Martin 'a jackass' - Parents of slain teen say.

Breakthrough2006
Let's see what Canadians think of Martin's brilliant idea.

MAPLE -- Prime Minister Paul Martin is a "jackass" if he thinks that banning handguns will "choke off" the deadly weaponry of Toronto street gangs, says a man whose son was slain.

"For this so-called prime minister of ours to come into the low-income areas of this city and make a statement banning guns ... I look at him as a jackass ... and I'll never vote Liberal again as long as I live," said Theodore Huxtable, whose eldest son Jason, 18, was killed on Aug. 30.

And Huxtable gave a stern warning that if justice is not served in his son's death, he will seek his own vengeance.

"I'll be part of your news ... I've told police the same thing ... they say 'Mr. Huxtable, you shouldn't make these statements' ... they can't say I didn't warn them," he said.

Huxtable said his family's grief is so overwhelming that he just doesn't care.

His eldest son, Jason Huxtable, a loving, friendly, gentle, hard-working churchgoer, was slain in his car at a Magellan Rd. townhouse complex, near Jane St. and Shepherd Ave., in broad daylight as he drove there to give a female friend a ride.

He was not a criminal and did not have gang links. His parents believe he was shot out of envy.

His alleged killer is a 15-year-old boy who is charged with second-degree murder. Under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, his name cannot be published.

Martin made his controversial handgun ban statement Thursday during a campaign stop at a community centre in the violence-plagued Jane-Finch area.

His proposal would impose a national ban on handguns and double minimum sentences for trafficking and smuggling guns or carrying loaded guns.

Huxtable said teen gangs will ignore Martin's proposed law in much the same way they ignore the current law.

"This man goes into the ghetto and says he wants to ban guns -- they are laughing at him," he said yesterday.

Bitterly angry at his son's murder and the relative lack of response to more than 50 gun-related murders in Toronto so far this year, Huxtable said desperate measures are necessary.

He is furious youths are treated with kid gloves and he accused politicians and other leaders of racial bias.

"Black on black ... who gives a rat's ass," he said with sarcasm.

"No white kids are getting killed."

He also lamented how high-profile leaders expressed such outrage over the desecration of headstones at a Jewish cemetery earlier this year, while the gang issue is largely ignored.

Huxtable said the only politician who has contacted him about his son's death is Toronto Councillor Jane Pitfield, a mayoral hopeful.

Once steadfast Liberals, Huxtable and his wife Yvette, both Jamaican immigrants, now say Liberal crime policies help create teen gang violence.

Sitting in the comfortable living room of their Maple home yesterday, the couple noted they once lived in the Driftwood "ghetto" where Martin announced he would ban guns.

A few years ago, when the Huxtables had put together enough savings -- Theodore from his job with Lufthansa and Yvette from Shopper's Drug Mart -- they moved their sons Jason and his younger brother Justin, now 15, to Maple.

They note the much- maligned Driftwood area has produced doctors, engineers and Olympic athletes.

Poor parenting, a lack of core values, inappropriate role models and few, if any, consequences, due to soft youth laws, fuel the gun violence, Huxtable said.

Building more community centres in the "ghetto" areas is not the answer, Huxtable said, because it will only create more "headquarters for criminals."

Existing centres need more staff, programs and security, he said.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Hand guns have no other purpose

than to kill people. Breakthrough, I assume from the way you presented this topic that you are in favour of handguns. The man who lost a child to a hand gun should be in favor of getting the damn things off the street.

Breakthrough2006
Insinuating that I am in favour of guns would be sayng that the father who lost his son is also in favour of hand guns.

You seem to have missed the entire point of the article.

Banning hand guns which have been banned since 1930 anyway will do absolutely NOTHING to solve the gun violence in Canada, It was just another cheap publicity stunt by the Liberals to gain votes while doing absolutely nothing to address the issues. (looks like it backfired) MUCH tougher gun laws are what we need. If you get caught with a gun, there should be a minimum 5 year sentence. Commit a crime with a gun, minimum 10 year sentence. Kill someone with a gun and you should be locked away for life. REAL life, not the life the judges give which is 25 years minus 10 years for good behaviour which ends up being 15 years.

The banning of handguns at an expense of $350 million will do just as much good as the 2 Billion dollar gun registry. NOTHING.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

Hand guns have no other purpose

than to kill people. Breakthrough, I assume from the way you presented this topic that you are in favour of handguns. The man who lost a child to a hand gun should be in favor of getting the damn things off the street.

