had this f**ker figured out, best just to ignore him!

Too late

WE also know some special needs types that put in time in the recycling depot that pretend they are bigwigs in the city maintenance deot.

It must really upset you to so routinely embarrassed by a lowly recycling sorter

If this is how he wants to spend his time while on EI for yet another winter so be it.

Interact with it or ignore it but it will be back to mowing grass come May.

Enjoy your winter as you see fit.

Speaking of EI, you laid off yet. I imagine the crops must be done around your parts

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious Cdn View Post

There you have it. Trump is now claiming that he is going to lose the election because the system is rigged and that there is a conspiracy against him.

So long, American democracy. If he wins, it becomes a one party state and Hillary is hunted down and imprisoned. If Trump loses, tens of millions of well armed dimwits go to war against the US government, who "obviously" fixed the outcome because, after all, Trump is simply the greatest ever (just ask him).

It may be a little early to discount the possibility that perhaps Hillary does belong in jail!