Military Could Detain American Citizens Indefinitely Under New Act


Mowich
Conservative
#1
The US Senate vetoed an amendment which would have eliminated this measure, a controversial - to say the least! - proviso in new the National Defense Authorization Act - the vote was 61 to 37.

The White House has warned that it will use veto.

"Congress is essentially authorizing the indefinite imprisonment of American citizens, without charge," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who offered another amendment -- which has not yet gotten a vote -- that she said would correct the problem. "We are not a nation that locks up its citizens without charge."

Senate Votes To Let Military Detain Americans Indefinitely, White House Threatens Veto




 
petros
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
Hooray for fake freedom pimps!
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
#3
A radio news report indicated Obama plans on vetoing it if it reaches his desk. You have to wonder why it is being pushed and how certain pols plan on gaining from pushing it. Well, we'll see what happens next.
 
Highball
+1
#4
Gopher has a valid point. Who, why and why now? It is becoming more apparent to me every day that all the US Constitution is now is a document under close guard in an environmentally safe place but it is almost useless to Americans today. With every session of the Congress the situation in the US is becoming more restrictive every day. And they want to raise our taxes to boot. Maybe its time to look at another location to emigrate to?
 
ironsides
No Party Affiliation
+2
#5
This is just another reason you cannot play around with any part of the US Constitution. There are reasons it was written the way it was. We dumped King George for doing the same thing. (similar)
 
Tonington
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by Highball View Post

Maybe its time to look at another location to emigrate to?

I hear good things about Greenland.
 
gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2
#7
Already the police have the power to detain anybody they want even though there is nothing in the Constitution to authorize that. Nobody objects to that. Now the feds will soon have the same authority with the Patriot [sic] Act and possibly this new law. Mark my words - sooner or later people are going to regret their apathy.
 
PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
+1
#8
I started a thread 6 months ago about how the governments were moving toward a police state and got chastised and laughed at. Now people who chastised me for my comments then are saying similar things here. What has changed in such a short time. I had mentioned how Posse Comantadus had been repealed and the Patriot Act extended (using the supposed assassination of Bin Laden as reason). I just have to wonder how far it will go before more people realize what is happening.

My bet is Obama will cave at the last minute and sign it into law citing some special circumstance or intelligence report. Possibly starting a war with Iran.
 
Cliffy
Free Thinker
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNick View Post

I started a thread 6 months ago about how the governments were moving toward a police state and got chastised and laughed at. Now people who chastised me for my comments then are saying similar things here. What has changed in such a short time. I had mentioned how Posse Comantadus had been repealed and the Patriot Act extended (using the supposed assassination of Bin Laden as reason). I just have to wonder how far it will go before more people realize what is happening.

My bet is Obama will cave at the last minute and sign it into law citing some special circumstance or intelligence report. Possibly starting a war with Iran.

I have been saying that since the 60s. You think people think you are nuts! I also say that people will not pull their heads out of their butts until the jack boot gives them a head ache.
 
ironsides
No Party Affiliation
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by Tonington View Post

I hear good things about Greenland.

Yea, Yea, you can all move to Greenland.
 
Mowich
Conservative
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

Yea, Yea, you can all move to Greenland.

Sounds like a pretty cool place, mind you I don't have Big Brother breathing down my neck. LOL!

About Greenland
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#12
There was a time not so many months ago when anyone suggesting American Civil War 2 would have been laughed at. Suppression of westerners and particularly US Americans has entered the material stage, big time, now that the education system has marinated the consumer. Holly Wood has been very bad schooling.
god bless vice president Harper
 
ironsides
No Party Affiliation
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

There was a time not so many months ago when anyone suggesting American Civil War 2 would have been laughed at. Suppression of westerners and particularly US Americans has entered the material stage, big time, now that the education system has marinated the consumer. Holly Wood has been very bad schooling.
god bless vice president Harper

American Civil War 3. Lets not forget Civil Rights and Vietnam.
 
In Between Man
Free Thinker
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher View Post

A radio news report indicated Obama plans on vetoing it if it reaches his desk. You have to wonder why it is being pushed and how certain pols plan on gaining from pushing it. Well, we'll see what happens next.

Proof Obama Will NOT Veto NDAA 1031 Bill that can Indefinitely Detain Americans! - YouTube
 
petros
#15
This is one of those "conspiracy theories" that have became conspiracy fact. Seems to be a **** load of that going on lately. Why?
 
EagleSmack
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver View Post

There was a time not so many months ago when anyone suggesting American Civil War 2 would have been laughed at. Suppression of westerners and particularly US Americans has entered the material stage, big time, now that the education system has marinated the consumer. Holly Wood has been very bad schooling.
god bless vice president Harper

I am laughing at that as I read it!
 