Now you have pissed me off.

I own handguns. My brother owns handguns. Many, if not most, of my friends own handguns. My father, the most decent man I have ever met, owned handguns.

We all used them. None of us EVER pointed one at anybody, much less killed anyone.

The idea that handguns are only good for killing people is absolute BULLSHIT!

MORE IMPORTANTLY, who the hell are you to tell a man who just lost his son what he should think or do?
The elitism, the lack of humility, the all-powerful belief that the left, and the left alone have been blessed with knowledge of truth is so sickening, and so typical of the damned social engineers that run this country.

Reverend Blair
Handguns are designed to kill people. That is what they are made for. If you use them for something else, so what...the Liberal plan allows you to keep them.

So drop the fake indignant act. Quit with the charges of elitism too. The CPC is full of elitists, including Harper and MacKay.

Martin's plan also went further than just the handgun ban. Perhaps you guys should read the policy instead of the op-ed columns in the right-wing press.

Breakthrough2006
Quote:

Handguns are designed to kill people. That is what they are made for. If you use them for something else, so what...the Liberal plan allows you to keep them.

So then it's NOT a complete ban on hand guns. You are correct Rev but the Liberal press release made it clear that it was a ban on handguns. Lies upon lies.

Quote:

Quit with the charges of elitism too. The CPC is full of elitists, including Harper and MacKay.

You should do some research on the party leaders. Martin was born into a millionaire family and is himself a self made multi millionaire. That would make him an "elitist". Harper was born into a middle class family and is not even a millionaire much less a multi-millionaire. It is in fact the Liberals that are elitists.

Reverend Blair
Martin was born into the family of Liberal MP. He made himself a millionaire.

Harper was/is part of the Calgary School...a neo-conservative group that pushes the elitist political teachings of Leo Strauss. Harper headed the NCC...an elitist lobbying/pressure group that form to privatise medicare.

Notice that I didn't say that Martin wasn't an elitist, just that Harper was too.

TenPenny
I like the point that was made that in response to tragic gun deaths in mainly poor neighborhoods, this proposal will buy guns back from middle class Canadians.

Don't see how it will help.

I'm in favour of gun control, but this plan seems utterly stupid. Utterly. I guess Martin doesn't want any votes outside of Toronto. But that's his call. He's going to be burned big time in Atlantic Canada over this one thing.

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by Breakthrough2006

) MUCH tougher gun laws are what we need. If you get caught with a gun, there should be a minimum 5 year sentence. Commit a crime with a gun, minimum 10 year sentence. Kill someone with a gun and you should be locked away for life. REAL life, not the life the judges give which is 25 years minus 10 years for good behaviour which ends up being 15 years.

"His proposal would impose a national ban on handguns and double minimum sentences for trafficking and smuggling guns or carrying loaded guns"
That's what is in the article, so isn't that close to what you want when it comes to jail time? Doubling sentences seems like a step in the right direction to me.

I personally don't care if there is a handgun ban or not. They don't hold any value to me and the way some gun owners handle them makes me less than sympathetic to their cause.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
Anything that reduces the number

of handguns on the street has got to help. The gun owners all cry, "Guns don't kill, people kill". I would change that to; "People with guns kill". just like people with knives and people with clubs or whatever. If Martin announced his intentions limit handguns in a neighborhood that has had a lot of gun violence, so be it. I wonder if the people who were shot would object to Martin's plan to further reduce the number of handguns on the street. It seems that because the shootings have mostly involved black people from a couple of neighborhoods in Toronto, it is somehow racist to bring it up.

Colpy
Conservative

of handguns on the street has got to help. The gun owners all cry, "Guns don't kill, people kill". I would change that to; "People with guns kill". just like people with knives and people with clubs or whatever. If Martin announced his intentions limit handguns in a neighborhood that has had a lot of gun violence, so be it. I wonder if the people who were shot would object to Martin's plan to further reduce the number of handguns on the street. It seems that because the shootings have mostly involved black people from a couple of neighborhoods in Toronto, it is somehow racist to bring it up.

Just for the sake of argument, let's say that Martin succeeds in removing every handgun from the streets of Canadian cities.

