Fired nursing home worker gets job back after hidden camera scandal

spaminator
Sarah Deeth, QMI Agency
First posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 07:43 PM EST | Updated: Friday, January 31, 2014 07:58 PM EST
A nursing home employee who was fired after video footage of abusive treatment at the facility surfaced should be allowed to return to work, a provincial arbitrator has ruled.
The man was one of four staffers fired after Camille Parent hid a camera in his 85-year-old mother's room at St. Joseph's at Fleming last April.
Footage captured the man canoodling with a female co-worker while Parent's mother lay in bed beside them.
Other images, released to the media and eventually to police, were shocking.
One employee was seen shoving a feces-filled cloth in the seniorís face, and roughly handling her while she changed her diaper on another occasion.
Another clip caught a worker wiping his nose on Parent's motherís sheets while he changed them.
The resulting attention led to a restructuring of the facility's board of directors, the temporary suspension of admissions at the home and a criminal investigation.
Fired nursing home worker gets job back after hidden camera scandal | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminator View Post

Sarah Deeth, QMI Agency
First posted: Friday, January 31, 2014 07:43 PM EST | Updated: Friday, January 31, 2014 07:58 PM EST
A nursing home employee who was fired after video footage of abusive treatment at the facility surfaced should be allowed to return to work, a provincial arbitrator has ruled.
The man was one of four staffers fired after Camille Parent hid a camera in his 85-year-old mother's room at St. Joseph's at Fleming last April.
Footage captured the man canoodling with a female co-worker while Parent's mother lay in bed beside them.
Other images, released to the media and eventually to police, were shocking.
One employee was seen shoving a feces-filled cloth in the seniorís face, and roughly handling her while she changed her diaper on another occasion.
Another clip caught a worker wiping his nose on Parent's motherís sheets while he changed them.
The resulting attention led to a restructuring of the facility's board of directors, the temporary suspension of admissions at the home and a criminal investigation.
Fired nursing home worker gets job back after hidden camera scandal | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

I'm hoping this was someone who was just caught up in the melee in error when the scandal first erupted and not someone recorded doing any of the things mentioned in the article.

Family Demands Answers After Mother Injured in Care Home

In this particular story, I'm willing to bet that they dropped her and just won't admit it.

Quote:

A family is searching for answers after their elderly mother was badly injured at a long-term care facility on Vancouver Island.
Seven years ago, Oscar Akouri's now 94-year-old mother suffered a stroke that left her with extremely limited movement. He has had to pay for her care at Victoria's Glenwarren Lodge and has visited her there every day since.
On Jan. 4, Akouri received a call from the care home informing him that his mother had fallen and had been admitted to hospital.
"We receive a call from the facility: 'Your mom fell from the bed and she's okay. She's conscious,'" Akouri tells CBC News.
Akouri and his brother rushed to the hospital and found his mother badly injured, with cuts and scrapes on her face and forehead.

If you are unable or have extremely limited movement, how do you fall out of bed? The only plausible scenario is that she was not placed on the bed in a safe manner or that they dropped her while moving her. Maybe it's just me, but I'd always been of the impression that professionally trained staff were capable and competent to transfer people with limited mobility. I noticed however that outside of a hospital, I've seen nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists (one radiologist wanted her to "hop up" onto the scanning table-a woman in a wheelchair with a broken leg in a cast, she ended up on the floor) scratching their heads over how to move my mother. Actually on a couple of occasions I even came up with a plan of action myself in how to get things done.

I don't know, I'm beginning to think that all these homes should have CCTV installed for monitoring purposes. I don't think all homes are bad, I'd be willing to bet that most of them are not actually, nor do I think the staff is necessarily bad, but I do think the large organizations that run them will cover up and we need something in place to help us hold them to account.

Sal
+1
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote:

On Thursday an arbitrator ruled that the canoodling male employee should be able to return to work.

hopefully he learned his lesson, as for the abusive behaviour performed by the others, they should never be able to work with vulnerable population again, kids, adults animals...they need to find a new career after they are pay hefty fines and or do jail time.