What's Michael Moore been up to?

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morgan View Post

Yeah... I saw that non-promotion of violence in the statement:

"And please, next time some "supporter of the troops" says to you with that concerned look on their face, "I thank you for your service," you have my permission to punch their lights out (figuratively speaking, of course)."

So, I'm guessing that this is the 'quote out of context' to which you refer?.. The one that has the disclaimer at the end that his lawyer probably demanded that he include?

So, please tell me o wise one... How does one provide permission to punch their lights out in an 'out of context' sense?

Does Moore believe that those with his expressed permission, the antagonist will mime their actions and thoughts?

Perhaps they'll simply state it verbally and quickly add-in that this is not to be construed as a threat of physical violence but as anecdotal commentary on their 'lack of support'.

You've never heard anyone in your life use physical references for verbal 'bouts'? Come on now.

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by karrie View Post

You've never heard anyone in your life use physical references for verbal 'bouts'? Come on now.

Sure I have... But Moore still spit out those very specific words, and no amount of disclaimers can change the actions that he provided his permission for, figuratively or not?

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+3
lol. Good to know he carries such immense stroke. lol.

Seriously, it sounds like it was thrown in to bait people into using it like Loc did, as a catchy headline to spread the article with. He clearly states he means it in a figurative sense. But, you're going to manufacture outrage over it, and carry his message further than if he'd simply stated his opinion on what it means to support the troops.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1

lol. Good to know he carries such immense stroke. lol.

To the true believers he does, certainly to the tune that they've contributed to his net worth being in the 8 figures

He clearly states he means it in a figurative sense. But, you're going to manufacture outrage over it, and carry his message further than if he'd simply stated his opinion on what it means to support the troops.

Nothing but a disclaimer... Would that work if Moore hollered 'FIRE - (figuratively speaking)' in a crowded theater?

Spade
Free Thinker
+1
Too often people who claim they "support the troops" are like school children who form a ring around two combattants. They cheer their favourites, enjoy the violence, and push the boys back in the ring if the fight seems to be ending. Moore is not like that.

Locutus

Sure I have... But Moore still spit out those very specific words, and no amount of disclaimers can change the actions that he provided his permission for, figuratively or not?

He likes his attention.

Machjo

lol... if you take a quote out of context he's promoting violence. If you actually read it... no.

The part where he says he's being figurative.

Ah. Ok.

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+2

Whoa slow down there Stretch Armstrong!

Lol. Sorry, like him, dislike, agree with him, disagree with him, whatever but you're literally choosing to take a figurative expression (and one that was expressly stated as being figurative) literally.

He does a lot of over the top antics, but this ain't one of them. It's a big stretch.

Spade
Free Thinker

Too much packaging; too little substance. I ain't buying!

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by SLM View Post

Whoa slow down there Stretch Armstrong!

Lol. Sorry, like him, dislike, agree with him, disagree with him, whatever but you're literally choosing to take a figurative expression (and one that was expressly stated as being figurative) literally.

He does a lot of over the top antics, but this ain't one of them. It's a big stretch.

Lemme ask you.... If the expression was figurative, and it completely understood, then why add-in the disclaimer at the end?

Wouldn't that be redundant?

Tell ya what, maybe you can answer the question that I posed earlier.... Would it be OK to yell "FIRE - figuratively speaking" in a crowded theater?

Quote: Originally Posted by Spade View Post

Too much packaging; too little substance. I ain't buying!

Hey, the troll is back!

How's tricks?

SLM
No Party Affiliation
+1

Lemme ask you.... If the expression was figurative, and it completely understood, then why add-in the disclaimer at the end?

Is your beef with how he structures his sentence then?

Look, I don't for a second believe he meant it seriously, or literally I should say, and I don't think any sane person would either. I think he was making a joke, not necessarily a good one, but a joke none the less.

Quote:

Tell ya what, maybe you can answer the question that I posed earlier.... Would it be OK to yell "FIRE - figuratively speaking" in a crowded theater?

It would be stupid to yell that because that makes no sense.

Spade
Free Thinker
+1

Hey, the troll is back!