The punks then take up sawed of rifles and shotguns, which kill much more effectively than handgun.

I knew one guy that was murdered with a gun. He was a criminal, it was about 1975, he was doing a dope deal in a car, and the seller killed him with two shots to the chest.....with a sawed off .410 shotgun loaded with slugs. Shot him because he was black, BTW.

That sawed off .410 was vastly more powerful than the .38s and 9mms on the street now.

The most deadly short range weapon on earth is a 12 ga. pump action shotgun.

I guess the gov't would be after them next.

#juan
No Party Affiliation
A sawed off 410

with slugs would be about as accurate as the worst handgun and harder to conceal. On the other hand, punks with guns are probably not worried about accuracy. A 12 ga. pump shotgun loaded with buckshot is probably the most dangerous gun out there but damned hard to conceal. Besides, they can get both those guns now. We don't need tougher gun laws, we need tougher sentences for gun offences.

Breakthrough2006
Quote:

of handguns on the street has got to help.

I'm sure the drug dealers and gang bangers are going to line up to give up their hand guns.

Quote:

That's what is in the article, so isn't that close to what you want when it comes to jail time? Doubling sentences seems like a step in the right direction to me.

Not even close. Right now it's a one year sentence which will be changed to 2 years. And that's if the gun is used in committing a crime.

Quote:

Notice that I didn't say that Martin wasn't an elitist, just that Harper was too.

I'm surprised that you would actually admit to your propoganda.

yballa09
Dont most of the people that commit crimes with these handguns already possess them illegally? So what good would banning them do, the criminals will always find alternative ways to get them. I agree with juan who said that we dont need tougher gun laws, we need tougher sentences for gun offences. Martin has gone a step in the right direction, but i think more needs to be done to really address this problem.

the caracal kid
The gun problems stem from deep within society.

I do not think bans of any kind ever work. I also do not think that "getting tough" with stiff/long sentencing accomplishes anything other than creating a large prison population.

Calberty
It's hard to argue with Martin's policy. why not spend a billion dollars trying to ban handguns when two provinces have already announced they won't participate in enforcing the ban.

Ottawa, Ontario pandering to Torontonians. AGAIN. Time for more decentralization and vigilant protection of Provincial rights.

tracy
I've heard it said that most illegal guns are simply legal ones that have been stolen from those legal gun owners. These guns aren't all being smuggled in from China are they?

Grover Knight
Tougher sentences on people who use guns in crimes. Restrictions on Hand Guns, and that is it.

I am tired of the ghetto world spilling across Canada. They dont hammer down on the crooks, but pass laws that effect all of us.

I live in the country and need my gun, for hunting, protection from dangerous animals, and I plumb like guns. For some inner city problem, to have an effect on me is ludicrous. The last murder committed here by a gun was in 1884. There is simply no murder here. To take your leftist shit and cram it down my throat. For me to give up my rights, this is a right, and bow to your inner city problems, is not going to happen. If Toronto wants a ban on guns, go for it. If other big cities want to make it illigal, go for it. Just like the old west, leave your guns outside the city. If you get caught packing heat, you pay the time. If they think that the rest of us, who follow the rules, pay our taxes, and take there shit are going to just kiss there ass..... They can dream a little longer.

Grover Knight
Martin is a fool.

Grover Knight
Hell the RCMP themselves, have made it very public, very known, and very clear, that the guns laws do not work. The money was wasted, the money was foolishly used to register non-criminals. That same money could have been used to upgrade the RCMP, and am sure would have helped stem crimes.

Colpy
Conservative

A sawed off 410

with slugs would be about as accurate as the worst handgun and harder to conceal. On the other hand, punks with guns are probably not worried about accuracy. A 12 ga. pump shotgun loaded with buckshot is probably the most dangerous gun out there but damned hard to conceal. Besides, they can get both those guns now. We don't need tougher gun laws, we need tougher sentences for gun offences.

Exactly.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by tracy

I've heard it said that most illegal guns are simply legal ones that have been stolen from those legal gun owners. These guns aren't all being smuggled in from China are they?

No, some of them are stolen, but that would be, in my estimation, a miniscule number. Many are smuggled in from the States.

It requires only a tiny number of guns to arm the criminal element, and they will always be available.

Consider this: How are these gang bangers making a living?

Dealing dope.

If you are able to import pounds of cocaine, getting guns is never going to be a problem.