Niflmir
Free Thinker
#17
Just so you know, the White House is threatening to veto this bill because they claim that they already have the powers so enshrined, they don't want to be forced to use military detention on foreigners (because it comes out of the defense budget), and they think the law will complicate their ability to use the powers they claim they already have.

So, there is nothing noble about the veto.
 
WLDB
No Party Affiliation
#18
With all the crazy powers the US government now has it kind of seems like Bin Laden won.
 
ironsides
No Party Affiliation
+1
#19
We have always had those crazy powers you refer to, and have used them occasionally in the past when needed. Just read our history.
.
 
Niflmir
Free Thinker
#20
I'm well aware ironsides. Shredding the constitution for "exceptional" circumstances, like a war against your own citizens, makes it basically worthless.

"The government shall be allowed to abridge the rights of the people to X whenever it is inconvenient for the government to permit such rights."

I am trying to find out where that is written, however.
 
WLDB
No Party Affiliation
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

We have always had those crazy powers you refer to, and have used them occasionally in the past when needed. Just read our history.
.

Indeed, in an actual war. With this 'war on terror' there is no end date.

Even then they were controversial moves and the powers were abused.

Not sure if it was Franklin or someone else who said "Those who give up liberty for safety will recieve neither".
 
ironsides
No Party Affiliation
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Niflmir View Post

I'm well aware ironsides. Shredding the constitution for "exceptional" circumstances, like a war against your own citizens, makes it basically worthless.

"The government shall be allowed to abridge the rights of the people to X whenever it is inconvenient for the government to permit such rights."

I am trying to find out where that is written, however.

Here is a starting place for you.

"Canada, U.S. agree to use each otherís troops in civil emergencies



Canada and the U.S. have signed an agreement that paves the way for the militaries from either nation to send troops across each otherís borders during an emergency, but some are questioning why the Harper government has kept silent on the deal.

Canada and the U.S. have signed an agreement that paves the way for the militaries from either nation to send troops across each otherís borders during an emergency, but some are questioning why the Harper government has kept silent on the deal.

Neither the Canadian government nor the Canadian Forces announced the new agreement, which was signed Feb. 14 in Texas.

The U.S. militaryís Northern Command, however, publicized the agreement with a statement outlining how its top officer, Gen. Gene Renuart, and Canadian Lt.-Gen. Marc Dumais, head of Canada Command, signed the plan, which allows the military from one nation to support the armed forces of the other nation during a civil emergency.

The new agreement has been greeted with suspicion by the left wing in Canada and the right wing in the U.S."

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=403d90d6-7a61-41ac-8cef-902a1d14879d&k=14984


 
SLM
No Party Affiliation
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

Here is a starting place for you.

"Canada, U.S. agree to use each otherís troops in civil emergencies



Canada and the U.S. have signed an agreement that paves the way for the militaries from either nation to send troops across each otherís borders during an emergency, but some are questioning why the Harper government has kept silent on the deal.

Canada and the U.S. have signed an agreement that paves the way for the militaries from either nation to send troops across each otherís borders during an emergency, but some are questioning why the Harper government has kept silent on the deal.

Neither the Canadian government nor the Canadian Forces announced the new agreement, which was signed Feb. 14 in Texas.

The U.S. militaryís Northern Command, however, publicized the agreement with a statement outlining how its top officer, Gen. Gene Renuart, and Canadian Lt.-Gen. Marc Dumais, head of Canada Command, signed the plan, which allows the military from one nation to support the armed forces of the other nation during a civil emergency.



I'm not worried about this. Probably because I'm not paranoid.

But I have to say that this line....

Quote:

The new agreement has been greeted with suspicion by the left wing in Canada and the right wing in the U.S."



I just find deliciously funny! Oh politics makes such strange bedfellows.

 
ironsides
No Party Affiliation
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

[/FONT]

I'm not worried about this. Probably because I'm not paranoid.

But I have to say that this line....



I just find deliciously funny! Oh politics makes such strange bedfellows.

[/SIZE]


I'm fine with this also.
 
SLM
No Party Affiliation
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsides View Post

I'm fine with this also.



It's ridiculous, polar opposite ideologies but both opposed. Wonder why?

Oh yes, because each ones respective government, the government behind the deal, is not to their liking.

My enemies enemy is the enemy of my friend. Or something like that.
 
MHz
#26
Time for the 48M (better yet the homeless)that are on food stamps to turn themselves in. By the time 20M do it the Gov will have to be booking hotels as a prison.
 
ironsides
No Party Affiliation
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

It's ridiculous, polar opposite ideologies but both opposed. Wonder why?

Oh yes, because each ones respective government, the government behind the deal, is not to their liking.

My enemies enemy is the enemy of my friend. Or something like that.
[/FONT]

I have no idea, except that they just maybe the only ones keeping us under control by making us think they are two organizations.