How's tricks?

Bullying women, Cap; so unlike you!

Mind you, they've handled you quite easily.

karrie
No Party Affiliation

apples and oranges. No soldier, or anyone else, who's read his article is going to punch someone out. They're smarter than that. if they read far enough to hit that sentence, they'd have read the whole thing, not cherry picked a quote out of context.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

Is your beef with how he structures his sentence then?

His sentence was quite clear.... He provided his permission to punch people that feigned support for the troops.

Look, I don't for a second believe he meant it seriously, or literally I should say, and I don't think any sane person would either. I think he was making a joke, not necessarily a good one, but a joke none the less.

Tell ya what, would it make a difference if he provided his permission to assassinate folks that feigned support for the troops?

Shouldn't make a difference right, because he can qualify it by saying 'figuratively speaking'

It would be stupid to yell that because that makes no sense.

How does someone 'figuratively' punch someone?... Herein lies one of the underlying problems with Moore's commentary.

Mind you, they've handled you quite easily.

What? No pics to add to the troll?

Shame on you Spade... Shame

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2
Your hate on is showing captain. You really shouldn't wear spandex when you are angry.

Spade
Free Thinker
+3
Why so angry, Captain?
Is it because
A. Moore was right about the Iraq war?
B. He pointed out that institutional greed was behind the sub-prime meltdown?
C. He advocates socialized medicine?
D. You have been shown to be the weaker sex?
E. All of the above?

Quote: Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post

Your hate on is showing captain. You really shouldn't wear spandex when you are angry.

But pampers...

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

Why so angry, Captain?
Is it because
A. Moore was right about the Iraq war?
B. He pointed out that institutional greed was behind the sub-prime meltdown?
C. He advocates socialized medicine?
D. You have been shown to be the weaker sex?
E. All of the above?

F. None of the above

But pampers...

Very interesting here... Cliffy with his fascination with Spandex and cousin Spade with a diaper fixation.

Sounds like you 2 have some wild parties in the privacy of Cliffy's trailer..... Nice remote location too, no one hears the man-ecstasy ringing from within... Say, does that make you kissin' cousins?

karrie
No Party Affiliation

His sentence was quite clear.... He provided his permission to punch people that feigned support for the troops.

When you take it out of context of the rest of the statement.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

When you take it out of context of the rest of the statement.

Context is entirely subjective.

Would Moore's comment have been equally acceptable in your eyes if he had provided his permission to punch or assault the President?

karrie
No Party Affiliation
+1

Context is entirely subjective.

Would Moore's comment have been equally acceptable in your eyes if he had provided his permission to punch or assault the President?

Again you're comparing apples to oranges. Debate, argument, and discussion actually have colloquial comparison to bouts, rounds, sparring. so when you say 'figuratively punch them out', there's actually some basis there.

But to try to apply it to a specific person, in the specific manner that suits you, no, likely would not be acceptable.

Liberalman
Free Thinker
+1
The smart soldiers quickly realize in the theatre of war that it was propaganda that put them in harms way after that they are just trying to survive to complete their missions and their service to their country.

Cliffy
Free Thinker
+2

F. None of the above

Very interesting here... Cliffy with his fascination with Spandex and cousin Spade with a diaper fixation.

Sounds like you 2 have some wild parties in the privacy of Cliffy's trailer..... Nice remote location too, no one hears the man-ecstasy ringing from within... Say, does that make you kissin' cousins?

I was going to correct Spade, that he should have used Depends instead of pampers, but in view of your childish response, I think he correctly assessed the situation.

SLM
No Party Affiliation

There's no bullying. I get the point he's trying to make, I just don't agree with it.

At the end of several paragraphs where he stated, over and over, that people who purport to support the troops (and he included himself) really only pay lip service to it. Like Karrie said, it's a common euphemism for debate and discourse

Quote:

Tell ya what, would it make a difference if he provided his permission to assassinate folks that feigned support for the troops?