I see no reason for me to be penalized for the actions of scum on Toronto streets.

Grover Knight
Martin isn't looking at this with any kind of tact. You cannot under estimate the under world, they will kill when they choose to kill, with or without the law. It is a matter of methods, dirty guns are readily available by the millions. Education, tough time on those who choose to committ murder (especially gang related), and these things would not be as big an issue. Our judicial system is a joke, revolving doors in our prisons, people are not as scared of being caught as they used to be. Just a word to the wise, 100 yrs ago, it would have been a quick drop and a short stop at the end of a rope, if you shot sombody down in cold blood.

Maybe people would think twice about pulling the trigger.

Reverend Blair
Funny how none of the pro-gun people here is calling for more border security. If there's a problem with illegal guns coming in from the US, then the obvious solution is to check cars and trucks for guns as carefully as the US checks for drugs. Start seizing vehicles, start hassling every redneck trying to get across the border from the Maritimes to the west coast. Pay special attention in Ontario and Alberta.

I think it might be good to institute some profiling too. In the west, it's mostly white men in pick-up trucks that bring guns across. White men in pick-up trucks need to be searched at every crossing from Thunder Bay to the Pacific Ocean.

Colpy
Conservative
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Funny how none of the pro-gun people here is calling for more border security. If there's a problem with illegal guns coming in from the US, then the obvious solution is to check cars and trucks for guns as carefully as the US checks for drugs. Start seizing vehicles, start hassling every redneck trying to get across the border from the Maritimes to the west coast. Pay special attention in Ontario and Alberta.

I think it might be good to institute some profiling too. In the west, it's mostly white men in pick-up trucks that bring guns across. White men in pick-up trucks need to be searched at every crossing from Thunder Bay to the Pacific Ocean.

Geez, Rev, you wouldn't be advocating racial profiling, would you?

How quickly the "principles" of the left disappear under pressure.

Racial profiling for a guy trying to get a box of bullets cheap.

None for guys wanting to blow up the western world.

II'll never understand lefty "logic".

BTW, I think you'll find a lot of guns smuggled in from the US come from your First Nations friends. Ah well, perhaps a little more racial profiling......or police presence on reserves......

Reverend Blair
Actually I was just making fun of the inherently racist redneck movement, Colpy.

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy

Geez, Rev, you wouldn't be advocating racial profiling, would you?

I don't think he understands what the word means....

CutThroat
I honestly cannot believe he things banning handguns is going to work. This isn't england. Criminals will just bring the handguns across the border. Or even just order them over the internet. This law will do nothing but leave the general public unarmed.

Some gangster in TO shoots up a bunch of people and now some old man who collects guns in Alberta looses his precious belongings. I don' t think Martin could get any dumber.

Reverend Blair
Quote:

I don't think he understands what the word means....

I understand exactly what it means, Jay. I also understand that the Conservative Party supports racial and religious profiling. That's why I took the opportunity to make fun of them.

Quote:

Some gangster in TO shoots up a bunch of people and now some old man who collects guns in Alberta looses his precious belongings. I don' t think Martin could get any dumber.

Except the guy in Alberta won't loose his guns. You forgot to learn the facts, CutThroat.

Doryman
Quote: Originally Posted by Grover Knight

I live in the country and need my gun, for hunting, protection from dangerous animals, and I plumb like guns.

You need a handgun for hunting? What are you stalking? The Spotted Mountain Crip, or what?

I don't see much of a need for handguns, never did. Shotguns and rifles are used for hunting, not Sig Sauers, so I can understand the argument to keep long guns legal and available. ( Hell, I've got lots myself) Pistols are only for killing humans or target shooting, and target shooting is simply a training excercise for killing people. So, it irritates me when people argue that their gun is only for target shooting. Garbage, your gun is for shooting people who may want to kill you or your family. Have the guts to be honest, at least.

However, as much as I'm not a big fan of handguns, I don't agree with banning them. IT will do virtually nothing to stop the flow of guns into our country, and will similarly do nothing to stop gang violence. It's a useless gesture that plays well with the media.

Institute harder gun laws, get more border protection, more police presence in gang-heavy areas, and close our borders to imigrants with a violent or criminal past. Better yet, deport any immigrant who becomes involved with gang activity. THey want to bring Jamaican gang warfare into Canada, we'll send it back to Jamaica.