Shouldn't make a difference right, because he can qualify it by saying 'figuratively speaking'

Let me put it to you this way. You and I are talking one day and I'm telling you all the problems my teenager is causing these days. I'm rolling my eyes, I'm making casual jokes about it, they did this, they did that, you wouldn't believe the problems they're causing and I finish off with telling you that I just got a call from the school principal, again, they didn't show up at school.

So then I say "Love to stay and chat some more but I need to go home and strangle my firstborn, figuratively speaking of course."

Are you going to call the authorities and report a murder about to happen?

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+1
Um,
1. Who gives a crap what Moore says?
2. Everyone that pays taxes in the States supports the troops.
3. People join the military for all kinds of reasons, not just to "save lives and defend the country". For instance, to get education and job training, to get some action, to avoid prison, to play "hero", etc.
4. "I support you, and will try to do more to be there for you. And the best way you can support me -- and the ideals our country says it believes in -- is to get out of the military as soon as you can and never look back." But Moore forgot to say, "..... and to spend lots of dough on my movies and crap so I can get richer".

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Um,
2. Everyone that pays taxes in the States supports the troops.
3. People join the military for all kinds of reasons, not just to "save lives and defend the country". For instance, to get education and job training, to get some action, to avoid prison, to play "hero", etc.
4. "I support you, and will try to do more to be there for you. And the best way you can support me -- and the ideals our country says it believes in -- is to get out of the military as soon as you can and never look back." But Moore forgot to say, "..... and to spend lots of dough on my movies and crap so I can get richer".

5. Figure the uniform will enhance their "love life"!

L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by JLM View Post

5. Figure the uniform will enhance their "love life"!

Falls under the "playing hero" bit.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois

Again you're comparing apples to oranges.

Context is highly dependent on subjective interpretation, is it not?.. That's the part of this argument that undermines your position.

Debate, argument, and discussion actually have colloquial comparison to bouts, rounds, sparring. so when you say 'figuratively punch them out', there's actually some basis there.

"you have my permission to punch their lights out (figuratively speaking, of course)."

I get the colloquial euphemism, but his comment can also be taken at face value, can it not? Moore left that barn door wide open

That said, how does one figuratively punch someone's lights out?

But to try to apply it to a specific person, in the specific manner that suits you, no, likely would not be acceptable.

I don't see how this supports your position. Moore's suggestion singles out all people that feign to support the troops.

Fact is, by simply altering one small element in that sentence and preserving the underlying principle that Moore espoused, you now suggest that the comment is unappropriate.... It is or it isn't;

I was going to correct Spade, that he should have used Depends instead of pampers, but in view of your childish response, I think he correctly assessed the situation.

... But the spandex comment was the height of maturity?

Typical

There's no bullying. I get the point he's trying to make, I just don't agree with it.

At the end of several paragraphs where he stated, over and over, that people who purport to support the troops (and he included himself) really only pay lip service to it. Like Karrie said, it's a common euphemism for debate and discourse

Let me put it to you this way. You and I are talking one day and I'm telling you all the problems my teenager is causing these days. I'm rolling my eyes, I'm making casual jokes about it, they did this, they did that, you wouldn't believe the problems they're causing and I finish off with telling you that I just got a call from the school principal, again, they didn't show up at school.

So then I say "Love to stay and chat some more but I need to go home and strangle my firstborn, figuratively speaking of course."

Are you going to call the authorities and report a murder about to happen?

Change your scenario from a first person iteration of what I'm going to do with "I suggest that all first borns be strangled"... Now, take that statement and publish it with the MSM.

A little different now, isn't it

JLM
No Party Affiliation
I think the "big picture" is being missed here, whatever Michael Moore says, is not worth repeating and definitely doesn't warrant a thread!

Quote: Originally Posted by L Gilbert View Post

Um,

Nobody with a brain!-

55Mercury
+2

That said, how does one figuratively punch someone's lights out?

The same way Karrie and SLM are tearing you a new a55hole.... figuratively.

go figure

Cliffy
Free Thinker

... But the spandex comment was the height of maturity?

No, it was just a play on "You're hate on is showing." My mind doesn't think so much in words as it does in imagery.